Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How do Maxxis Advantage size up?
  • ferrit
    Free Member

Getting fed up with ripping the sidewalls on my 2.25 Cinders, despite loving everything else about these tyres.

Gonna try Advantages. Anyone tried both? Are the 2.25s about the same width as 2.25 Cinders? Or should I go for the 2.4?

Cheers in advance!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

2.4 advantages are huge.

ferrit
    Free Member

Wow – just noticed the multitude of options on these tyres!

Thinking probably 60a is about right. Never seen a 62 before!

nodrog2
    Free Member

2.25 advantage comes up bigger than a 2.25 cinder. Advantage rolls faster but not as good a tyre all round as the cinder. The new ardent 2.25 is very good as a rear tyre (not tried it up front yet). Team it up with a high roller or minion up front and you have a good combo. As for compound, the 60a is spot on for general use.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Chris

Thorburn is your man when it comes to Maxxis ;o)

IME you will not beat a Minion up front and then you can put pretty much anything out back. Im getting on just fine with the 2.25 Crossmark on the rear, it also has a pretty big volume.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Advantages come up very big in my experience. A 2.25 Advantage has a much bigger profile than a 2.35 High Roller. Never seen one but I’d imagine the 2.4s are enormous!

Been pretty pleased with them as an all round tyre (got 60a, best balance of performance and wear I’d say) but I think I’d go for some 2.1s for my XC when these wear out – they would size up to an average 2.25 from other makes/models I’d say.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What woodywoodbine said

ferrit
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments folks. Very useful.

auricgoldfinger

Just to say again – the 2.4’s are **** massive. Make a 2.35 Highroller look positively small.

dasnut
    Free Member

2.25s are about the size of a 2.5 High Roller

I would go the minion route myself (hey wait a minute I just did after not getting on with a 2.25 advantage)

cheers_drive

I have 2.25 Cinders and 2.1 Advantages and they come up pretty similar.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Running two bikes in the lakes so rocky terrain, one a yeti 575 with advantage 2.25 on the back and one a cove handjob hardtail with a high roller 2.35 on the back.

Find the advantage gets impact punctures a lot when really running hard on rocky downs but sizes up a good bit bigger than the high roller. Probably thinner sidewalls to keep the weight down on the advantage but then you need too much air so you lose grip. Depends on the terrain near you I guess. As said already 2.4 is huge.

Gonna try ghetto if I ever get round to it. Maxxis are supposed to be good for this.

Second the call for a minion up front, just got one and very impressed after my normal high rollers.

13thfloormonk

Chris, i’m running a 2.25 60a at the moment, pop round and have a look if you want (i’m in montpelier park now). Its easily a 2.3″ conti, if not slightly larger again.

Great tyre on the front for the pentlands etc. I’m still running something a little more paddley at the rear for the soft stuff though.

Ian

scotabroad

I have run minions, high rollers, and advantages, for XC I reckon the advantage are aptly named for all round performance compared to the cinders. One word of warning dont go for the folding ones if you are having problems with sidewalls, I had folding ones and they ripped very easily, the wire ones are a good bit tougher.

mushrooms
    Free Member

The 2.25 Advantage dwarfs 2.3 conti verts.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

if you’re killing sidewalls on cinders, the advantage will be trashed even quicker.

great tyres, still waiting for the UST to be imported to the uk.

james
    Free Member

As above, 2.25″ advantage/ardent/crossmark(?) =~ 2.5″ high roller/minion
    2.1″ advantage is about equal to a 2.25″ cinder, 2.3″ continental, 2.2″ bontrager ACX, 2.1″ Kenda Nevegal, a little smaller than a 2.35″ high roller

I saw a 2.4″ advantage once on a shop built nomad just outside of aviemore. It was really was huge! They’d specced a 2.25″ advantage on the back, presumably the 2.4″ wouldn’t fit in the back of even a nomad! The 2.6″ ardent must be insanely big

JRA reckon the advantage is better than the ardent:
    http://www.justridingalong.com/news/product-reviews/maxxis-ardent-review/
    the lack of tread between the centre rolling edge and cornering edges just doesn’t look right IMO

Hairychested
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25″ is pretty much as big (small?) as Tioga XC 1.95″. Small comparing to Intense System 4 2.35″

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How do Maxxis Advantage size up?’ is closed to new replies.