Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • I may ditch my iphone!
  • tjr666
    Free Member

GrahamS – I'm 28 yer cheeky sod! They just annoy me with their dingy, ringy, blingy tones and everytime you get some chav blasting out some $hite on their blingy ringy machine I just want to insert it into their very own inbuilt blingy ring. Do they have an app for that FFS??

cupra
    Free Member

there is no keypad button, or speaker or mute etc, just a black screen that will not come to life at all. I hate the bl**dy thing.

GrahamS

there is no keypad button, or speaker or mute etc, just a black screen that will not come to life at all. I hate the bl**dy thing.

And you demonstrated this to an Apple Guru at an Apple store and he said it was perfectly fine??

(Incidentally is it in a case by any chance? If so, does it work when not in the case?)

cupra
    Free Member

I didn't demonstrate it to anyone, it was given back to the IT dept and so I'm told taken to an O2 store then sent off to apple. It doesn't matter if it's in the case or not. never mind, only 8 days to go….

porterclough
    Free Member

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

😉

Marmite
    Free Member

Well all food for thought, I have until June/July anyway so alot may change, the next iphone may have surfaced by then though someone told me August, he's in the know apparently but where he got that from I do not know. Pure speculation i think.

I do like the iphone, it's a great device, i think others simply have moved the bar a little.

I'll reserve judgement until later but I remain open to all my options.

GrahamS

I didn't demonstrate it to anyone, it was given back to the IT dept and so I'm told taken to an O2 store then sent off to apple. It doesn't matter if it's in the case or not. never mind, only 8 days to go….

One of the things I actually think Apple do quite well is the Apple Guru service, which is why I was asking.

It doesn't matter if it's in the case or not.

reason I asked is that it has a sensor in it that locks the screen (making it black) while it is held up to your ear, so you don't accidentally press any buttons with your earlobe. Some third-party screen protectors and cases cover the sensor causing it to lock the screen all the time.

CountZero

Ok, a few points: there will be a 4G model out in June, announced at WWDC in May, it'll almost certainly use the same A4 processor as the iPad, and will have the new 64Gb NAND Flash chip Toshiba announced back in February, (the Touch uses two, so will be 128Gb). With 64Gb why, exactly, would you be wanting removable memory? All that does is add bulk, although there is a dock adaptor coming which allows files to be drag and dropped to and from the phone. Also you can easily file share via wifi using Airshare. Anyone thinking seriously that they'll be able to just shove a 48 or 64Gb flash card into a phone is an idiot. SDXC cards are only just becoming available and a 48Gb will set you back $440, and $640 for a 64Gb, that's more than the phone! As far as price is concerned, anyone actually looked at the non-subsidised price for a SIM-free phone? An original N95 was £550 when it came out, and they sucked as a smartphone. Regarding WinMob 7, ha! Multitasking for third-party apps? Forget it. Copy-and-paste? Forget it. MS have had ages to match iPhone OS 3, and they still can't get it to the same standard. OS4 will almost certainly have multitasking, and be back-compatible to previous phones. There's nothing wrong with the iPhone camera, it's a straight-forward snapshot camera, not a bloody DSLR wannabe, for God's sake, and the next one will be probably a 5Mp, which is as good as a phone camera can possibly be, due to constraints of focal length and chip size; a 12Mp phone camera will just have a load of extra noise. Android phones are compromised by the fact that due to the totally open nature of the OS, there is no guarantee, and every likelyhood that an app for a Nexus One won't work on another iteration of the Android OS. These are all details I've obtained from a lot of net reading as a gadget geek, , so go for another phone just to have a new toy to play with by all means, but don't expect it to be anywhere as usable as an iPhone actually is, when used as a computer rather than just a phone with some bits added on. Now I've got 1:25k OS mapping on my iPhone, it's pretty much as perfect as it could be. Try getting that on Android.

