Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • inbred 69er experiences?
  • clubber
    Free Member

since I have both a 29er and 26″ bikes I fancied trying out a 69er just out of interest more than anything.

My inbred has 440mm rigids on at the mo and having tried, the 29er wheel fits fine. I’ll drop the bars about 20mm on the steerer to compensate-ish for the bigger wheel.

So, for anyone who’s tried, how did it go?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I much prefered my inbred as a 69er, front always seemed too low with a 26 wheel, nice balance and a much impoved ride as rigid.

ssboggy

I tried it on mine a couple of years ago and it was ok most of the time but occasionally the wheel/bars felt like they wanted to flop round if that makes sense. The geometry just didn’t feel right somehow.
    I used 440mm forks with a 29er wheel on a standard Inbred like your planning to dobut left the stem alone as i was running 130mm revelations and the crown height from the ground stayed the same

paul4stones

Been riding my Scandal 29er for a bit with a 26″ rear wheel. Felt much slacker but not in a bad way but I also noticed the loss of ground clearance. Feels much better now I’ve got a proper 29er back wheel again 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

that’s a rather different setup, paul!

takisawa2

I tried mine running a 29er front wheel but much preferred it with a 26″ wheel & 29er fork. I posted some pics if you can trawl back through my posts last week.

clubber
    Free Member

Bump for the weekday crowd

thomthumb
    Free Member

i didn’t like mine much at all – didn’t give it much of a chance though. thought the inbred rode brilliant with a 26er. 29er wheel meant high bb and chopper flop. not ideal.

clubber
    Free Member

I love it as it is (eg 26″) tbh, just trying out of interest more than trying to improve it really though it’ll be interesting to see what difference the bigger wheel makes in a like for like comparison.

clubber
    Free Member

69er put together and ridden this morning. Basically, fitted my 29er front wheel with the rotor I was using on my 26″ wheels. Dropped the stem by 25mm and that was it. Thought I might need to adjust the saddle angle but since it was maybe a little nose down before, it was fine.

The most interesting thing to report is that there was really very little to note… It rode much the same as before basically. Out of the saddle on climbs the steering was a tiny bit more floppy/wavy but other than that, it really wasn’t noticeable.

As to the bigger front wheel smoothing out the trail, I reckon it did a little but my hands still hurt at the end of the ride (as normal).

Maybe some different terrain to what I tend to ride might show up the differences more though – more rocky/rooty trails are where my 29er is noticeably smoother and maybe steeper trails too (29ers seem to find more grip than you expect).

So, I think I’ll be sticking with 26″ wheels on it for now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘inbred 69er experiences?’ is closed to new replies.