Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Iphone vs the rest
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

What would people recommend, i am due to upgrade my phone and would like an iphone. I don’t have a lot of emails o deal with so a blackberry seems unnecessary but iphone’s are expensive or the contracts are just silly money. They have quoted me for a sim only contract which actually works out cheaper if i buy the iphone outright.

There are these other phones something called an Android ❓ but i have no knowledge of them do any of you?

All thoughts welcomed

orena45

Plenty of topics on Android phones – the search button is your friend 🙂

FWIW I have an HTC Desire which is awesome – does everything an Iphone does, is more customisable and cheaper.

Cougar

i am due to upgrade my phone and would like an iphone.

Get one, then.

Android is a competitor to the Apple platform. Android is a more open system, but can be a little more quirky as a result.

You don’t really say why you want an iPhone so it’s hard to recommend further.

One thing to note if you’re looking at SIM-only contracts is that to get the most out of either iPhone or Android, you’ll need to have a decent data connection. Outside of a phone deal, you normally pay extra for this (eg, on O2 it’s a fiver a month).

z1ppy

You hear of very few people who’ve had an iphone that don’t like them/give them up* is all I’d say.

*if you have, can you explain why, without any anti-apple comments? Would really appreciate any honest answer to this…

Wozza
    Free Member

With the exception of the Dictionary and having to use iTunes once a month, I can’t really find a fault with my iPhone, compared to Android phones i’ve seen it feels like a much higher quality product. Another thing to consider is, say for example a company your using says “you can even download our app”, you can almost guarantee that they’ll support iOS where it’s a bit of a chance they’ll do an Android app. The iPhone is way more fun too, the games run rings around Androids, again mostly because it’s been backed for a while now.

I’m sure that’ll change, but for me, it was an easy choice to make.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I like/liked my iphone, but it died recently, so this week a bought a cheapy android phone (£99) – the orange san fransico (what a dire name) and followed some links on another thread on STW to de-orange it and stick a clean OS on it. Despite feeling cheaper than the iphone, and the user interface being a fraction more clunkier, it seems to run faster, is smaller, and has a longer battery life.
    But it’s not as nice to stroke.
    So I guess it’s really how much money you want to spend on strokeability 🙂

Aus
    Free Member

I’ve just got an iPhone 4 and is excellent, apart from the phone, which I find v poor (echo, crackly, muffled). As the phone bit is key for me, I’m a tad disappointed

JoeBones
    Free Member

I have an iPhone for play and a Blackberry for work, if I swapped them round they would be not as much fun and there would be definite battery issues.

I love my iPhone for weekends, arsing around and social networking, the blackberry does all of that too but not as well although has superior battery life.

The only Android I have experienced was on Red Dwarf 🙄

warton
    Free Member

I have an iPhone4, my wife has an HTC desire.
    she wants an iPhone.
    I don’t want an HTC Desire.

the iPhone is better and more intuitive to use, and there are times when I’ve used it to do certain tasks, and thought, that is brilliant.

geoffj

Android is a bit like linux – you have to faff a lot to get it doing what you want.

IMHO of course.

clubber
    Free Member

*if you have, can you explain why, without any anti-apple comments? Would really appreciate any honest answer to this…

I’ve got a 3GS coming to the end of its contract. I’m certainly not discounting another iPhone (5 when it comes out probably) but I think that Androids have caught up enough that the difference in price makes them a good alternative now. I still find them a bit hit and miss compared to iPhones but I’m techy enough that that’s not a problem.

Also IME the build quality on iPhones isn’t great considering the cost. My first broke after 9 months and my second is starting to show some quirks (mute switch not working properly, casing cracked) which I’ve never had happen on any other phone.

Cougar

You hear of very few people who’ve had an iphone that don’t like them/give them up* is all I’d say.

It’s not without its drawbacks, but it’s a good product. Much like most other Apple devices. It does a number of things very well.

People who drop several hundred pounds on a phone tend to either do their research properly to make sure it’s what they want, or go “oooh shiny” and not care anyway. If you’re the sort of person to impulse-buy an iPhone and then not like it, I’d hazard that you’re also the sort of person who’d want to keep very quiet about that sort of mistake.

she wants an iPhone.

For balance,

I have a HTC Desire, OH has an iPhone. Neither of us would swap.

stumpy01

I’ve got an HTC Desire.
    I’ve got friend’s with iPhones. They both have their good points and bad points. I wouldn’t swap my Desire for an iphone and they probably wouldn’t swap their iphones for a Desire.

Two of my mate’s with iPhone’s are becoming a real pain to talk to. You can guarantee that calls will just end for no good reason several times. They then call you back….2 mins later, their phone just cuts the call again.
    One of them has spent a lot of time trying to resolve it but has given up. He’s getting rid of his as soon as his contract is up & reckons he’ll be getting an Android phone.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg[/video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

This video made me chuckle.

