Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • How low can some people go??
  • steviegil
    Free Member
    sc-xc

I bet most of them don’t even know what they’re holding up. I suppose if they were in a proper league, they’d have something better to think about.

martymac

get a f*****g life, its a game of football, not a political rally,
    people take their kids to these places for goodness sake.

pastcaring
    Free Member

sad people, sad lives…

RealMan
    Free Member

no blod stained poppy on our hoops?

wtf?

sc-xc

Hoop = bumhole
    Blood = Harry monk
    Poppy = Penis
    No = Lots of

Junkyard
    Free Member

you cannot understand why people of irish catholic extraction would not respect our boys. Perhaps you should read up on stuff like the black and tans, bloody sunday or a number of other incidents over the last 400 years done by our givernment and our boys there.
    Does it surprise you that some palestians are not that keen on Israelis?
    You may not agree with it but you cannot see their view point? I find that surprising.
    Sectarian violence is unacceptable but lets not pretend we [GB] are somehow an innocent bystander on this we did put the protestants there .

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

sad people, sad lives…

What, for expressing their opinions? Like you’re doing on here?

Do you not see the irony in this??

steviegil
    Free Member

Junkyard – fair point.

I bet the black stuff they would have been drinking before the game will be the only irish connection in 90+% of them though…

RealMan
    Free Member

Wow ok, thanks sc-xc, I think..

midlifecrashes

I am of Irish Catholic extraction and all through the 70s and 80s through the height of the troubles respect for the poppy on both sides in NornIrn (Coleraine at least where I grew up, but also most of Derry) was close to universal. Of course maybe we’ve moved another thirty years away from WW2 and that memory might be fading.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Really cannot understand people who think like this..

Well fortunately you’ve come to the right place. Plenty of smart people who will help you to understand other viewpoints. You might have to do a bit of reading though. Are you still keen?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Last year, Celtic fans waved Palestinian flags in protest against Israel’s military action there, at a game against Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Is a football ground the ‘wrong’ place to stage political protest? Well, the World’s media focusses so much attention on football, that perhaps it isn’t.

I have a Palestinian football shirt. It was bought for me by a Jewish friend who shares the same disgust at the Israeli government as millions worldwide. I wear it when I play football. Am I ‘politicising’ our kickabout? I don’t give a monkey’s what others think. I’ll be the one who chooses how I act, not others.

stanfree
    Free Member

They are a mixed up club , Despite being proud of being the first BRITISH club to win the european cup they dont want to be British but Irish. Ill bet there were plenty ex Armed forces in that crowd today disgusted by the banners displayed by the green brigade.

Crag
    Free Member

Still, good result for them today.

mattp
    Free Member

Isn’t this just a bit of nasty old fashioned football hooliganism? I’ll call you whatever winds you up and then laugh in your face…

Johnbot
    Free Member

I wanted this to be about limbo 🙁

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    sad people, sad lives…
    What, for expressing their opinions? Like you’re doing on here?

Do you not see the irony in this??
    As far as I know nobody on here has been stabbed or beaten for having a different opinion…
    As far as I’m concerned, a good proportion of football supporters are scum of the earth, just out for an excuse to cause trouble… Not ALL, but many…

druidh
    Free Member

mattp – Member
    Isn’t this just a bit of nasty old fashioned football hooliganism? I’ll call you whatever winds you up and then laugh in your face…

Hardly hooliganism is it? What’s wrong with someone making a peaceful protest – or is that disallowed in the UK these days?

Northwind

That’s an extremely verbose banner. If I was going to make a potentially contentious banner that relied on being held up in the air by hundreds of football fans, I’d make it a bit more concise.

Euro
    Free Member

Well as long as your banner didn’t contain the word verbose, you’d be on to a winner.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought poppies were to remember and respect ALL British (and commonwealth?) soldiers who died in battle, back at least as far as WW1? i.e. Those who died to protect our freedom. That really sticks in my throat does that. It sickens me. Thank god I have nothing to do with retarded scum like those holding that banner. They should visit the cemeteries in France and see just how many good and brave men died for them. Bloody cowards.

Bez

I think it says “no aloo stained poopies on our hoops” – doesn’t that just mean either that they’ve not eaten spinach with last night’s curry, or that they’ve managed to wipe their bottoms properly?

Given that it’s football fans, I’m guessing that vegetable dodging is more likely than personal hygiene.

yunki
    Free Member

oh dear… maybe they are football hooligans and also members of an extremist wing of the peace movement..?

