• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • iphone camera
  • Kuco

Is it just me or is the iphone camera just crap? My works bumberry 3.2mp camera seems to take better pictures 🙁

jam-bo

I think it’s pretty good on the 4.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yep. I can’t make phone-calls on my dslr though, so I’ll forgive it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Examples of each? I’m used to using a Nikon DSLR and I’m (relatively) happy with the quality of shots I get from the iPhone 4.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Camera on the 3G is rubbish. Was contemplating abandoning iphone when my contract runs out as I quite often find myself wanting to take a picture but not having my proper camera around, I’ve heard good things about the iphone 4 camera though.

GrahamS

Which version?

As jam bo says the camera on the iPhone 4 isn’t too shabby – not amazing, but plenty good enough.

But the cameras on the older models were pretty pants.

By the way, some recommended camera apps:

Camera Genius – separate focus and exposure points, burst mode, guidelines, self-timer, filters.

SynthCam – emulates the DoF of a bigger lens by capturing mutliple images and combining them.

Pano – easy stitch panoramics.

And when you are out with your DSLR, PhotoBuddy provides useful shooting info like DoF calculator, angle of view, Sunrise/Sunset, and equivalent exposures.

jam-bo

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

with a little bit of tweaking on the phone..

Kuco

It is an iphone4 maybe it’s just me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t make phone-calls on my dslr though

No? I can.. should’ve gone with Olympus 🙂

GrahamS

It is an iphone4 maybe it’s just me.

Hmm… post some examples?

Are you tapping the screen to focus on your subject?
    Oh and don’t bother with the zoom. It is a digital zoom so completely pointless.

Kuco

If I get time today i’ll set up a flicker account and post some examples. I did use the digital zoom on one of the pics and thats the one that made me moan about it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I like the lo-fi nature of mobile phone photography and the multitude of apps for the iPhone make it a nice little device. Even without apps, the pictures are perfectly acceptable (even with a rather burned out sky)…

With some free apps and a couple of quid on the Adobe Photoshop one, an abundance of lo-fi fun can be had…

[img]http://steveukmtb.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_0058-e1302518928913.jpg[/img]

[img]http://steveukmtb.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_0073-e1302518955990.jpg[/img]

And I agree with GrahamS: don’t bother with the poor digital zoom.

GrahamS

I did use the digital zoom on one of the pics and thats the one that made me moan about it.

Like most phone cameras it is a fixed lens, so there is no real optical zoom. “Digital zoom” really just crops a bit out of the middle of the full image, so the result is blocky and horrible.

Use “manual zoom” (i.e. your feet!) 🙂

Kuco

Yea the pic seemed blocky as you said. I’ll stick with the manual zoom 🙂 I’ll have to look into some of the apps available.

Thanks all 😀

Kuco

Anyone used the Camera+ app?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think the camera is pretty good and i really like the geotagged thing as well. I never thought it’d be that useful, but its good for stuff like going on holiday and looking back to see where all the pics were taken.

Is there a manual way of doing it with a normal camera, maybe by matching the time on the GPS and camera on the PC?

GrahamS

It is supposed to be pretty good but I already had the “Camera Genius” app which does pretty much all the same things.

GrahamS

Is there a manual way of doing it with a normal camera, maybe by matching the time on the GPS and camera on the PC?

Yep. I know for Nikon the (free) ViewNX program lets you automatically match up photos against a GPS log.

jam-bo

yep. I use it in preference to the standard camera app now.

nice new feature is that you can seperate the autofocus point and exposure point.

DrJ

This is a crop of about a quarter of a photo from my iPhone 4 – pretty happy with it, myself

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘iphone camera’ is closed to new replies.