Stuey01
    Free Member

she wants an iPhone.

This.
    None of my friends have gone from an Iphone to an Android. Several have gone from Android to iphone, and never looked back.
    Everyone I know who still has an Android phone wants an Iphone. No-one with an Iphone wants an Android phone.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I have an HTC Desire which is awesome…

How can a telephone inspire awe?

TatWink
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy S. Best multimedia smartphone out there fact.

What Hi Fi has a review of the latest phones this month. Get to whsmiths and give it a read.

JCornford

My Iphone 3 is up for renwal and I really like it so I automatically thought Iphone 4, although I have had a quick play on a Desire HD and was very impressed, it seemed faster than the 3, but I’m not sure how it compares to a 4.

Have a look at deals, Three are doing an amazing offer on the Iphone 4 which is what I am going to go for, if there was a cheaper deal on the Desire HD I would probably go for that.

With HTC being a major road cycling sponsor does anyone know if they have any associated apps for cycling/training etc, or is it just a name on the jersey job?

glenh
    Free Member

This.
    None of my friends have gone from an Iphone to an Android. Several have gone from Android to iphone, and never looked back.
    Everyone I know who still has an Android phone wants an Iphone. No-one with an Iphone wants an Android phone

I had an iphone. Hated it.
    Bought a google nexus one – v. happy. Much better as far as I am concerned in many ways.

Horses for courses. Try both and see what you like.

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

I got rid of my iPhone. I had a 3G on a really good tariff (£15p/m for the £40 o2 iPhone tariff). Didn’t want to ‘upgrade’ to iPhone 4 as that would have put me back on stupid tie in, and wasn’t bothered about paying £500 for it.

Then actually when I started looking pretty much most of the use of the apps was at home instead of getting the laptop out. The apps that I did use I could get on pretty much every other platform.

That swayed it for me to get an iPad as a phone/laptop replacement around the house.

Phone wise I plumped for a new windows phone. I’d had some windows mobile phones before and being a developer I had written apps for WM. Curiosity got the better of me in how dev is be on the new phones. Didn’t fancy Android, have though it about it but it just seems still too raw at the moment.

I was actually getting a bit bored of the iPhone as well. I don’t like how there’s in integration between apps, feels disjointed. Just time for a change.

uplink
    Free Member

I have an iPhone – not sure which model, but it’s a 3 from a couple of years ago
    If it wasn’t a works phone, I’d bin it and move back to my trusty Nokia 6020 – in fact that’s what I do when the iPhone starts dropping calls, it seems to do it all day some days & not at all others.
    I only use it as a phone with the occasional look at an email if I have to.
    So yes, I’d gladly get rid of it

EDIT: I actually have 2 iPhones, the 2nd was a birthday present from my daughter, so can’t really get rid

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had both and iPhone and Desire and they both have their pro and cons.
    Both will crash for no reason
    Iphone updates can render them useless.
    Apple support revolves around upgrading your product.
    Navigating an HTC phone is no where near as easy as an Iphone.
    HTC speed make the Apples offering seem old.
    HTC will play flash and Apple won’t.
    Apple feels better built but despite dropping the desire numerous times it still works without looking bashed.
    Iphones have loads of accessories, HTC don’t.
    HTC will play any music, Iphone only plays what Apple wants.

Given the choice I still prefer my HTC.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

flash flash flash

acjim
    Free Member

Just got an iphone thru work – it’s decent enough but for work stuff it’s bad at syncing with stuff on my PC (exchange etc), it struggles with some wifi connections and the closed nature of it (can’t set custom text alert tones, no bluetooth sync, fixed keyboard style etc) doesn’t fit well with how I like things to bend to my will! It’s the 1st computer thing I’ve owned that (unless you jailbreak it – which as mine is a work item i can’t) you basically have to do what Apple want.

(see I don’t hate Macs, but they do give me a syncing feeling for a funnier view)

My wife’s got a samsung smartphone (not sure which one) and it’s faster, smaller & fully customisable.

However if i wanted to use app’s, social network etc (i don’t) then the iphone would probably win.

andytherocketeer

If it wasn’t a works phone, I’d bin it and move back to my trusty Nokia 6020

I had a 3G on a really good tariff (£15p/m for the £40 o2 iPhone tariff). Didn’t want to ‘upgrade’ to iPhone 4 as that would have put me back on stupid tie in, and wasn’t bothered about paying £500 for it.

Still using trusty old Moto phone. Trying to justify increasing my monthly contract by a factor of 4.5x just to get something that will use up 3x the pocket space, and give me the ability to spend lots of money on international data roaming.

