Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • How ya like me now??!?! (New-Non-Fugly-Carbon-456)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was going to title this thread “New bike, collect the eye bleach as you enter” but due to some lucky and wise component choices, a great favour from a mate printing the decals for me (I guess he can do more if you ask nicely 🙂 ) and keeping the colours as monochrome as possible, I’m honestly gobsmacked at how this has come out:

More here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_atkin/sets/72157625527642077/with/5286533800/

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0856 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0862 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Not much is new (stem, chainset, front mech) and some bits are quite old (2006 Maugra Louise FR brakes) and there’s nothing really fancy or light, but it comes in at 25lb 12oz without pedals which I’m chuffed with to say that’s 140mm Vanillas and 2.35 Kendas on there.

First impressions taking out of the box were “Holy crap that’s too light!” Putting a finger inside the head tube reveals what looks like 3 tubes joining is just a biiiig empty space which is off putting when you’re not used to it!
    The finish is, TBH, a bit patchy: Rough lacquer here and there, and the bare carbon isn’t the prettiest of weaves. But for the price I’m not too bothered and it does have a certain ‘utilitarian’ starkness to it close up. 🙂
    The build
    Yes I know the steerer is a bit long, but it’s a REALLY short head-tube and I hate cutting steerers below 200mm for resale purposes. I can live with it! 🙂
    I was disappointed at the exposed cable runs and bemused by the 2 separate routes for the rear brake hose. But drilling the 2 seat stay cable ferrules out (Yeah, I used the Bosch on a brand new carbon frame!) and using the TT brake cable clips makes it easy to run full length outer to the rear mech. Much better! 🙂
    The rear dropout where the calliper sits needed filing slightly to fit my IS mount calliper too.
    I was umming and ahhing about decal choice but in the end I went for classic O-O downtube logos, with the standard carbon 456 “456” and “spalt” logos reprinted on the same gunmetal metallic grey vynal with silver pinstripe. And I’v VERY VERY glad I stayed away from colour. It suits it perfectly IMO. I couldn’t be more pleased with that…..

And I do luuuuurve black bikes!

Other than that, feel free to insult and pick fault! 🙂

tazzymtb

that’s the first carbon 456 I’ve seen that looks really good. I like it, nice one matey 😀

oxnop
    Free Member

Looks good.

What size is it and how tall are you?? Thanks

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I like it, maybe get some custom Fox decals for the full on murdered out stealth look.

bassspine
    Free Member

It looks almost military. In a good way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Other than that, feel free to insult and pick fault!

*Gets comfy…*

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Brilliant. Bring it to the Mendips sometime, I wanna go.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

maybe get some custom Fox decals for the full on murdered out stealth look.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly…… Too much colour on the forks. 🙂

OXNOP – It’s a 16in and I’m 5’8″, bang in the middle of the size range for a 16in frame 🙂

Tazzy, thanks, glad someone agrees 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

PP that would look superb in the same orange as your 853 inbred

So how does it ride then

Looks superb imho

donsimon
    Free Member

F.U.G.L.Y sorry. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So how does it ride then

I’ll tell you on Boxing Day! The transfers aren’t even dry yet, I’ve literally just finished building it!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It doesn’t look as good as mine, but not too far behind 🙂

Intrigued by your weight though, seems overly optimistic, compared with mine anyway. No idea how accurate my scales are though.

iainc

agree with the patchy finish, especially around the base………..of the cake 😛

lovely looking wee bike though !

scaredypants

did you leave the down tube resting on the radiator ?

(actually, I like em)

anotherstan
    Free Member

looks good …enjoy

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Looking good m8, you’ll love it trust me. Interested in accurate weight, mine with same forks is just over 27lb weighed on two sets of scales to make sure, would like to know how to lose that extra couple.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest I can’t wait to ride it. I’ve never ridden a carbon frame. Seems OK out on the street, but that’s seer ice so I can’t really tell.

PiknMix
    Free Member

You have achieved great things there, that’s really nice.

I doubt I will ever see another nice one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Re the weight:

I’ve got a reasonable set of fishing scales, accurate to 1oz. I’ve just re-weighed it at 26lb 9oz with SPDs on. 350g seems about right for 520s which is 12oz-ish. So that’s about the right increase over the previous weight I quoted.

