Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I think I've just planned the best days' leisure cycling ever!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP and I are off on a 12 day cycling/camping holiday round Devon and Cornwall in a few weeks, towing a trailer, and riding day 6 is shaping up to be a belter!

Starting off at Bolberry House Farm campsite, we ride 4 miles to Salcome and take the….

South Sands Ferry over the harbour. How cool is that? 😀
    (Yes they do take bikes)

And pick up the partially traffic free National Cycle Route 2 on the other side and pootle off to a nice pint at the Start Bay Inn — "14th Centuary Inn located on the beautiful sweep of Slapton Sands"

Then another bimble to the awesome soundingSinging Kettle Tea Shoppe for lunch and tea and cake before taking the

Dartmouth Higher Ferry

And finishing up at Upton Manor Farm campsite in Brixham. Which looks lovely!

Is it wrong to be this excited by something so simple? **claps hands in glee** :mrgreen:

It's only 24-25 miles. It's not meant to be hard, and we shall stop a lot and admire the views. And quite possibly go for a paddle. 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

No Eden Project then?

thepurist

If you're passing anywhere near to East Prawle then it's worth a stop off at the Pig's Nose for a pint too.

robdob
    Free Member

I wouldn't. Been there and it was a bit boring. Unless you are really into Eco hippy stuff or a keen gardener I can't see the point.

Looks like a great trip PP!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That's before we get to this bit Rich! 🙂

knottie8
    Free Member

sounds amazing.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ohh I loved Eden but then I do have an inner hippy 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

cool, cyclo touring was big in the 50's, it should make a come back

….now then, what bike/tyre/lunchbox etc etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it wrong to be this excited by something so simple? **claps hands in glee**

Nope – taking joy in simple things is great

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is this part of the 'PeterPoddy Festival of Mountain Bicycle and General Awesome'?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

'PeterPoddy Festival of Mountain Bicycle and General Awesome'?

Elfin, no, it's just me and Mrs PP. How did you know about that anyway..? 8)

Ohh I loved Eden but then I do have an inner hippy

Me too. I fall between Hippy and Punk, somewhere or other… 🙂

taking joy in simple things is great

I'm hoping so. I've wanted to go cycle touring FOREVER but never managed to get my arse in gear before now.
    When you start looking, there's so many things to do as well, nice easy places to ride, (Tarka Trail, Camel Trail, Sustrans routes) gardens to go to, cream tea shoppes to visit. 8)

cool, cyclo touring was big in the 50's, it should make a come back

I didn't know it had ever been away… Maybe I'm restarting a trend? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How did you know about that anyway..?

Like, duh! I read about it on here a few weeks ago.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I see. You must have been lurking before you joined STW for quite a while then? And reading lots of threads to find that remark too, it seems….

EDIT
    S'funny how you didn't post whilst said shindig was actually happening too. People might make assumptions based on that, you know. Not me though. Oh no. Not for a forum member who'd only started posing 2-3 days earlier. No, no. Not me. I would never notice that. I'm VERY unobservant.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Did Sustrans C2C over 5 days a couple of years ago,, not really a cyclist at the time so it was mildly epic for us at times but was a great trip and sparked the desire for more. Trailer may have to contain a baby next time but that will just add to the fun 🙂
    Sounds like you will have a great time and I am not even slightly jealous.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You must have been lurking before you joined STW for quite a while then? And reading lots of threads to find that remark too, it seems….

And what's wrong with that?

It was your posts about event photographers and organisers that made me want to join this forum. I thought 'if there are people as wonderful and clever as PeterPoddy, then it must be a truly lovely place'. I have subsequently discovered that TandemJeremy upsets people.

slugwash
    Free Member

Then another bimble to the awesome soundingSinging Kettle Tea Shoppe for lunch and tea and cake before taking the

Dartmouth Higher Ferry

The Lower Ferry's a more scenic crossing and a more scenic route but the climb out of Kingswear's much more severe than the one up from the Higher Ferry.

BTW, I'm a Sustrans Ranger for the section of the route from Slapton to Totnes so any feedback on current signage issues or whatever then drop us a line 'cos I haven't pedalled the western end of the route for a few weeks 😉

Welcome to Sunny South Devon 🙂 (Currently grey & experiencing constant drizzle).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Lower Ferry's a more scenic crossing and a more scenic route but the climb out of Kingswear's much more severe than the one up from the Higher Ferry.

Road climb though? We have granny gears!

Thanks for that tip, I didn't know there was 2 ferrys! I'll glady complimnet you/call you all the names under the sun re: sinage when I return too. 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Boat assisted trips always get extra points in my book.

If you think that looks good get yourselves up the West coast of Scotland – more islands / riding possibilities than you can shake a stick at.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i love rides like that!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Heather, We're hoping to do Scotland next year, mid June, but on a motorbike…. 😀

Sounds reasonable, eh, Mr N? 🙂

trailmonkey

Jumbo fish and chips at the Start Bay Inn – Legendary

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jumbo fish and chips at the Start Bay Inn – Legendary

😀

Was thinking more of a Ploughmans Lunch though….. 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Ahh, Slapton…. so many happy memories. Worked on the nature reserve there one summer. Have fun.

convert

I met a girl from Slapton Sands once – she was. It was great.

trailmonkey

Was thinking more of a Ploughmans Lunch though

You'll change your mind when you see the fish and chips. Was there last Sunday, still full 😯

stick_man

Peterpoddy – sounds like a top trip. Please post a review of your route when you get back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TM – Would you have wanted to cycle 20 miles eastwards after the meal though? On a Carerra Subway. Pulling your camping gear in a trailer. That's the question! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sick man, I might do that. 🙂

The route is roughly Bideford down to Padstow following the coastline on country lanes, then cross country yo St Austell, up to Exeter on the coast again, then train back from Exeter to pick the car up in Bideford

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I think I've just planned the best days' leisure cycling ever!’ is closed to new replies.