As someone who’s not had a Windows PC since about 2003, is it true that I’ll have to buy a new Win7/OSX machine just to run itunes to enable the iphone and transfer MP3 etc. files? or does it properly do USB mass storage now?

clubber
    Free Member

itunes runs fine on my 7 year old computer (or at least it runs no slower than anything else on it but it certainly ‘works’). itunes is absolutely fine on my 5 year old XP media center PC.

ericemel
    Free Member

Depends what is important to you I guess

iphone owners have more sex

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/want-to-have-sex-with-more-people-buy-an-iphone-and-stay-away-from-android-2050327.html

I find android owners very whingy – I know many & its like if you own an android you have to constantly whine about apple, they are always dissing iphones and finding problems with them, while I find iphone owners happier with their choice and not really worrying what the other phone OS’s do and don’t.

Del

when i was looking back in october i seriously considered the iphone 4, despite my slight antipathy towards apple as a brand, and would have looked a lot more closely, except that over a contract period of 18months ( which included buying the iphone outright, and getting a sim for it, because this was the cheapest method ), it was still going to cost half as much again as an htc desire. that’s a fair chunk of cash that i just couldn’t justify.
    if i didn’t have to pay for my own phone i’d probably look a lot more closely, but i’m a happy android user. don’t know why people think the android OS is ‘clunky’? pretty much just worked, straight out of the box for me. maybe i’m just not being ambitious enough with the things i try to do?

TatWink
    Free Member

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again.

Samsung Galaxy S

spacemonkey

FWIW I have an HTC Desire which is awesome – does everything an Iphone does

No it doesn’t.

Some Android phones do certain things better than the iPhone and vice versa.

I’d agree that Android (particularly with HTC’s Sense) makes a better “phone”, but IMO the App Store pisses over the Android Market. Then again, it depends what you want/need it for. Maybe most people are happy with the apps in which case fair enough. But for me, the added scope/slickness/functionality of the former makes the whole experience much improved.

R.lepecha

My sister had the Iphone 3gs. She had it 3 months and became bored of it, she sold it on and bought a Blackberry….
    I believe HTC All the way. I preffer Windows Mobile though. So customisable and easy to install apps to. Updating the rom to something slightly newer is so easy though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

One thing I really don’t like about iPhones is, though….

APPS KEEP **** CRASHING – THE BBC ONE AND THE SKY SPORTS ONES ESPECIALLY. CLICK…. HAAA-AANG…. CRASH.

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

scaredypants

5+ inch screen, openly (ie not tied to manufacturer) updateable OS – THEN I’m in*

*(will this be never? 😥 )

clubber
    Free Member

Mine did the whole crashing apps thing for a while then stopped on its own. Strange.

R.lepecha

one thing that does annoy me about people with I-Phones is, when some one rings them they will say my I-Phones ringing. Its a phone, you dont have to make it obvious that its an I-Phone.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

People who announce that their phone is ringing are just odd anyway – I assume that is an inherent personality trait rather than anything to do with the phone as such.

They are the same sort of people that announce to the whole room that they need to ‘go for a wee wee’.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I had an Iphone the screen broke and I never replaced it.

Have a nokia 72 which is a much better phone (better signal, better sound, better battery more reliable) but not as good a computer. I use my phone for business and so it is a better option for me.

Also you can tether the Nokia and not the Iphone which I often do when on site elsewhere.

otherwise Iphones are lovely things I’m sure, all shiny and that…

TheFlyingOx

Android is exceedingly customisable, but the trade off is it can be a bit of a faff. Although isn’t that why we have smart-phones in the first place? Battery life isn’t as good as iPhones either, but the flip-side is you can get spare batteries.

iPhone is exceedingly easy to use, but the trade off is you’re stuck with it doing only what Apple will allow it to do. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if all you want is to phone, text, email, facebook, listen to music, etc. and don’t want to worry about how you’re going to do any of that.

I went from iPhone 3GS to Android, and I can’t see myself switching back any time soon. Android battery life complaints can be easily overcome by using battery manager apps. My X10 now gets a good 3-4 days on standby, and under normal use will last from one morning to the next evening on a single charge.

DavidB
    Free Member

Which battery app do you use Flying Ox?

Cougar

Samsung Galaxy S. Best multimedia smartphone out there fact.

It might be fact in a universe where HTC doesn’t make phones. Or Google. And where the Motorola Atrix wasn’t iminent.

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again.

Samsung Galaxy S

You’ve said it before in this very thread, you were wrong then as well. It’s a nice phone (I nearly bought one), but it was broken out of the box and Samsung’s support is class-action-law-suit level.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had a 3gs and wondered about android so sold it and bought a Desire. It was a nice enough phone and the OS was ok but not a patch on the iPhone. The apps were pretty shite to by comparisson too.

Now got an iPhone 4 and it is streets ahead of the desire. My only complaint is that I wish it had a 4.3in screen.

I also agree the point that I know quite a few people who have gone from android to iphone but none have gone the other way.

A lot of people will not buy apple products because they dislike apple rather than because other products are better. Apple can be perceived as arrogant, but they can afford to be because their prodicts tend to be better and therefore more desirable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Iphone vs the rest’ is closed to new replies.