• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rj.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How much for whiplash?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I have been offered £650 upfront by 3rd party's insurer-is that normal?

Thing is after a month I'm still getting burning pains on my left shoulder blade/back and using a tennis ball to massage it as GF is away.

My GP and Chiro won't touch it until 6 weeks of healing.

No it's not try on as I was in casulty from being hit from behind in a traffic jam and they wrote my car off too.

Sucks as I want to be oain free again and ride/train! Thinking of using my legal cover.

uplink
    Free Member

£1500 – £2500 is the sort of figures I've come across albeit in only 3 or 4 cases

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends if you're sub or dom, I believe.

Oh, I see….erm….

chakaping
    Free Member

I was given £2,000ish about 10+ years ago, it did hurt for a long time and seems to come back now and then.

Didn't help when I looped out doing a car park wheelie last weekend and landed on my back.

Drac

I received £2k about 17 years ago now and solicitor wanted to push for £5k out of court, only went down the route as pay out for car was rubbish and this made up for it.

Leku
    Free Member

I got about £3k about 10 years ago. Still now when I'm tired I get an ache in the lower neck. Settlement should only be offered / accepted when symptoms have stopped.
    £650 is a piss take.

aracer
    Free Member

I have been offered £650 upfront by 3rd party's insurer-is that normal?

Normal for a first offer from somebody else's insurance – they're seeing if they can get away with it. The thing is, if these things are done properly they shouldn't even be making a final offer until it's "properly" healed, as otherwise you don't know how bad things are long term. I got a bit over £1k for much more minor injuries almost 10 years ago.

Use your legal cover – that's what it's there for. You don't want to be negotiating yourself with somebody else's insurance, and they can also give you much better advice than you'll get on here.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I got about 5k a couple of years ago, but about 2k of that was expenses. That was first offer i was told about. Was pretty bad whiplash, was around a year before i could turn head properly, still get niggles from time to time. I was hit by someone doing about 70mph

lowey

2.5k about 7 years ago.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as others have said, its a low early offer on the basis you might be daft enough to accept it, and neither you nor your medical experts yet know how serious the injury is and how long it will affect you.

If the accident was 1 month ago it is way too early to be settling, you need a proper assessment of your injury. What physio are you getting? The longer it is left without attention the longer it will take to properly recover. A former other-half needed ultrasonic treatment to break up the scar tissue that had formed internally that reduced neck movement.

the-muffin-man

I got £1500 for minor whiplash at the back end of last year. Any higher and they needed independent medical evidence (ie not my physio or doctor).

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice folks.

Ringing my legal cover peeps as I have £100K in fees and I paid for the cover so might as well use it like you folks say.

Personally I would like to get better asap.

Thanks again!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

did mine about a year ago falling off a wall, still hurts like hell after i do situps etc.

white101

First offer is always low, I was told to hold out for 2nd and got £1600 about 4years ago. I think there has been quite a clamp down as there have been loads of dodgy scams going on. ( not suggesting anything ) I've heard of old bangers been driven in front of trucks on motorways and slamming on the brakes, happened to one of our delivery drivers, but as he went into the back of the car he can't argue according to our insurers

zaskar
    Free Member

I was stuck in traffic and the guy was talking to his wife and using his mobile and ploughed into the back of me sending my car forward as I was stunned for a sec.

His insurance admitted liability and offered money for my car which I have accepted as they beat my own insurance by £500 and keeps my premium down by non fault claim and fully recovered car fee from the 3rd party and not my inurance.

Thing is I was going on holiday the next morning as I hadn't seen my GF for months-nearly ruined our romantic get together! I planned everything since January!

I took loads of painkillers, NSAIDS, GF massage :O) and neck cushion to sleep on etc and got through it :O)

I went to casualty as the pain was getting so bad on the night my GF was worried about nerve damage as my left arm ached and my Chiro gave me an ice pack to use and told me to rest after sorting me out 2200hrs at night.

I'm a lot better than the bad pains 4 weeks ago and now I just ache in the morning and it burns at work at the desk as now -I have to stretch like Bruce Lee at a martial art contest. Aches/Burns when I commute but trying to ignore it.

My Doc will sort out some physio but I reckon rest and gentle stretching and exercise the area. Thing is if it keeps aching then I am going to get miffed as I need to train and commute to work-used to being pain free which I took for granted by reading some of the injuries on here.

The Somalian guy drove off giving me a fake mobile number but I took pics of both cars/regs and filmed the whole lot as he said he wasn't there to my insurance then offered £25 to fix my car?!

After sending vid and pics to his insurer; they offered to sort things out and they said I could keep my car and gave me money etc which I need a bumper and rear pannel and use my 'Bike transporter' again.

I understand people try it on like I hit a car reversing yrs ago and the driver said she had whiplash when she wasn't in the car! I waited for her to come back to the car to swap the insurance details.

Thing is people still drive on my bumper or break late and I never really cared till now and it bugs me a bit-keep your distance please!

coffeeking
    Free Member

You should be seeing a doctor about it who will forward you to a physio for so many weeks. After those weeks you will re-visit the doc who will determine if you need more. Only at the end of this sequence should you be accepting anything.

My doc signed me off early (8 weeks of treatment, still get major back/neck problems from it 5 years later) and they offered me 1700 quid compensation. I've spent quite a bit of that getting re-fixed from time to time, so dont see it as a bonus – you will likely be needing it as proper whiplash is not a joke.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Nearly 10 years ago, I got about £1200 for no long term injuries.
    About a week's pain, and by 3 weeks not even any discomfort.
    And when interviewed didn't try to make it sound bad.

saladdodger
    Free Member

the wife got 2k when =my car was shunted

avdave2

Well I'm glad to know where all those premiums I've been paying out have been going. So come on who spent their compensation on a bike?

Sandwich

Tell me where and when, I'll supply whiplash for £50! 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Been using ice again.

Hey it's not fun!

roundwheels
    Free Member

£6500 of work for 4 month about ten year ago lower back still gives me problems from time to time

prickleycacti
    Free Member

i got shunted from behind by a boy racer ,who'd been drink driving ,my insurance company put me intouch with there own solicitors(crap)got assesed by there medical examiner ,to be told "fully recovered " in 4 months ,12 months on after 15 physio sessions ,mri scans, accupuncture,spinal clinic assesment ,still in agony with lower back problems ,can turn my head ok to right ,but not to the left ,8 pain killers a day and amitriptyline muscle relaxants to get me to sleep !! i got offered £1400 ,now got my own solicitor sorting it out ,next appointment ,pain clinic !to get assesed again and back to another medical examiner for the second time in february 18 months after the accident ,hav'nt rode a bike since !!

roundwheels
    Free Member

prickleycacti hope you recover soon mate been of me bike for 6 weeks and that's bad enough

prickleycacti
    Free Member

cheers round wheels ,now 2 stone heavier in weight ,got a lot to do to get back to how i was pre accident ,just hope i get a decent payout !

zaskar
    Free Member

Hope you guys and gals get better soon!

rj
    Free Member

I had almost exactly the same thing about 4 or 5 years back. Initially got a low offer, the solicitor that my insurance hired under my legal cover (which didn't affect my no claims) recommended I didn't accept it and I ended up with around £2500. It was painful for around a year and took a bit longer than that to sort out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How much for whiplash?’ is closed to new replies.