Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • Is this racist and if so, why?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Joke I heard and the joke teller was accused of being racist:

“The kids at school don’t learn history anymore. I asked a class of kids why Winston Churchill was famous.

Apparently it is because he was the last white man called Winston.”

Okay, it may not be the funniest joke in the world but is it racist?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Yes.

I could tell you why, but I’d rather wait for the stw moral bastion that is elfin.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pretty borderline. It uses a stereotype – “black men are called winston” and its implied that that means white men can no longer use Winston as a name as it has lost its value.

Not worth getting hot under the collar about tho

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I think even Elfin can see that it is partly mocking the educational standards today and partly mocking the habit of the lower socio-economic groups to latch onto particular names or brands in a way that the higher echelons of society don’t. Hence it is mocking the social injustices of the British society.

Or is that just my interpretation?

EDIT – TJ immediately assumes that if someone isn’t white they are black* – does that make him racist or just a lazy thinker? 😉

*I was brought up to think the opposite of white is yolk.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s about a racist as my son’s Bindi-gate incident.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No,

Loose stereotyping, an observation based on race, but as it’s neither derogatory nor inferring superiority for any race I wouldn’t call it racist.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Were traditional white names such as Winston not adopted by the immigrating Afro-Caribbean community as a means of ingratiating themselves with the locals?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think we have to distinguish between accepting differences and negative racial stereotyping. The fact that Winston has been perceived as adopted as a name by some ethnic groups is neither positive or negative so I am inclined to agree that it is not racist.

sweepy
    Free Member

Its borderline IMO, you could take offence, but you’d have to work at it.

And i’d argue that the posho’s are just as likely to latch on to certain names and brands, just different ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It uses a stereotype – “black men are called winston” and its implied that that means white men can no longer use Winston as a name as it has lost its value.

Former: agreed it’s a stereotype but as it’s nt necesarily negative then it’s not necessarily racist.

Latter: I think you’ve inferred that…to me it’s not necessarily implied in the joke….RACIST! 😀

Cougar

It uses a stereotype – “black men are called winston”

That’s not really what it’s saying though is it, the stereotype here is more “people called Winston are black.”

I don’t really hold with the Daily Mail attitude that you’re automatically being x-ist as soon as you point out any difference between two demographics. I don’t really think we need to be reaching for the pitchforks for a joke that hinges on someone in history having an unusual name. Is it any different to saying “Why was Bruce Lee famous? Because he was the last non-Australian to be called Bruce”?

Incidentally, racist or not, I’m struggling to think of a famous white Winston other than Churchill, so it’s not wholly outrageous. The only other Winstons that leap to mind are Zedemore in Ghostbusters and a Lenny Henry character.

DezB
    Free Member

but you’d have to work at it.

Ah, so on STW it will definitely be racist!

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s a joke way past it’s stereotypical sell by date – I’ve never met a black man called Winston, the only Winstons that spring to my mind are Churchill, Smith and my old schoolfriend Becky’s cat.

Which was a big fat tabby BTW…

DezB
    Free Member

What about Winston Cadogo?

Cougar

you could take offence, but you’d have to work at it.

It’s the sort of throwaway nonsense that people get outraged by on behalf of someone else. If anyone -were- to take offence, I’d say they were almost certainly white(*); I doubt very much that a black person, even one caled Winston, would find that offensive (and if they did I’d suggest they M/WTFU).

(* – ooh, meta-racism)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject, anyone know the history of the name Delroy?
    Historically seemed to be a popular black name, but I was wondering where it originated?

clubber
    Free Member

and partly mocking the habit of the lower socio-economic groups to latch onto particular names or brands in a way that the higher echelons of society don’t

Oh yes they do.

Racist? Marginal IMO. It’s stereotyping based on race though not inherently negative.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

and my old schoolfriend Becky’s cat.

Was it black?

Cougar

my old schoolfriend Becky’s cat.

Ah, but was it a black tabby?

Who?

Cougar

*high-fives tree-magnet*

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Not worth getting hot under the collar about tho

Not worth you getting hot under the collar about, or not worth anyone else getting hot under the collar about? Who should not be getting hot under the collar?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject, anyone know the history of the name Delroy?
    Historically seemed to be a popular black name, but I was wondering where it originated?

Google says it’s French.

DezB
    Free Member

Who?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y[/video]

Drac

You Winston, you loose some.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

did you mean that or did you mean integrating?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Who?

Winston Cadogo (sp) was a character from a sketch on Not the Nine o’clock News which involved an overly racist Policeman called Constable Savage.

firestarter
    Free Member

on a different note. one of my black work mates met one of my black friends and when my mate introduced himself as leroy my work mate laughed and said couldnt your parents think of a name so just gave you a black name

now is that racist ? 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Charlie – either, or… your point?

vinnyeh

It’s contextual.
    It’s ok on here, or in a round of jokes at a dinner party, because we all understand that there’s nothing malicious meant by it, but if it was said in the pub, then it could be easily overheard by a workman having a beer, and it might reinforce any racial stereotypes or prejudices he held.

cynic-al
    Free Member

and partly mocking the habit of the lower socio-economic groups to latch onto particular names or brands in a way that different way to the higher echelons of society don’t

That’s more like it, Tarquin.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Isn’t that Dr on TV who does all the genetics and children programs called Winston?

Not sure but trying to think of other Winstons

DezB
    Free Member

it could be easily overheard by a workman having a beer, and it might reinforce any racial stereotypes or prejudices he held.

Er, so, cos he’s racist, then the joke is?

IanMunro
    Free Member

That’s Robert Winston you’re thinking of.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Er, so, cos he’s racist, then the joke is?

Keep up at the back. This is exactly why Sacha Baron Cohen hates Jews.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Charlie – either, or… your point?

My point? I wasn’t making a point. I was asking a question.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m lost

Bez

One of our cats is called Winston.

He’s black.

Maybe as an acid test I need to show him a cigar and a car. If he smokes the cigar I’m not racist, and if he steals the car I am.

😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay Charlie… what was the point behind your question? 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lols at Bez

firestarter
    Free Member

well you would be desmond 😉 (see what i did there)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist and if so, why?’ is closed to new replies.