Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How much for a LBS to…..
  • Jamie
    Free Member

….take crown race from Fork A and fit on Fork B and then cut steerer of Fork B to match Fork A and fit supplied SFN?

Just curious.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends on;
    A – Where said shop is
    B – How good a customer you are
    C – Where you bought both fork A and fork B from
    D – The current market rate for a bag of doughnuts

SSB_UK
    Free Member

£15 to £20 I’d guess.

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends on;
    A – Where said shop is
    B – How good a customer you are
    C – Where you bought both fork A and fork B from
    D – The current market rate for a bag of doughnuts

A- Midlands-ish
    B- Awful
    C- Not from them.
    D- A quid?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£20 – 30 at a guess. Depends on their minimum charge

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now, you see, it’s points B and C that are key here.

Dylan08
    Free Member

I love the crazy misconception that bike shop employees will work for biscuits (cheap sugar filled snacks etc)

imagine the face on the mechanics if you walked into you’re local garage and tried to pay in cheap sugar filled snacks for the repair / service they had just performed!!!

crazy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dylan, none of the mechs I use work for biscuits*, but I do find that keeping them sweet (as it were) guarantees I get what I want at a price I like.

*Apart from one, who’ll do almost anything for a fig roll.

Jamie
    Free Member

I love the crazy misconception that bike shop employees will work for biscuits (cheap sugar filled snacks etc)

Likewise.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I think bromley bike, the first time i ever went in their charged me £10

Jamie
    Free Member

I am thinking about £15 myself. Obviously a quick phonecall would confirm this, but I am in no rush hence the post 8)

foxyrider
    Free Member

If it involves taking everything apart and fitting and cutting then prob at least £30 or more if they have to refit disc brake caliper etc. If its just purely to remove crown race & swap (everything still dismantled) and cut I would say about £15 🙂

shortcut

It isn’t much work to be honest – probably a 30 minute slot (don’t think anyone does slots shorter than that). So about £15 to £20.

Having said that I bought a new fork of my lbs and got a crown race fitted with sfn and a head tube cut within the price of the fork.

letmetalktomark

My LBS charge £15 – £17.50 to fit a new headset, cut steerer, SFN etc

So to do the job you speak of a little less at a guess 😕

bakey

It’s not such a difficult thing to do yourself really. Like all challenges, set yourself an achievable first goal – start with the crown race.

Learn how to do it yourself, and do it for your mates for biscuits!

santacrews
    Free Member

Not very helpful in that i havent got a clue how much you are likely to be charged !

HOWEVER ! the last time i frequented my LBS i tipped up with a bag of Chocolate Flap Jack ! 😳

Personally i dont think i was charged nearly enough for what work they did on the bike ! now i,m wondering if they think i am getting them to work for cheap sugary filled sh!te instead of handing over hard earned cash !

I have spent thousands there tho and would consider myself to be a good customer !

I feel guilty now !

Jamie
    Free Member

Dunno if it is just me, but unless I was a regular frequenter of a shop it would feel a bit weird turning up with baked treats.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have spent thousands there tho

Despite the terrible spelling, this is a key point. Your offer of oat based goodness was a decent gesture. The thousands you have spent there mean that they treat you as a loyal customer and perhaps charge a little less for the odd task or two!

Look after your LBS, folks.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I don’t think that anyone believes biscuits/beer/whatever to be a generally accepted form of payment in place of cash -like where a shop would have a biscuit barrel and fridge in place of the cash register. Biscuits (or whatever) are usually a way for a customer to show their gratitude and appreciation for a small (or otherwise) job that the shop/mechanic has done for free. It all depends entirely upon the shop/staff, of course; however, the misconception is yours, I believe.

billysan
    Free Member

You’d be supprised how far confectionary goes in some shops actually.

I know a little independant bike shop down in Devon. If it was quiet and the work you were asking for was small and required their labour only, the mechanic would work for a cholocate swiss roll!!

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Surely if you turned up at the local bike shop with cakes and biscuits they’d think “wahey! … this guy’s obviously a bit fruity”. I’d rather shell out the cash than be convicted of the LBS equivalent of curb crawling. 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How much for a LBS to…..’ is closed to new replies.