Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • It's PC living with mental health problems!
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It would appear that the purpose of this edition is so that a literary classic can be taught in schools. Apparently teachers were avoiding what is possibly the most famous American novel of all, because of the obvious problems associated with using the word “****” as it is studied and discussed.

Huckleberry Finn might well give an accurate portrayal of the language used in the Deep South shortly after they were forced to abolish slavery, but like slavery, some of the words spoken at that time are offensive to modern day readers.

The alternative to not having this edition is that a classic novel is not taught in schools. Because it would be inappropriate for a teacher to verbalise the word “****” in front of a classroom of children. And not least in front of a mixed race classroom. Not only is the word offensive, but it is very likely that pupils might exploit its usage by teachers to justify using it themselves.

For the literary purists who wish their copies of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn to contain the word “****”, the solution is unbelievable simple……….they avoid buying that particular edition.

I can’t see any problem whatsoever, and perhaps a more appropriate title for this thread might have been “it’s a lot of fuss over nothing gone mad” 💡

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, i did forget the question mark

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t believe that I harbour a racist mindset, but I’m going to add a niggardly faggot to the fire: In a hundred years, no-one will understand the controversy.

But by 2111, the word “bike” will be considered so deeply offensive that this website will be censored.

druidh
    Free Member

It already is.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I take offence to the statement ‘It’s PC living with mental health problems’, as it seems to suggest that living with mental health problems is somehow bad and evil and wrong. I think it’s offensive to those living with mental health problems actually. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘It's PC living with mental health problems!’ is closed to new replies.