Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How long to a modicum of fitness..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Not been able to ride as I would like for nearly 18 months now, due to a couple of injuries (both bike related), work and then new baby so riding has been sporadic and managed to put on nearly 2 stone. Now time to get back to riding regularly, say 4 times week. How long before I can expect to see some ok level of fitness returning?

duntmatter
    Free Member

depends..

jimmyshand
    Free Member

3 or 4 weeks.

loddrik
    Free Member

Great, that's me sorted then 🙂

ex-pat
    Free Member

I managed to lose 2 stone in 2 months…
    Spin class on a Tuesday (and don't spare the horses).
    Swim for at least an hour on Thursday – late swim and don't stop…
    Ride a 4-6 hour ride on the weekend.
    Cut out bread (went to pita breads for lunch), cut down on pasta.
    Found something other than chocolate to eat at my desk.
    That was pretty much it, come summer I started riding out for a sprint hour long ride instead of spin during the week.

Weight fell off me. 😀
    And I gained a shed load of fitness as a result.

Now…long commute, boring job, late nights, two kids, two more stone… 🙄

ton

i have lost a stone and half in 5 weeks through sensible eating and regular weight training sessions.
    i have not inceased my riding at all, but seemed to have got fitter through the weight loss.
    20lbs is a good old lump the have to drag round with you 😉

maxray
    Free Member

You havent got fitter as a result of the weight loss you are just carrying less weight around.

I am surprised the weight training sessions are actually making you lose weight too, generally weight training builds muscle which would add weight… tho I guess if you are just using those little ones girls do with loads of reps maybe 😉

nickc

Good for you ton, keep it up

thejesmonddingo

Well done ton,which leg did you lose it off?

hora
    Free Member

Loddrik how much extra weight have you put on in the 18 months and how much has your waist increased? (sometimes it redistributes). Have a couple of weeks of complete diet change just to help adjust/spur you on.

Great time of year though to pick up your fitness- NO need for a turbo trainer 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Just having the ability (time) to get out riding will be all the motivation I need, plus I've just just built up a Van Nic Mamtor which I am pretty keen to get familiar with.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'd start of gently & build from there. Going at it Hell for leather will probably mean another niggling training injury. Expect the first few rides to be horrible and frustratingly slow and painful – especially if you have timed sections on your normal training route.

YOur heart is not yet conditioned for it and your liungs will probably be in semi-retirement, so slowly-slowly, catch a monkey in the first month would be my adviice.

4-6 months to see a real and tangible inmprovement in fitness levels, as after all, it's the recovery rate that will best indicate your improved levels of fitness. Age will also play a factor in this.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

General rule I was say to friends is 8 weeks of three to four one hour sessions a week will create a base level of fitness that will allow you to start training properly after the eighth week.

Jamie
    Free Member

and regular weight training sessions.
    i have not inceased my riding at all, but seemed to have got fitter through the weight loss.

They do say the best way to loose weight is via resistance training.

I've started running about 3 miles every day/other day, mainly to burn off excess fat than to get fit.

Found it a bit of a struggle at first, in part because I don't really like running/find it boring and also because I hadn't run for years. But it's fairly easy to find 20 minutes a day to do a run, so it's a convenient work out and after doing it 4 or 5 times, it became much easier. Gone down from 13st 5lbs to 12st 6lbs in around 7 weeks. Hope to get down to 12st eventually, but with a 2 week family holiday in America coming up, that may be a while!

poppa
    Free Member

say 4 times week

Make sure you are recovering properly, otherwise you will find it hard to maintain your frequency of exercise, enjoy it less, and potentially be less likely to keep it up!

If I was riding 4 times a week I would probably take two of the rides fairly steady, and two of them at a higher intensity. Not that i'm a training expert or owt.

Jamie
    Free Member

but with a 2 week family holiday in America coming up, that may be a while!

At least at 12st 6lbs you will positively emaciated in comparison to our American brothers* 8)

*yes I know this is a crass generalisation.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How long to a modicum of fitness..?’ is closed to new replies.