Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I need XC Racing info, can anyone help me.
  • dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Ive bit the bullet and entered my first XC race in the SXC series at Aberfoyle, i fancied a challange so jumped in at the deep end and entered Sport( can i do this as im to old to enter junior but have never raced xc before ? )

Im looking to know what kind of kit i should be taking with me, like do i NEED a set of wet tyres ? what spares should i be taking ? what should i do for drinking, bottles or camelback ? what spares/tools should i carry on me during the race and how ? What riding kit, lycra head to toe, any advice on what ? Any suggestions to a descent helmet thats not going to brake the bank (im a student) ?

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Forgot to mention im 19 and was as of January 1990

cynic-al
    Free Member

You don’t need to buy any new kit to race, just ride with what you are used to unless you need to look the part or have lots of money burning a hole in your pocket.

MrSparkle

Forgot to mention im 19 and was as of January 1990

Does that not make you 38? What are you studying – Maths or English?

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Good point haha i was born in January 1990 im an idiot :roll:, Engineering actualy so quite alot of Maths 😯

40mpg

Just turn up, ride fast and enjoy. Sport is pretty quick so you may find yourself at the back quite quickly, perhaps better to start off with beginners or open class. Whatever, you’ll know for the next time (and it is quite addictive, especially when you race a series and try to beat the same people in your category each time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just pop down yer local shop and buy a good fitting helmet for about 30 quid … it will do you fine

If you have lycra use it , failing that be comfortable

for race , Bottles

as for the race take a small multi tool with chain splitter and a tube tyre levers and pump/co2 cart

havnt put wet weather tires on for an SXC yet …The missus is currently at aberfoyle checking it out for me mind *(not really shes just riding there today)

Say hi when you see me …ill be the guy on the carbon merida going backwards

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your 19 and not overweight sport will be fine.

the sharp end is fast but most of the top end move to expert at the end of the season.
    it tapers away pretty quickly , last year there were some people in sport that were getting lapped on my second lap ! If your reasonably fit then you will have to try hard to be last

MrSparkle

Equipment has been pretty much covered as above. You can always get more stuff as (if?) you get more into it.
    From my distant memories of it Sport Class can be pretty damn quick. Look on the first attempt as an experiment. Don’t get drawn into flying off with the leaders at the start, steady away and if you get to half way and you feel ok then try and pass a few. If you die on your ass you will need to train more and if you find it easy then next time you can cane it from the start. Good luck and remember – it’s still about enjoying it!

clubber
    Free Member

i’d just suggest turning up with your usual riding gear for the first one and don’t worry too much about it, just in with the flow. Once you’ve done one, you’ll feel much more confident.
    And don’t be discouraged if everyone looks really serious beforehand and has better kit than you , it’s just show and you’ll probably find you don’t finish last and even if you do, you’ll get faster.

For the race, try starting off at a pace that you know you can comfortably maintain for the whole race and then at half way, if you feel good, start to up the pace. If you’re tired, just try and maintain the pace.
    Good
    luck

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve done the odd SXC sport race, and its blummin quick at the front (i.e. NOT where i am!!)

if you’ve got a mate, take them and get them to pass you a new bottle each lap – i go along to SXCs now and again to pass bottles, as i generally can’t be arsed to race any more…
    i think SXCs have a ‘fun’ race, which i guess you might want to try? but tbh sport is fun enough. i’d be tempted to take a gell or two too, cos if you’re taking it seriously, you prob won’t want to stop to eat.

SXCs seem pricey this year though, i’d try and enter online beforehand, as i think its a bit cheaper then.
    might see you there anyway, passing bottles to various st andrews and edinburgh based people…

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

thanks for the reply’s any specific advice as to what to be drinking during the race and any suggestions on a descent pair of shorts for racing in ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

drink nothing you havnt drunk before is my best advice tbh

sure you could buy some carb drink but if it dont agree with you you will have wasted the cash on the drink and the race …

as for shorts race will be around 2 hours so most 6 or 8 panel lycra shorts will be fine.

rolfharris
    Free Member

If it’s your first race, ride in what you like (contrary to popular belief, baggy shorts won’t actually slow you down!). Water bottles are a good call rather than a backpack. Stick a multi tool, CO2 inflator and tube in your jersey pocket along with an energy gel (yes, they’re horrible but come lap 3 when you’ve had enough they’re a life saver).

Aberfoyle will be so short that if anything that you can’t fix with that happens it’ll be over.

Just wear a jersey unless it’s below 5C.

Have fun and I’ll see you there hopefully!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I need XC Racing info, can anyone help me.’ is closed to new replies.