Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is my deore shifter dead????
  • StuF

As I was fitting some new cables to my bike last night, put the front one in – a couple of test shifts and then the shifter stops working and the cable is stuck inside the shifter pod. I took the shifter pod apart (more on that later) and it looks like the cable had pulled sideways out of the white nylon disk that it should sit in.

Should there be a slot (very narrow) in this disk that cable sits in or has my cable worn its way out.

If this slot should be there does anyone know of a diagram of how to put together the shifter that's now in pieces…..

Thanks for all the helpful advice in advance

DezB
    Free Member

Never seen one with a slot next to the cable stop hole… some exploded diagrams here

dc2.0

Try "shifting" with the cable out to see whether the disk rotates around to present the slot in alignment with the barrel where you load the cable.

StuF

Dez – cheers for those – although I needed the next level of detail showing how to put the levers + springs back together.

dc – Thats a bit tricky as as its in bits at the moment with springs and bits now in a small bag waiting for me to get home from work and try and put it together over the weekend.

Or is it time for a nice new slx shifter…

retro83
    Free Member

please update this thread if you do manage to fix it, I've got one (also currently in pieces incidentally 😳 ) which suffered the same fault

StuF

Thinking about it – either cable popped out through the side of the disk or may be when I put the new cable in it actually slipped round the outside of the disk between it an the shifter housing then as I shifted it got wedged?

I'll let you know if i get it put back together.

More advice welcome..

StuF

Good news – I've managed to put it back together, just got to fit it to the bike tonight and see if it holds the cable in place.

retro83 – I can give you some instructions on how to get it back together if you like.

StuF

next update:

shifter fitted to the bike and seems to be functioning all ok, I'll have to see if it holds up over time.

That does now mean I can't justify a nice shiny new pair of shifters….

soma_rich
    Free Member

I had this happen to an old shifter. In the end I gave up and bought a new shifter I thought I snapped soemthing in mine though.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes please on instructions stu!

StuF

Ok so here goes – how I got my Deore shifter back together
    I think its one these

It would be better with pictures (I'll need to take my shifter apart to get these)

Firstly I'd try and put it back together without the flat coil spring in – just to get an idea of where the bits go.

My shifter had been taken apart so that the white nylon disk (the bit the cable goes into) was still in place but both trigger levers had been removed

so from that state with the main bolt stick upwards

The order the bits go on is:
    Index finger trigger
    Little hollow shaft with the ridge in the middle (thats slightly off centre with the narrower bit towards the index trigger)
    Flat spring (hooked end goes on the IF trigger, pointed end locates in the TH trigger in one of the holes near the centre)
    Thumb trigger (with a little cam + spring attached)
    Round steel plate with holes in
    Nut holder
    Nut

I did have a little (very thin) brass washer left over – it probably goes between the thumb trigger and the steel plate

1) turn the shifter upside down – main bolt pointing upwards.
    2) push the main bolt part way out so that the threaded end is flush
    3) Get the IF trigger, the little hollow shaft, the flat spring and the TH trigger. (3a-d don't have to be done in this order as the spring will pop out / cam won't be lined up)
    3a) the IF trigger has a little end (opposite the bit you push with your finger) that bends down – this needs to now point down and will (in a bit locate on the shifter body)
    3b) put the little hollow shaft in the hole in the IF trigger
    3c) put the flat spring on and locate the hooked end on the IF trigger (there are 2 places – little notches put it on the on – put it on the one that makes the spring coil up less)
    3d) put on the TH trigger and locate the flat spring end in one of the little holes, also make sure that the little cam is just under tension
    3e) Now hold this assembly tightly as we need to keep the flat spring from becoming more than 1 coil high – it really tries to be come 2 as it's put under tension

4) Take this assembly ant put it in place on the shifter body (tab located on the IF trigger end) then push the main bolt back up to locate the assembly on its shaft. Now make sure the little cam is as far down as it can go – this may need a little screw driver to position in the correct place.

5) Put the round steel bit on and the nut (nut just for the moment to hold it all in place)
    6) Now to test it – the shifter should work (but the TH trigger won't return as the spring hasn't been tighted yet) If it doesn't something isn't in the correct place.
    6a)If it does the first shift but not the second then the little cam on the TH shifter isn't under tension

7) Put the spring in place – use a small screwdriver to get the hooked end of the spring and drag it round onto the other little notch – this is tricky and requires some force. now with the spring in place the thumb shifter should return normally

8 ) take the nut off and put the nut holder on, the little pegs locate into holes on the round steel plate.
    9) put the nut back on, you'll need some pliers for this, don't do it up too tight otherwise the shifters don't move. If the nut doesn't go on make sure the main bolt is pushed all the way through and the flat spring hasn't coiled over itself

10) re-attach the shifter covers and – make sure you've put the bolts back in the right places – the longer one goes closest to the indicator and the really short one goes in the flat bit of the shifter body (the one you can see in the pic on CRC)

11) now you're good to go – just be really carefull when you put the new cable in to make sure it goes through the hole

Good luck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is my deore shifter dead????’ is closed to new replies.