Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Italy biking recommendations
  • hoberinos
    Free Member

I’m planning on getting married in Italy next year 😀 around Perugia (in the middle), and I’d like to combine the trip with some biking (obviously!).

Does anyone know of any guides / routes around that area? – I’m thinking uplift with singletrack

Everything I find seems to be either Lake Garda or in the North West with rivierabike.co.uk
    The most Southernly point mentioned in my Footprint Europe guide is Cimone, just north of Florence, so that could be an option. Anyone been there?

Or is the riding up north good enough to make a detour at the start / end of the trip?
    All opinions welcome!

piha
    Free Member

I went to Riva del Garda last year and was very impressed with the area. I would say that it is worth making a detour to the Lake Garda area for a few days riding, the trails are well marked, lots of local bike shops with maps/guides available. We didn’t see many British people when we were there, lots of Germans but everyone was friendly enough. I haven’t been anywhere else in Italy so can’t compare Garda with other area’s.

hoberinos
    Free Member

Thanks piha,

Did you get a guide or just find your way around?
    Did you do any uplifts?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Riviera is brilliant riding, as good as the Alps or even better IMO, just a bit different. You get to hang out in a cool wee mountain village and see plenty more.

a11y

We’re considering heading to NE Italy to the Dolomites area for something different. Seems to be lots of route maps online covering the area around Cortina d’Ampezzo area, not sure on quality of riding but scenery looks amazing.

Still researching it though, just thought I’d flag it up.

spagetti89
    Free Member

I did 8 days in Livigno in 2008, some of the best alpine mtn biking I have ever done, will go back as soon as i get the opportunity. the company i used was italian safaris http://www.italiansafaris.com, reasonable prices, bikes and guides available and amazing trails – 10,000ft of DH in one day!

juan
    Free Member

Well DIY lake guarda.
    Package, riviera bike. But ask him to take you across the border 😉

piha
    Free Member

Hoberinos,

We didn’t do any uplifts but I seem to remember that they were available with the local bike shops, you could also use the nearby cable car. All routes were downloaded from http://www.gardamtb.com/index_eng.php so you didn’t need a guide, lots of well signposted routes to choose from as well. Loads of good info on their website. We rented an apartment but there are a plethora of quality campsites, hotels and apartments to choose from.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

I live in Pisa and there is some good riding around. As far as lift access goes, Abetone gravity park/Cimone are your nearest options from Perugia. Abetone has a cable car and five marked runs that are quite good. Definietly worth checking out if you are already in tuscany.

hoberinos
    Free Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like the best biking is up north then. Quite tempted by Riviera.
    Might have to try and move the wedding location!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Italy biking recommendations’ is closed to new replies.