Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Pro II Trials/SS Hub – Experiences?
  • skyhigh_71

Hi,

I want to build up some 29er SS wheels. I am looking for a good quality rear hub for singlespeed. I want a splined freehub body as I swap sprockets fairly often for different rides. It needs to be strong as I weigh 80-85kg.

Chris King and DT 280 are out on grounds of cost.

Hope Pro II trials looks attractive, especially from a user servicability veiwpoint (good video on hope site).

There are very mixed reviews of the Hope. Majority say very good, some say weak and prone to breakage.

All agree it’s very loud.

Please give me you recommendations and experiences.

Thanks

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

I’ve got a pro 2 on my singlespeed and I love it, its noisy but you grow to like the noise, I did go through a set of bearings in about 6 months though, but the good thing about them is that it is super easy to change them.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I have a Pro II trials on the back of my Cotic Simple. I really like it. It is loud, but its fun pumping round trails like that. I like the build, everything has lasted fine, it looks nice and its made in the UK. Oh and the bolts are great on horizontal dropouts. Yeah, thoroughly recommended.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I seem to have a ‘deaf spot’ for hope hubs when I’m on the trail, but I have been using them for 9 years.

I recently rebuilt a bulb to sell, The pro2 is definitely louder. Friend has a SS pro 2 on his Curtis. Only had it a couple of months and is running fine as you would expect. Steel freehub body too I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

done about 8-10000 miles in 3 years in all weathers including a strathpuffer and the raasay rumble both notoriously wet muddy events on my pro2 SS.

1 set of bearings 2 years in even then it was only out of paranoia that i did it (contrarey to mattmagics 2 rides)
    1 axel on warrenty – due to mine being the wrong size compared to a new one and causing the bolts to self loosen
    Steel freehub showing no signs of sproket biting in and i just use a pressed steel sprocket !

triple_s

No problems with mine, currently setup 2×6 at the moment, which seems like a huge range of gears after only riding ss for a few years. Sealing doesn’t seem that great (think I probably need a new seal), but then it’s easy to pull the freehub body off and re-lube.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

great and noisy. engagement is really fast – i miss it when i get on my geared bike. Noise is not so good for stealthy night riding, but great for alerting walkers to your presence.

skyhigh_71

Thanks to all responders – my confidence in this product is growing.

Anyone know if it is easy to get the parts to convert the bolt on axle to QR?

STATO
    Free Member

I dont think you can run it as a QR, i had one and it was really good but i went back to a normal Pro 2 as i needed to run a 12mm axle for my new frame and there are no other axles for the Pro2SS other than bolt-on.

STATO
    Free Member

correction, you can get QR ends.

Here (click the dropdown menu)

Would go nice with this…

epicyclo

The Hope is only noisy if you’re slacking 🙂

The new ones have a strengthening bulge.

I like mine.

Jason
    Free Member

I have had one for 12 months or so. Very pleased with it, however I am on the 2nd set of bearings, I guess I got 6 (wet)months or so out the first set. Uptake seems very good compared to other hubs too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

After false neutrally/dodgy pick-ups on his king hub.. danny mac rides a hope now and even before before sponsorship he was running one.

skyhigh_71

Stato – thanks haven’t seen tarty bikes before, very helpful.

Seems like some reports of premature failure probably relate to early product, now cured with the buldge near the drive side flange?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II Trials/SS Hub – Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.