Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How are belt drives getting on?
  • marka.
    Free Member

Belt drives haven’t taken over the world yet. Is it just a matter of time or are they still not that good?

I’ve only tried one briefly on a Trek Soho but didn’t particularly like it: the drive felt lumpy as the teeth engaged the cog. Could just be bad adjustment on the demo bike, though, and I wasn’t a fan of the bike either.

Anyone with Alfine + belt drive combo? Any good? Any problems?

marka.
    Free Member

Does no-one have a belt drive bike?

Ringo
    Free Member

Mine works smooth as a smooth thing, need to have a winter in the mud and shit until I’m sold completely on it though

samuri
    Free Member

Never tried one but my guess is that currently it’s hard to argue with against a chain that’ll love you long time for about 7 quid.

thepodge
    Free Member

the main issue slowing the adoption of belt drive is they aren’t a simple replacement got the chain.

there aren’t many frames with an open rear end and you can’t run any kind of sprung rear tensioner such as a rear mech.

so until we see much more development in hub gears belts will always be second to a chain.

Garry_Lager

Can you put some sort of link into the belt to split it? A splitting mechanism on a frame sounds very unappealing – though I admit I’ve never seen how this is accomplished up close.

Belts don’t look convincing IMO, but it’s good to see different approaches to the MTB drivetrain. Need to explore plenty of ideas before one will prove its worth.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

ir_bandito is on holiday.
    His belt drive FS Kona-A is in development. The rear triangle flexes under heavy load and the belt slips with an almighty bang. He has bent two snubbers with his powerful leg muscles. Maintaining tension on the belt is also an ongoing challenge.
    I think chains will be around for a long time yet.

Pukeko
    Free Member

Did Dab, you forgot to mention that Bandito’s full suss belt drive is single speed config. New dropouts will probably (?) solve the slip problem that only occurs under very heavy loads that you get attempting to ride up very steep trails on SS. You probably would not get this with alfine hub gears or running on a HT. I am looking forward to a test on bandito’s to see if my 100kg of beer and pie power can cause slippage!! 🙂 However, I agree, chains will be around for a while – especially on my bike…

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I saw the Milk Bike in this month’s MBR and, though only one “from-the-rear” shot, thought it looked lovely. The Mk1 PA front end the Kobe-style TT and my choice du jour Alfine hub.

http://www.milkbikes.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/mbr/mbr-review-of-adl.jpg

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

you can’t run any kind of sprung rear tensioner such as a rear mech.

Whys that podge? I don’t see why it should be a problem?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It needs more tension than they can provide.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Stronger spring maybe?

Ringo
    Free Member

A tensioner will never give you the tension needed, gates are bringing out something called centretrack at the end of the year which you will be able to run slacker

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

That’s a shame, I’ve long hoped it would be possible to use alfine-belt-tensioner on my SC Superlight as the chain doesn’t pass through the frame. Looks like that’s not going to happen. 🙁

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It needs more tension than they can provide

in other words, a solid 10 mm Al plate can be bent quite easily.

marka.
    Free Member

Cheers all. It’s not for me, but for my brother who’s looking at new bikes. He wants Alfine (road / CX / commuter thing, not MTB, by the way) and some now come with belts as standard.

So the frames should be set up for belt (with split, non flexing, chunky tensioners etc). Just wondering whether there are any disadvantages for going with the belt drive if that turns out to be what’s on the bike he chooses.

thepodge
    Free Member

i did dab – what you on about? springs aren’t made from 10mm plate.

mark a – trek do a few road / commuter belt drive bikes off the shelf. also check out Spot Brand bikes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How are belt drives getting on?’ is closed to new replies.