• This topic has 126 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • iPhone users – why constantly refer to it as an iPhone?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it some sort of cult? I mean its not exactly a life changing phone, it’s just a phone with a decent interface. You dont get people saying “I keep my N95 in my pocket” or “just let me enter you details into my Nokia” – normal people just use the word “phone” or “mobile”. So why do iPhone users have the urge to push their iPhone ownership into any conversation like it’s a badge of honour?

I’m just going to put fuel in my Lexus….

Generalising of course.

GrahamS

OOoh, get you. Jealous much?

Sent from my iPhone

scotia
    Free Member

i know what you mean! i have a nokia i dont know what..its a phone, no camera just used or the phone and sms..simple..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s not something I’ve noticed mate. Have you got iPhone envy leading you to mishear “my phone” as “my iPhone” thus winding you up enough to post it on an internet forum 😆

scotia
    Free Member

ha! thats another one..pics emailed to work by my colleagues have that line..

sent by my iphone..

(and…?!)

Pieface

Just viewing this on my Latitude and I’ve realised my Diesel’s are no longer the correct presription. Also my Calvin Kleins are a bit tight so I’d best go and change into some Henry Lloyds. That remindas me, need to pop into Tesco on the way home to get some Goofella’s. I think I’ll be ok to leave the Kona outside, as long as I Kryptonite it outside.

When I get in it may be dark so will turn on the Osram’s, then walk across the Karndean to store my Ortliebs in the cupboard. Then its off tot he Armitage Shanks for a wee.

Whats so bad about that?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Graham – it was your post the broke the camels back 🙂

No, not jealous – I’m the one person everyone chuckles at due to having a 4 year old phone but doesnt actually mind (I could happily afford a better one if I wanted to, but while it works I dont really care!).

Sent from my 4 year old Nokia 6630.

It’s not something I’ve noticed mate. Have you got iPhone envy leading you to mishear “my phone” as “my iPhone” thus winding you up enough to post it on an internet forum

😀 no, I have an irritating friend that constantly stresses the point and now I read it all over STW 😀

K

Because it is the best thing in their life? Maybe.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sent by my iphone.

the phone does that itself!

GrahamS

If you want a serious answer then I think the issue is that it is much more than a phone and there isn’t really really an acceptable generic name for what it is.

“I keep my smartphone in my pocket” sounds equally daft

As does “I keep my handheld mobile internet, GPS and telecommunications device in my pocket”

I’m sure Palm and Blackberry users have the same issue.

How would you like us to refer to it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

K – Member
    Because it is the best thing in their life? Maybe.

Sadly, many people would think that! I know of people who queued up overnight to get one. It’s just a phone you ****monkeys!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its just a phone. We all know phones (several makes/models) are capable of this, there is no need to specify that your phone is somehow different from a phone with a couple fewer features? Is there any conversation, especially online, where knowledge that you have an iPhone instead of a normal phone is important information? I cant see any unless, of course, you’re discussing what phone you have.

Transported to the office by my Ford Fiesta, because its so much more than a simple cheap car without AC/sat nav etc.

(incidentally I dont own a fiesta).

scotia
    Free Member

sfb – well done..cant you turn it off with all its great gadgetness?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It isn’t the fault of the consumer, but the very astute marketing by the manufacturer.

Like Hoovers

and (in America) Xerox.

And, as I am sure will now be told, a great many others.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s a bit strong flash…jeez, a few geeky fanboys want the latest bit of kit..give ’em a break

J0N
    Free Member

But its the same as cars as far as I’ve witnessed.
    BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar(jag),ferrari etc are all refered to by there onwers in reference to the make and not the model
    I’ve never hear a Ford or Vauxhall owner refer to the make, they would say my modeo of focus or vectra etc.
    It a show of superiority.
    I’m Non apple owner. My car, my phone, my road/commute bike, my mountain bike type of person.

GrahamS

Graham – it was your post the broke the camels back [:)]

Thought it might be. The one on the ICE card thread?

In that instance I was identifying a particular application that solved the issue for me of having a locked phone and still wanting contact details to be seen.

I could have avoided mentioning that it was an iPhone. But as the app in question is an iPhone app and therefore only actually works on an iPhone that wouldn’t have been very useful.

Edit: therefore I am excused by virtue of your own sub-clause:

Is there any conversation, especially online, where knowledge that you have an iPhone instead of a normal phone is important information?

In this instance it was important and relevant information.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve never hear a Ford or Vauxhall owner refer to the make, they would say my modeo of focus or vectra etc.
    It a show of superiority.

No they dont, 90% of people refer to cars as “my car”. The only time people stray from this is when they’re discussing what car they have or if they have to differentiate between their multiple cars! (as a two car person who has a phone and a few bikes that are referred to as the SS and the FS).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Graham, yes, I can see your point in that case – it just brought the point into the forefront of my mind and I had to blurt it onto the forum 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I refer to my mobile telephone as my “cell”. This drives some people nuts. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I refer to my mobile telephone as my “cell”. This drives some people nuts.

