Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • ibeam seatpost woes….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Has anyone else had any trouble with these? I've not had a problem with the 31.6 or 30.9 version, but have now got through 2 27.2 posts in 18 months.

First post I spotted cracks just below the clamp, second was a 2nd hand barely used post and I've just spotted the bloody thing has bent.

Do they make a stronger version or am I just being exception unlucky?

Oh and I'm not an enormous biffer at 85kg

br
    Free Member

I've run a 27.2 for a couple of years now, no probs at all.

retro83
    Free Member

First post I spotted cracks just below the clamp, second was a 2nd hand barely used post and I've just spotted the bloody thing has bent.

there was a thread on here ages ago about this. Seemed to be a fairly common issue.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmm. First post lasted a good year, though I don't know how long the cracks had been there till I noticed and retired it. Second one probably had about 30 or so rides over 6 months till it bent.

Never broke or bent any other post before. Don't really want to fork out for another if it's only going to last 6-12months.

T1000
    Free Member

I started the old post on here, way back…… Had 2 posts fail in short order one after only four XC rides… the thread had lots of examples of similar failures… so it's not an isolated problem….shame as I like the system unfortunately they've got an unresolved design flaw and I for one won't entrust my life to an SDG I Beam post….

nickc

Got 2 I beam posts a carbon Kore and a metal SDG one, no worries.

DT78
    Free Member

Just read your thread t1000, my first failure sounds exactly like those described, I rode it through winter and spotted sometime in January the cracks near the back. Replaced before it snapped (still have the post)

The replacement post has a different failure, after 6 months use it bent backwards at the seatpost clamp, only a few degrees but won't slide down in the frame now, and I don't want to risk it snapping. Considering it is on my XC bike which never intentionally leaves the ground I#m surprised it has bent. It is uncut and has bent at position '7' which is almost in the middle so plenty of post in the frame.

Worringy as I have another 2 posts in use on the other bikes (which only really get summer usage)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ibeam seatpost woes….’ is closed to new replies.