colin@rush
    Free Member

well just to counter that I bought a HTC HD2 after much consideration, 2 of my mates bought iPhones and we are all happy I've just been away snowboarding for a week and it was good to compare the 2 phones the HTC has a bigger screen, literally twice as much RAM,can run countless number of apps, lasts about 50% longer between battery charges, had a better signal and over a 2yr vodafone contract costs £250 less, the camera quality on my HTC was also noticably better than the iPhone.
    That's not to say I wasn't impressed with the iPhone they are very nice just imo there are other alternatives most of them cheaper personally I think the HTC desire will be a contender for phone of the year

dave_aber
    Free Member

GrahamS

LOL, except I've accidentally dropped my unprotected iphone several times onto concrete and it has been fine.

dave_aber
    Free Member

try harder. You'll be rid of it eventually.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've had my HD2 for a couple of weeks the screen is excellent, the camera's great and from what I've been told you can also use it to make phone calls 😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Have you not got a return button on your iphone Countzero?

GrahamS

The camera on the iPhone is okay, but yeah I wouldn't say great. So I don't doubt the HTC may be better on that front.

I took this the other day with the iphone and was quite pleased:

IA

"Yes the 32GB microsd is out IA but its £145 rrp! Think I will wait a bit"

Yeah I knew they were that much when I made my post (actually I thought they were more). Also, CountZero, I've not bought a locked, contract phone in years, sim free all the way for me. And the statement still stands, the iPhone is properly expensive.

"when used as a computer rather than just a phone with some bits added on"

I'd say the iPhone was exactly that. The n900 I have is far more of a computer.

But i'm just arguing for the sake of it 😉 For most people, the iPhone is probably the best smart phone*. But you'd have to be daft to not realise that for /some/ people other smartphones are better. And for most people, the best phone's not even a smartphone.

*giving no regard to budget.

kimbers

32gb microsd already being offered for a hundred quid
    and we all know how quickly the price of memory comes down
    the desire is upgradable to 32gb afaik not sure if it can go higher???

part of my problem with all these phones is being tied into a 2yr/ 18mth contract

that means id be stuck with a 32gb iphone for the next 2 yrs personally id like a 120gb plus

im not the kind of person who is gonna upgrade a new phone every 6months but something i can expand on memory would be nice

also do any smart phones have a forward facing camera for webcam chats ?

iphones are overpriced and under gb'd in my opinion

CountZero

The return button's the one in the bottom right, next to the space bar.
    It's just I forget it's there while concentrating on actually writing coherently.
    Why? Is it important?
    Or is spelling things correctly?
    Personally I prefer the latter.
    Actually, I don't much care which phone people choose to use, so long as it serves their purposes, it just bugs me when people choose to slag off the iPhone and those who find it to be the best solution based purely on predjudice because it's
    an Apple product.
    I've had a number of previous phones with Symbian and WinMob OS, and neither
    could be described as easy or fulfilling to use. The iPhone, on the other hand, after sixteen months, still amazes me with its versatility and sheer ease of use, like not having to peruse a user guide every
    time I wanted to do something a little out of the ordinary.
    Pretty much everything was intuitive and easy to work out without any kind of manual,
    with just one or two little tricks I picked up later.
    I can't wait for an upgrade, mainly because my 16Gb 3G is chock full of music, maps and ebooks, and there's no space left to play with my video camera app, for example.

GrahamS

Regarding size: I'm currently sitting at 1588 songs, 79 apps, 141 photos and 50 videos (including about 7 hours of feature films and lectures) and I've still got 11.9GB of 32GB free.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My mate had one of them hero things at the weekend. what a pile of iphone wannabe shite it was…even his greasy fingerprint marks looked shit on the screen. twice as big a screen and ram? yeah, twice as fukcin shite too!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Calm down guys, we know it's great, it's just other phones are available, and for less

OK, It's actually £819 on play.com. I think we can assume the new one will be over the £1000 mark

GrahamS

OK, It's actually £819 on play.com. I think we can assume the new one will be over the £1000 mark

Which is MENTAL given that you could have a 32GB iPhone 3GS on O2 for 18 months with 100 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet access for exactly the same price!