My dad refers to his as his cell or radio, that really confused me at first.

DezB
    Free Member

I guess it’s just like I call my iPod my iPod and not my MP3 player..?
    Pieface, was that an extract from British Psycho?

I refer to my mobile telephone as my “cell”. This drives some people nuts.

Do you also say you’re “pissed” when you mean “pissed off”?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Must admit my iPod is my MP3 player or “my MP3” if in an incidental conversation (not factually correct I know).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course ‘cell phone’ does actually sum up the actual function of said phones very well, as masts operate in a cell manner, meaning it is possible to make a phone requiring very little power as its signal only ever has to be able to reach the nearest mast cell, which then passes the signal to the next mast using its own pwer (and so on). Sorry – I think I must have accidentally listened to someone once somewhere.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb – well done..cant you turn it off with all its great gadgetness?

I find it quite useful, as it indicates they’re not using a desktop, so for instance it only makes sense to send smallish JPG files for that size of screen…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“It’s like people who say Tannoy when they mean public-address system”
    – Alan Partridge

GrahamS

The “Sent from my iPhone” thing only appears on emails (I added it myself above to be a smartarse). It’s just the default email signature and can be turned off very easily.

AndyP
    Free Member

The “Sent from my iPhone” thing only appears on emails (I added it myself above to be a smartarse). It’s just the default email signature and can be turned off very easily.

thank god for that. Maybe they need to let iphone owners know it’s easy to turn off. Otherwise it tends to label the sender as a cockweasel.

GrahamS

Nah, it’s like people who leave their phones on the default Nokia/DomJoly ringtone.
    It labels them as technically incompetent (or tragically disinterested).

For most iPhone users it is the first thing they change after they get Mail set up.

acjim
    Free Member

Actual iPhone smugness may be greater than shown

stumpy01

I don’t own an iphone and have no desire to. I find SE phones do everything I want (and probably more) and I have an iPod for music (which I got reluctantly as there didn’t seem to be much in the way of alternatives).

What do they do that is so great? If a normal phone was that big no one would buy it.
    There are normal phones that can access the internet, can be used as sat nav, take video, take photos, play games on etc. etc.
    I was amazaed at the things you COULDN’T do on an iPhone that you have been able to do for yrs on normal phones (although I think some of these things have been updated now).

I just don’t get the whole iPhone/Apple/iPod thing. I think they used to be owned by the few, but now they are so common now that you aren’t a quirky, fashionable ‘Apple’ person…..just someone else with a touchscreen.

GrahamS

stumpy: its the first Apple device I’ve owned and I’m definitely not an Apple-fanboi. In fact I’m positively anti-Apple in many ways. But it is a great device as anyone who has one will smugly tell you.

(I could list how it is better than a “normal phone” but I don’t want to further ruffle feathers).

robdob
    Free Member

If you don’t understand what the fuss is about then you’ve obviously not used one.

—————————————-
    Sent from my iPhone
    Cos it’s quicker than the PC
    And I can use it at work.
    😉

Sandwich

Robdob LOL

yoshimi

I’ve got one and its phone / text fuction accounts for about 5% of its use -I thibnk of it more as something to email / surf with, that I can also use as a phone. Don’t think I ever said ‘have you seen my iPhone?’ just refer to it as a phone but can understand why people dont really think of it as such…….<goes off to hide>

Sent from my iPhone

stumpy01

But that’s my question…..I don’t have a problem with them or the people who own them. I don’t care either way what phone people have. But apart from a large screen (that presumably gets covered in greasy finger marks), what do they do that is so great?
    When they first came out, they didn’t have 3G (so the internet was slow), you couldn’t send picture messages on them (that you’ve been able to do for what…..5 yrs or more now?) and the camera on them was streets behind other offerings, but people still queued round the block for them…….!? The mind boggles.

And why do iphone users all seem to have to put them on display at the first opportunity?

stufield
    Free Member

i edited signature to read “sent from my phone” as I want people to understand it’ll be short and sweet, I don’t need to advertise its an iPhone, problem is my old windows mobile was more useful in many ways as easy to add a voice memo reply (great in the car) and they have no cut and paste so I can’t copy things easily and send them on to people.

stumpy01

robdob…..I have had a fiddle with a colleagues iphone, but haven’t used one extensively. That’s why I am asking……genuinely curious as to why they are better, but people don’t seem to be able to given an answer, apart from saying things along the line of ‘because they are….’, which isn’t much of an answer.

Swello
    Free Member

Good point – I’ll be expecting the complainers just to talk about going out on their “bike”, from now on rather than “the Nomad”, “the Pitch” or “the Five” from now on…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a mate who won’t bring his out as it’s too good. he uses the iphone at work and at home and when he comes out he has some old shitter! bonkers what’s the point in owning it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘iPhone users – why constantly refer to it as an iPhone?’ is closed to new replies.