I’ve met advocators of peace and pacifism before that have found the poppy appeal quite vulgar..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As far as I’m concerned, a good proportion of football supporters are scum of the earth, just out for an excuse to cause trouble… Not ALL, but many…

Just shows how ignorant you are then.

Thank god I have nothing to do with retarded scum like those holding that banner.

Read the banner. It says ‘Ireland Iraq Afghanistan’. Those are the ‘shameful deeds’ these people are protesting about.

They make no mention of those who fell in WWs 1 and 2. I personally don’t see any disrespect towards those soldiers.

Calling people ‘retarded scum’ without fully understanding their point of view is a little shortsighted, don’t you think?

The wearing of a Poppy can itself be seen as a ‘political’ act. Depends on point of view, dunnit?

And guess what, we don’t all have the same ones…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it says “no aloo stained poopies on our hoops” – doesn’t that just mean either that they’ve not eaten spinach with last night’s curry,

😆

‘Aloo’ is potato, you fool! Spinach is ‘saag’. ‘Saag Aloo’ = a spinach and potato curry.

brakes
    Free Member

whilst ignorance is always abundant, it’s endemic in a football ground

markfu
    Free Member

brakes – Member

whilst ignorance is always abundant, it’s endemic in a football ground

That’s a rather ignorant comment isn’t it? 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it? When was the last time you went to a football ground? Granted, there are always a few ****s, but then you get that in life in general. To suggest that ‘a good proportion’ (as opposed to a tiny minority) are ‘scum’, is simply ignorant and stupid.

Mind you, when Pele called it ‘The Beautiful Game’, he hadn’t seen me play… 😯

epicsteve
    Free Member

I find those banners a little ironic coming from the “sporting wing” of the IRA…

brakes
    Free Member

That’s a rather ignorant comment isn’t it?

I’m going to ignore that

To suggest that ‘a good proportion’ (as opposed to a tiny minority) are ‘scum’, is simply ignorant and stupid.

and that

Bez

‘Aloo’ is potato, you fool!

Ah, yes, ta – I knew that, just a brainfail. Doh.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ignorance is bliss, eh Brakes? 😉

Bez; sort yer vegetables out! This kind of confusion leads to wars, you know…

I shouldn’t have called you a fool though; that’s very rude of me. I apologise.

Bez

I shouldn’t have called you a fool though; that’s very rude of me. I apologise.

No problem, anyone with feathers that ruffle that easily is best off staying away from the web 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes but even so I shouldn’t have been rude, speshly as I don’t know you and you’ve not been rude to me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Those who died to protect our freedom. That really sticks in my throat does that. It sickens me. Thank god I have nothing to do with retarded scum like those holding that banner. They should visit the cemeteries in France and see just how many good and brave men died for them. Bloody cowards.

Do you mean the same troops who returned from France ignored the free Ireland vote [ as promised to Ireland so they would say neutral in WW1] that got a 75 % Sinn Fein vote for a united Ireland and then went to Ireland to partition the country by force against the people’s will. You are surprised that [ those who claim to be from] Irish catholics dont honour them are you really Pete? Yes a provactive banner but given the history – that you really should learn-the scars run deep.
    Pete your view is just as extreme as theirs but I can see both points of view. What a shame neither you or they can [retarded scum you say Pete 🙄 – or we might not see stuff like this anymore.

stumpyjon

Isn’t there another aspect to this anyway, I think (maybe wrong) that the poppy in Eire, or Northern Ireleand is a symbol of the Unionists which puts yet another perspective on this.

Junkyard is right, many in Ireland have hardly had a good experience of their own armed forces. However there’s plenty of atrocities committed on all sides in any conflict which is why it’s nearly always better to avoid conflict in the first place, it rarely solves much and just means it takes longer for people to get over what ever grievances they had in the first place.

kennyp
    Free Member

I totally disagree with their opinions. I totally defend their right to express them.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I totally defend their right to express them.

At the football though?

Rangers fans were banned from singing “The famine’s over, why don’t you go home” after the sporting wing complained, but I’d have thought that’s just as legitamite a point, especially given home much some Celtic fans seem to hate it here.

kennyp
    Free Member

I agree the football might seem a daft place at first, but if you think about it then they obviously wanted a lot of exposure so in many ways a football match is a sensible place to do it.

As for The Famine Song, personally I think it’s a harmless wee tune. Trouble is these days a lot of people are actually desperate to get “offended” about something or other. As opposed to just laughing it off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How low can some people go??’ is closed to new replies.