£279 outlay + (18 months @ £30pm) = £819
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex/Pay_Monthly/3G_S/Black

GrahamS

Price for the HTC HD2 on the same 18 month contract only works out £79 cheaper.

cinnamon_girl

Don't even have a camera on my phone.

Would rather spend money on my bikes. 8)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Just quoting RRP Graham. I agree, it's mental.

IA

Can pick up an N900 for ~£170 less, and including 24months service IIRC (numbers off the top of my end) 😉

Think i've about 3gig free from my 40gig total on my N97, might need to get a 16 or 32 gig card in there soon…

I should really stop feeding the trolls….

scraprider
    Free Member

igrouphug,its a real app you know, keep it. new iphone out in june , im waiting for that.

CountZero

Think i've about 3gig free from my 40gig total on my N97, might need to get a 16 or 32 gig card in there soon…
    I should really stop feeding the trolls….

Which is fine and dandy, until you mislay the card, which is very easy to do with a Micro SDHC, or the card corrupts. Just don't see the point in having to carry extra memory around to expand the devise, then worry about losing it or whatever.
    Anyhoo, PSA sorta, anyone going to the Outdoor Show this weekend should check out Viewranger's stand, as they'll have iPhone and Android handsets there running their mapping.

DickBarton

Everything an iPhone does, I can do on my other phones (I have a number of other phoens but these are older phones, I only have 1 phoen I use). The camera is mediocre – there are phones out there with a much better camera; the music player works – but so does the music player on the other phones I have; I can browse the web on the iPhone – I can do exactly the same on the other phones; I have to charge the battery on the iPhone daily – I don't need to do that on the other phones (I get up to 3 days use between charges); I can install apps on the iPhone via the Apple Store – I can do the same thing with very similar apps from various websites (admittedly not a single location for all) and these all appear to be free.

External memory – unless you are constantly removing it and plugging it back in – loosing it isn't an issue, the benefit (in most cases) is that if you do run out of space you can easily stick a bigger card in (not all cases but most)…once an iPhone is full, that's it – you need to remove stuff as you can't expand it.

I have used an iPhone and it didn't do anything better than other phones – the interface is nice and easy to use, but I don't have any issues with the menu interfaces in the other phones (various Nokias, Sony Ericsson, Samsung and LG). With that in mind, I'm led to believe that there is no reason to use an iPhone unless I feel the need to spend (a fair amount of) money on a device and then pay monthly contract charges – personally I don't see the need so I'll take the free phone and pay the monthly contract charge (that has free data and text charges).

I have been away for a few weekends with mates who have had iPhones and they die after the first day as they forget their chargers and can't find one to borrow – their own fault for forgetting a charger but surely having a mobile device that lasts a decent length of time between charges is a requirement to most people?

So with that experience of the iPhone and my own usage of it, I'm led to believe that they really are a waste of money and there is much better out there (the really much better stuff out there doesn't come cheap though, but then they also aren't being wanted by the masses just because it is an iPhone (and my mates have one and they say it is good))…

If it pushes your buttons then fine, but you need to accept that there are others out there that reckon they are a real waste of money and don't agree with the iPhone mantra that gets spouted by most iPhone users that it's the best thing since sliced bread – it isn't the case in all situations.

rOcKeTdOg

i left my HTC hero on top of the car, drove 4 miles then realised the bang i'd heard was probably the phone falling off the roof, retraced the 4 miles, found phone, put the 3 pieces back together and it's worked as normal since, this was a month ago, suprisingly robust

if u are ditching your iphone give it to me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

iPunctuate

Jamie
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl:
    Don't even have a camera on my phone.

Would rather spend money on my bikes.

…or do what i do and spend money on both.

Incidentally, after reading this and the countless other threads, are iPhones the new marmite?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes – the hype tries to polarise but in reality, a lot of us are just 'meh'

dave_aber
    Free Member

To me they look great, and the UI is very nice when it's all going well. However, every time I have tried one I run into frustration when 'they' take over what I am trying to do*. Personally, I prefer buttons to touch screen – mainly because I'd find it too difficult to text / update facebook whilst driving (I know!) but in all honesty, I find buttons easier to use than any of the touchscreen offerings I've tried. Currently got an e71, planning to just get an e72 when I'm allowed a free upgrade (about 2 months), unless something else pops up in time.