To be fair the wheelset is pretty light – Mavic 717, Hope XC, DB spokes, Ti quick releases, and those big Kendas are folding/Kevlar. Bonty RL stems are light, the bars, saddle and seatpost are on the light side of average too. X9 kit is lightish. Magura Louises give Shimano XT a run for their money on weight too, especially as these are IS ones so have no extra adaptor to add to the mass… They could be lighter than XT TBH.

The worst bits are the Deore chainset and cassette. I could stick my XT chainset on off the Unbred and loose a bit more, but I prefer the stealthy black Deore….

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reckon. Could get it below 26lb with bits I’ve got lying around in the garage….But that’s not the point really 🙂

Goodnight all. I’ve got to go to work at 6am 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Your kitchen is looking really nice there Pete. 🙂 Hope normal service is now resumed!

You can’t beat stealth black and you’ve done well there. Just be aware of the pick-up when you descend. 😀

Enjoy!

stumpy01

Yep, best looking one I’ve seen. Agree about the fork deals, that’d really finish it off!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you said non Fugly..

Hairychested
    Free Member

I hope it rides opposite to how it looks as it’s a awfully ugly bike (the frame is the culprit).
    I can see a point though – thief-proofing of bikes is a good business.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m bored at work, and just had a quick tot-up of the price. Some of the bit’s I’ve had a long time and came as part of a ‘deal’ or pair(Brakes, front wheel) but working out the new cost as part of that, not what they’re worth now, I’ve paid £972 for that bike. Not bad… 🙂
    And that’s even including cables, innertubes and my bargain £3 seatclamp (LBS spares bin)

it’s a awfully ugly bike

See, I don’t think it is 🙂 I was honestly prepared for it to be gopping, and whilst it certainly not pretty like my 853 Inbred is, it’s not as ugly as the bare frame suggests it should be IMO. I think that’s becasue I’ve stayed away from colours, and kept it subtle. Mrs PP said “It looks very stealthy” which I agree with. It’s not pretty, but I think I’ve built the nicest 456C I’ve seen to date **pats self on back** 🙂

But then I do so love black bikes. The more black the better. I like bikes that don’t shout about themselves and just look subtle but a tad mean… 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I think it’s a nice looking bike, looks like it’s got a job to do. Very chameleon-esqe.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m not an On-One/Ragley fan at all.

But that is lovely.

Bugger…

Tom83

Looks good Peter, i actually don’t mind the frame with it’s weird shape, at least it’s something different!

sssimon
    Free Member

you can’t polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Still a god awful looking frame but I’d be interested in taking a spin on one, it’s an interesting concept for a bike light and long travel hardtail.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think it’s a nice looking bike, looks like it’s got a job to do. Very chameleon-esqe.

Hmm. I’ll have to go look at a Chameleon now! 🙂

I was thinking it looked like one of these, TBH, in an odd way????

I’m not an On-One/Ragley fan at all.

I’m an O-O fan. Not as rabid as some on STW, but I like what they do and the way they do it. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks tiny, I thought it was for MrsPP when I saw that first pic.

clubber
    Free Member

Doesn’t look bad Pete though interestingly in the pics, it looks rather like your run of the mill generic alu hardcore hardtail. I’m sure that it looks more carbony in the flesh…

But all black – so 2 years ago.

voodoo-rich

you can’t polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Brilliant!

(The bike’s pretty nice, btw)

sv

Nice! Not sure you have considered the 853’s feelings though 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

Lovely bit of kit Pete.

ononeorange

You might have to move it slightly from its storage place if you ever need access to fridge or cupboards, for whatever reason.

That’s the first carbon bike I’ve seen that I like the look of. It looks good – you’re right to avoid colour. Impressive weight. (I have an aversion to carbon bikes as I know that if I ever sat “on one” it would break in two immediately).

wwaswas

I’ll be building mine up singlespeed with some Pace RC41’s (black legs and stanchions) in the next few days – will post some pics up.

Still not sure if to put stickers on – may just go for the splat and see.

messiah
    Free Member

At last someone has built one up with a decent amount of seatpost showing… looks ace :mrgreen:

Seamus
    Free Member

Looks great, the ride will be even better 😀 I made the same change from an 853 to a 456C and am loving it.

MrSparkle

Yes, that looks very nice, but then you know that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How ya like me now??!?! (New-Non-Fugly-Carbon-456)’ is closed to new replies.