• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How do you secure the gear cable in the guide hoops?
  • Kahurangi

You know, the hoops that are a ring welded on to the tube that serve as guide for a full-length outer cable. I had a look at the guides on my new inbred 456 and they're too big to have either 4 or 5 mm outer cable pass through without it rattling around.

And we don't want that, do we.

Am I missing a load of plastic shims or anything from planet-x in the box? Are you just supposed to have cable rattling around in the guides?

Smee
    Free Member

Insulating tape.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use bits of innertube

Kahurangi

Cheers folks. Bodging is fine – I'm in my element!

carlphillips
    Free Member

i cut small pieces of clear tube from an old bleed kit, then put them strategically next to each guide then forced them through the guides all at once by pulling the hose to where it should be.

looks ace (can't see it) and holds solidly.

uplink
    Free Member

I use a cable tie
    Just push it down the gap between the cable & the guide until it's tight, then just trim the visible ends

racing_ralph
    Free Member

self amalgamating tape

foxyrider
    Free Member

fill up the holes with silicone mastic then stick the cables ends in – if you put a little lube inside first the silicone doesn't stick – then you can pierce a hole though it ones it set and hey presto a good dirt seal and stops it rattling.

Kahurangi

I'd though of silicone seal but your idea is much neater… may try it 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

They don't really rattle IIRC.

IHN

What Rickos said.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How do you secure the gear cable in the guide hoops?’ is closed to new replies.