Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I think I've just found out something you lot have known for ages.
  • shinsplints

Steel long travel hardtails are ace.

Just got back from my first ride out on new build, DMR Trailstar LT. Love it. Am I at "that certain age" ( 30, er something ) that you turn to a long travel steel hardtail ?

Anyway, lovely ride. A little heavier on the ups than my ali hardtail but **** me its a blast on the downs.

That is all.

scaredypants

I have never owned a steel hardtail

I'm racked with self-loathing, though, so it's OK

shinsplints

scaredypants go and flagellate yourself in the streets of wherever you live 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

Don't do it if you live in Stepney.

radoggair
    Free Member

cant say i've known that, but then i've never owned a steel frame since early 90's

angryratio
    Free Member

My mates bike. awesome thing (exalt)

shinsplints

Nice. Mines a little less burly than that but that looks a blast.

Rich
    Free Member

It's over-exaggerated imo, my Stiffee is more fun downhill than the On One 456 I had.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I know my bike is made of metal…

poppa
    Free Member

Quite a plush looking saddle for such a gnar bike. Delicate bottom cheeks?

Inzane
    Free Member

I just picked up a barely used DMR Switchback and am looking forward to thrashing it around some trails.

I think having the right geometry (for your riding styles) and a decent fork up the front will make a bigger difference than the metal a bike is made of… having said that, if you had 2 identical geometry and build kit bikes and one was steel and the other Alu I think you would quickly notice the real differences.

igm

30 something – tick
    456 – tick

Shortly to be 40 something – tick
    Thinking about 29er and carbon 456 – tick

Am I stereotyped or gullible – tick
    Am I grinning when I ride – tick

shinsplints

igm – nice 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

50 something – tick
    Carbon long travel suspension – tick
    Just cos it makes so much sense.

slowrider
    Free Member

rich, i didnt like the 456's i tried either, both a normal and a summer season one, too sluggish and dead. i much preferred my chameleon for its better handling and sprightly feedback. plenty of people seem to love them though so i just put it down to personal preference.

ive since got a burly steel hardtail and its definitely the most fun bike ive owned despite its 33lb+ weight. i thought it was just that new bike feeling but its not wearing off yet.

jimmy

Hmmm I didn't realise I fit the stereotype…. Hitting mid-thirties and have recently been thinking how my 140-up-front Dialled Alpine is probably the most fun bike I've ever had. Its heavy and I think of selling it (Carbon 456…?) until I ride it again and I feel bad for such thoughts…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

hitting mid thirties, 456 soon! oh my, when'd this happen?!

fogliettaz
    Free Member

50 something – tick
    Carbon long travel suspension – tick
    Just cos it makes so much sense.

+1

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Sheep

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

At what socio-economic point to Sliding dropout Ti Hardtails become de rigour?
    😕

kiwijohn

Late 30's, retired the steel HT for an FS 3 years ago.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a Trailstar LT as well, great bike with 140mm Pikes on it 😀 Seems a little short for climbing (makes my back ache a bit on steeper ones) but great for anything else.

I'm only 21 though, so don't think the middle age thing applies!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

get a 18" switchback, same geometry but slightly longer and a bit lighter?

I'm selling mine BTW*………….

*not becasue its crap, it's ace, just had it 4 years, not used it enough and now building the sanderson up.

Frizzer
    Free Member

My Evil Sov was my 40th birthday present to myself and it's bloomin' marvellous!

VanHalen

sold mine.

for me a hardtail is suppost to be nippy and sprightly.

that said i`d have loved to have taken the exalt to the alps.

stu1972
    Free Member

Must admit that i'm loving my new 130mm Cove Handjob, sick of pedal bob on FS rigs.

tang
    Free Member

35 here and been on a soul for 3 years! saving for my mid life crisis IF ti already.

donks
    Free Member

just got a kinesis decade which is very much like the trailstar and it's a real blast…great for throwing about on trails like Cannock and even ok on the jumps at the local woods, pushing 37 now though so i'm going to make the most of it before the full suss comes back off the peg. Loved the 456 steel but this is better.

Carbis

You know steel is 4 real…..

(mid 30's RM Hammer with 100mm up front)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I think I've just found out something you lot have known for ages.’ is closed to new replies.