Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Installing avid Juicy 3 pads
  • mrh86

Just finished installing two new sets of pads on my friends bike. He's got avid Juicy 3s and I was expecting it to be as easy as it is fitting new pads to my shimano brakes; I was wrong!

Took quite a bit longer than I expected, couldn't get the b******s out to start with, or get the new ones "clicked in". Made sure that the pistons were fully pushed in as well.

Anyone else had problems installing new pads for juicys?

DT78
    Free Member

Yes. Next time they need new pads they will be for sale on the classifieds…

dmiller
    Free Member

Yeah. Get fooking mean with them. They deserve it.

GW
    Free Member

there are posts about this on here all the time. honestly, WTFs so difficult? it's a 5min job at most. 😕

if your pads are worn right down, stick a big flat screwdriver between the old pads to prise the pistons back then squeeze the old pads together and pull em straight out. sandwich the spring between new pads and push them into place. job done!

to remove pads (for what ever reason) just squeeze them together and pull them out.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

They're a bitch!! Sometimes helps if you push a bit of fluid out first with the old pads still in. Slacken off the banjo and squeeze the lever in a bit then retighten before loosing the lever. Also when you push the new pad/spring/pad assembly back in it helps if one pad is slightly forward of the other while doing it – but not too much that the spring pops off the pad backing.

mrh86

Well that was the impression I had before doing them GW. Shiamno ones are much easier, they kind of just drop in. The pistons were completely pushed in, but still they were an a**e to get in proprely. Maybe once you've done it a couple of times it gets a bit easier.

mrh86

I'm glad it isn't just me that had problems 🙂

GW
    Free Member

got 3 sets of juicys, never encountered any bother getting pads in/out of any of em. I suppose holding the pads and spring together while pushing them in could be a teeny bit fiddly for some but still not too difficult even with my clumsy arthritic fingers.

I always thought the original Avid mechanicals were the best system I'd ever used, v. similar to juicys (and used the exact same pads) but the pistons were magnetic so you didn't even need to bother with the spring.

never done shimanos

bassspine
    Free Member

I've not had any problems on any avid brakes myself. Slightly fiddly, but no more than any others. (I have bikes with bb7, juicy3 and juicy7 in the household)

the drop-in shimano ones are the easiest by far as mrh86 says

_tom_
    Free Member

The first couple of times you do it they're a right faff to get the technique down. After that its usually plain sailing. I find it easiest to take the caliper off the IS mount plate as this can sometimes get in the way of your fingers and make them harder to fit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Installing avid Juicy 3 pads’ is closed to new replies.