Don't think I could really handle the battery life either, which seems to go hand-in-hand with touchscreens (touchscreen = big screen?)

*e.g. SMTP server settings had been set wrong, and user sends an email. It won't send. I correct the SMTP server settings, and for some reason the damn iphone keeps trying to send using the old settings. I can't cancel the message which is still being sent to the wrong SMTP server. Rebooting it doesn't help. Send a new message, and it is stuck behind the old one with the wrong server settings somehow welded to it. Arrgghh… Just stop sending the damn message. On a nokia, just press cancel, correct the SMTP server, then send again. Maybe it's me, but I just don't 'get' the "you can't do that" way they are designed.

konabunny
    Free Member

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

And if that doesn't work, have you tried turning it upside down and shaking it? (sfw)

GrahamS

I can't cancel the message which is still being sent to the wrong SMTP server. Rebooting it doesn't help.

Just tried this out of interest.

Change SMTP to something invalid, sent a message, got a notice saying it couldn't send due to bad SMTP, change SMTP back and it sent fine.

On a nokia, just press cancel, correct the SMTP server, then send again

If that hadn't worked and I'd wanted to cancel it then I could have just gone to the Outbox and done so.

GrahamS

I can browse the web on the iPhone – I can do exactly the same on the other phones

Yeah, but do you? I've had phones with browsers before but never really used them cos it was such a crap experience that I only did it out of necessity, otherwise I'd just reach for the laptop/PC.

iPhone is the first phone I've had where I happily choose to sit and browse with it. Probably around half my posts on here are made from my phone. More when I'm not actually at work.

Android phones do seem to offer a similarly usable browser, and Blackberries aren't bad, but as you point out they often cost nearly as much as the iPhone.

If the browsers on Nokias etc are as good, then where are they on this graph?:

http://blog.quantcast.com/quantcast/2010/03/mobile-os-share.html

Or this one:
    http://connect.icrossing.co.uk/mobile-browser-market-share-map_4217

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes the iphone is very good at bringing the mobile web to people who aren't very good at operating technology.

cupra
    Free Member

Have I tried turning it off and back on again – yes – but it doesn't turn off or on when it has gone in to black screen mode, no matter how long you hold the power button for, it does nothing. When it does this the only way to kick start it is to try and charge it, then it bursts in to life.

Turning it upside down and shaking it does nothing either – I would like on occasions to try throwing the thing violently at a brick wall to see if that helps but so far have managed to resist!

If it worked as it is supposed to it would be great, but it doesn't. I think I got a friday afternoon one!

DickBarton

I guess they would come under the 'Other – 11.8%' bracket. I guess it depends on what you use it to browse – my phones all work for the websites I browse including my online banking – if I'm connected via WIFI then I hvae a 'proper' browser display – it looks exactly the same as if viewed on a desktop machine (although you do have to scroll to see the full page) – if using standard GRPS then I get a stripped down version of the sites – all the adverts are shown on a secondary page and the main body content is shown on the first page.

I can't remember my password for STW as it's a randomised one (in an attempt to stop me posting on this so often at work!) so I never log in on my phone, but it would be easy enough to do so.

Only thing I've not tried on any phone is gaming – I just don't use the phone for games so I can't compare the iPhone to the Nokia's, SE, Samsungs or LGs that I've used.

Bad mail settings – sounds more like the original problem wasn't a bad SMTP server but an incorrectly set one i.e. it was a true SMTP server but the login details were wrong – any phone will reject sending a message if the SMTP server is completely made up and doesn't resolve – I don't think that was the same issue.

If people want to use the iPhone, fine nothing wrong with that, it's their money and their choice…personally I've no interest in it as it doesn't do anything better than my existing phone(s) so I don't see the need to shell out that cash for something that doesn't do anything better (and in some cases worse).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘I may ditch my iphone!’ is closed to new replies.