Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Hope Cassette!
  • Dougal
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2010-hopes-new-cassette-with-integrated-freehub-27582

Crazy stuff.

The thing is, anyone who is worried enough about an extra 20g, isn't going to be running Hope hubs. They'll run other considerably lighter options.

Also; alloy cassette rings? They'll last about a week in the UK based on the TA road ones I used to sell.

meehaja
    Free Member

Green though.

shortcut

Looks interesting. Wouldn't want one though! Does solve the issue of cassettes eating their way into those alloy freehb bodies.

neil853
    Free Member

hasn't something similar been done by shimano 20 years ago? it was called a freewheel sprocket :roll:. Plus will it shift as well as shimano? doubt it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd like a blue one as an ornament 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

How muuuch!!?? 😯

br
    Free Member

Hope cassette works out 20g lighter than with a freehub and SRAM's top-end XX sprockets fitted.

Its not just 20g, but 20g lighter than an XX setup.

Might be useful as a racing 'spare', if you've already one of more ( 😉 Hope hubs already – and at XTR/XX prices – so competitive.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, the 22 and 32 tooth aluminium TA rings I had fell apart with comedy quickness, except for the fact they took a chain and a weekend's riding with them…

I'd have thought you'd be the first to argue that these aren't aimed at normal riders though Dougal, you could probably get a season or two of racing out of that cassette if you only used it on race day?

tails
    Free Member

It's an interesting concept and I'm glad people are trying these things.

doubt it.

A cassette is hardly the most complex piece of engineering for a company with there CNC technologies. Reckon it will cost though!

clubber
    Free Member

This actually looks more interesting

soma_rich
    Free Member

. Expected to hit shops in early 2011, the new cassette will sell for around £150.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I like Hope stuff but that chain device is fugly…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

mysterymove – Member

I like Hope stuff but that chain device is fugly…

Looks better than the crappy MRP equivalent.

lovewookie

Expected to hit shops in early 2011, the new cassette will sell for around £150.

When the XX cassette is £250 looks like it's a bargain.

Apart from the XX being machined steel and (probably) lasting longer.

Suppose it depends how long the Hope one does actually last.

I get through normal cassettes probably twice a year if I change my chain (and chainring if need be) three of four times.

two XX's =£500. Suppose the Hope lasts half that. annual cost of £600.

If you like bling, like weight saving, and can afford to spend £250 on a XX cassette how much does £100 mean really?

njee20
    Free Member

When the XX cassette is £250 looks like it's a bargain.

£306 at retail, and mine's worn out after a season, just as XTR would be. I think that looks really interesting.

Edit: although any hub that's 20g lighter than a Pro 2 obviously still weighs less. Also… I wonder if it's SRAM or Shimano spacing, as if we believe the hype they're not interchangeable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely aluminium is fone for the big rings (say 25t upwards) as it lasts fine in chainrings which get a lot more use?

Maybe 3x aluminium rings, 4x Ti in the middle (light and hard), 3x steel (hard and cheep) would make a good cassette?

clubber
    Free Member

I'm still not entirely convinced but irrespective, it's good to see Hope coming up with something different. I wonder if they'll sell the gold/steel sprockets separately – that'd be cool…

clubber
    Free Member

Just another thought but hasn't Shimano's Hyperglide patent just expired which would mean that Hope could simply copy/use the same design…

EDIT – hmmm… seems that it expired a while ago actually.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, and has been copied by folk like Recon for their full ti cassette.

Do the steel sprockets not just bolt onto the alu ones, so even if they did sell them aftermarket they wouldn't work with anything else, there's no splines in there.

Maybe 3x aluminium rings, 4x Ti in the middle (light and hard), 3x steel

KCNC do something similar for their cassette, they last about 30 seconds!

clubber
    Free Member

so even if they did sell them aftermarket they wouldn't work with anything else, there's no splines in there.

😳 ahem… yes, I didn't really think that through did I 😳

foxyrider
    Free Member

From the other post:

What about the SRAM XX cassette @ £200 +

And a hope Pro II freehub body is say £60

So combinfed that £90 for the cassette and £60 freehub body – dont think thats bad – However when the casette is worn then presumably you chuck the lot?

Buth then how would you change the bearings? I presume you can detach the integrated freehub part and replace the bearings and so I guess get an aftermarket sprocket set – also the lower 5 rings are replaceable – so probably would be fairly cheap after the initial outlay as its the first 3-4 sprockets that wear on my bikes !!

njee20
    Free Member

But the alu sprockets would wear relatively quickly too (quicker than a normal cassette certainly), so I'd expect them to wear quite quickly. They'll certainly look tatty quite quickly.

DarkIgor
    Free Member

I think you are missing some of the point. The cassette is a 9-34, giving you a better range as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No use at all but couldn't you swap the springs and pawls around in the back of that and have a bike that freewheels forwards and drives backwards? Or build a bike with the drive on the other side?

nicko74

Also on the bikeradar front page is the 250GBP SRAM 9-speed cassette – makes the Hope look like good value.

Question, though, does the integrated freehub have as many pawls and engage as quickly as a regular freehub?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Like Dougal says, anyone who cares about low weight won't want to run hope hubs. They're 100g more than a set of XTR hubs, and the idea of alloy cassettes lasting 6 minutes and resulting of a weight of 80g more than the equivalently priced XTR set up just makes it sound silly.

br
    Free Member

Question, though, does the integrated freehub have as many pawls and engage as quickly as a regular freehub?

You would think so, as it looks just like a cassette mounted on a standard Hope freehub.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Me wanty so baddy, but the limit for a cassette would have to be £80 for a coloured one that would last a while for me I'm afraid.

Would these fit Mavic Dee's wheels then?

Toasty

Like Dougal says, anyone who cares about low weight won't want to run hope hubs. They're 100g more than a set of XTR hubs, and the idea of alloy cassettes lasting 6 minutes and resulting of a weight of 80g more than the equivalently priced XTR set up just makes it sound silly.

Well, they're closer to 50g heavier than a set of centerlock XTR, but then centerlock XTR will need another 60g of centerlock adapters or heavier rotors, and this is comparing 160mm XTR to normal Hope floating rotors, never mind Ashima etc. DT centerlock adapters are 30g per end.

There are lighter hubs, but they're pretty weenie, XTR certainly isn't an example of one of them.

The new cassettes aren't mid ranged bits, I'm surpised everyone wants sub XTR/XX weight for SLX cost.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Would these fit Mavic Dee's wheels then?

No, only hope hubs. The cassette has the innards added straight to it and the whole lot pushes onto the hub like a freehub body would on a normal hope hub. It has no lockring, that's how it can have a 9t bottom sprocket.

njee20
    Free Member

Are we gonna see a set on your bike at Plymouth then BS?

9-34 is interesting way to go, I'd have thought there would be efficiency losses on a 9t, and that it'd wear rather rapidly.

elaineanne
    Free Member

cool- that green cassette will go with my apple green bike :mrgreen:

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Maybe, actually not because only 10 speed have been prototyped and are well into testing at mo and i'm still on 9 speed.
    Apparently the 9t runs good and is made from steel with ti nitride coating, there will also be 10 and 11t options.

The idea is to be able to use a single ring with a 9-34 cassette for race set ups.

I suspect the green will be for the demo stuff only and there will be other colours for retail.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Hope Cassette!’ is closed to new replies.