Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • How do you carry your kit on a road ride?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

how do you guys carry your tyre levers and patches etc when on a road ride? is it lycra all the way and use the pockets or do you use a saddle bag or a backpack or what? ta

crossbike
    Free Member

saddle bag

Sam

Jersey pockets should be more than sufficient unless it’s a really big one with changeable weather.

mrmo
    Free Member

jersey pockets

waspie
    Free Member

Tools, tubes, keys etc in a saddle bag and food, waterproof etc in jersey pockets.

llama

basket no hang on I mean pockets

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Do a forum search, there was a long thread on this last week.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve a teeny saddlebag for tubes, pump goes on the frame and then jersey pockets.

GW
    Free Member

don’t need tyre levers but puncture repair kit, 2x spare tubes and multi tool in a wee seat pack. HP-X frame fit pump. mobi in pocket (as I use the MP3 on it while riding.)
    if all I carried was a tyre lever and patches, I’d ust tape them to the frame.

baldSpot
    Free Member

i find the trick is not to over pack if you want to just use jersey pockets.

i still have a MTB mentality when on the road so brings lots of, I’m sure unnecessary, tools hence I use a large saddle bag.

paule
    Free Member

Standard spares that go on every ride (tubes, allen keys, change, tyre levers, windproof, powerbar) live in the seatpack. Anything extra I might need for a given ride’s weather or length goes in the pockets.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member
    IanMunro
    Free Member

Same as BD

grumm
    Free Member

Just got one of these:

ourmaninthenorth

I refer my honourable friend to the below thread, and specifically JoB’s typically on pointe response….

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/road-bike-qs

STATO
    Free Member

I use a bike bottle toolbox thing for my roadie, would normally put stuff in a jersey pocket but i need to carry a 15mm spanner to get the wheels off so this is easier.

IMG_0295

Rich.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

kwick save carrier bag hanging off the riser bar 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

It must be a big spanner to justify that bag. I also carry a 15mm to undo the nuts on my singlespeed but it fits in my jersey pocket.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What the hell do you keep in that bag?

bonj
    Free Member

it’s really depressing seeing a nice road bike with a saddle bag the size of a cow’s udder hanging off the back.
    you only need anything like as big as the one on that blue bike above on a long audax.
    if you’re going that big you might as well go for a rack top bag.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

it’s really depressing seeing a nice road bike with a saddle bag the size of a cow’s udder hanging off the back.

But the one above is a Pompino, so it doesn’t matter.

😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

pump on frame, tube and levers in seat pack, bar, phone, money and lip balm in pocket.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i’ve got a very small saddle bag for a tube. the rest (pump, food, money, lip balm, levers, phone, waterproof and sometimes map) goes in pockets.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 tubes and patch kit, one lecy taped tot he seatpost, other between the saddle rails.

Pump on frame

multitool, ipod, phone, wallet, keys in back pockets, If it looks like bad weather either wear the raincoat out the door or take a small cammelback.

AndyP
    Free Member

spare tub taped under saddle
    co2 cartridge/multitool/beer and/or cake money in jersey pocket
    iPod round neck

STATO
    Free Member

What the hell do you keep in that bag?

LOL!

The bag has my change of clothes for work, if you read the text i said i use a bike bottle toolbox thing (as seen in the bottle cage) to hold tools/tubes/spanner/tyres levers etc.

But the one above is a Pompino, so it doesn’t matter.

Touche good sir!

oldgit
    Free Member

STATO
    That would have been handy for the French tart I picked up at the weekend.

juan
    Free Member

Camelbag indeed

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, what’s wrong with a Camelbak.

STATO
    Free Member

That would have been handy for the French tart I picked up at the weekend.

You shouldnt call them that, Juan might get offended 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

Tarte aux pommes yummy yummy.

JoB
    Free Member

Tools –
    Allen key multi-tool, spoke key, teeny chain tool, bit of chain, tyre levers and puncture repair kit all stuffed in a teeny saddle-bag (if you have a large saddle-bag you might be able to squeeze a spare tube or two in as well, although a large gumpy bag will spoil the lines of your bike and mark you out as easy prey for predatory cyclists). Make sure the saddle-bag doesn’t rattle, this can get annoying, especially for other riders. If you can’t stop it rattling then adjust your gears so that they tinkle all the time, and make sure you have a squeaky cleat or creaky crank as well, just for the full effect. With the help of a toe-strap (if you have no idea what a toe-strap is then ask your parents, or the old bloke in the bike shop), a rolled-up rain jacket can be stored under the saddle too. Make sure it’s well secured so an arm doesn’t dangle out and get caught up in your gears ruining the jacket and ripping the rear derailleur off. Make sure you have that special tool for that special bit on your bike that no-one else has a tool for, you know, the 7mm spanner for that bolt that has never needed adjusting ever before but will suddenly decide to come loose 50 miles from home.

I’d advise against a Camelbak for carrying stuff. Apart from the massive faux-pas it would be, if it’s in any way hot it will feel horribly uncomfortable on the back and it will be awkward on any descents – wanting as it will to overtake your helmet. And again, it marks you out as easy prey. Don’t panic about water, bottles will be fine, there’s plenty of petrol-stations and caffs to stop at for refills.

Pockets. Are. Fine. See below…..

Jersey Pocket Etiquette
    Left-hand pocket – 2 spare tubes, energy bars/gels.
    Middle pocket – lightweight rain-cape, gillet, Buff. As necessary.
    Right-hand pocket – more energy bars/gels, and a small bag of monies.

All rolled up and tucked away neatly, no unsightly bulges or dangly bits.

njee20
    Free Member

What JoB said.

hoodoo
    Free Member

One of these might be useful.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d advise against a Camelbak for carrying stuff. Apart from the massive faux-pas it would be, if it’s in any way hot it will feel horribly uncomfortable on the back and it will be awkward on any descents – wanting as it will to overtake your helmet.

huh? Massive faux-pas? WGAS.
    Awkward on decents? How is it different from downhill on a mountainbike?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Of course, spare tubs looped round the body, food in chest pocket, bottle on handlebars is also a very good look.

JoB – chapeau.

njee20
    Free Member

No, Jo’s right, Camelbaks are seriously annoying on the road, then again try riding without one offroad, it’s liberating.

They do try and overtake you, one tends to be much lower at the front on a road bike, so it slides up your back.

PJ266
    Free Member

I use exactly the same as i do for my mtb, Wingnut (but i swap the tubes out for road ones 😉 )

JoB
    Free Member

because you’ll be in the drops, with your back flat or even with your head lower than your arse (i know that “being in the drops” is a phrase and position most mountainbikers aren’t aware of), and not sat upright like on a shopping bike

miketually
    Free Member

How high are your drop bars?/How low are your MTB bars?*

*delete as applicable

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘How do you carry your kit on a road ride?’ is closed to new replies.