Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • I've gone and done it now… Full-sus, belt-drive content…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hell yeah!

I can't wait till tomorrow night to test it!

psychle
    Free Member

cool… I'd love to get another Kona A and do the same (though probably with an Alfine out the back 🙂 )

lipseal
    Free Member

Are you sure there will be enough flex in the belt?

Ringo
    Free Member

Bandito what belt drive system have you used is it a gates one? And if so can i ask how much didi it cost?

psychle
    Free Member

Are you sure there will be enough flex in the belt?

don't need it on the A… it pivots round the BB, so no chain growth etc 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

Cool 8)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

the belt doesn's stretch at all – what do I want flex for?

psychle – If I can find the funds (and it survives the winter as a SS) I'd like to put an Alfine 11 on it next year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, its a Gates. Cost about £200 for both sprockets, belt and horrifically expensive delivery from Germany. I've heard rumours they'll do a bulk-buy discount.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[gob smacked]

psychle
    Free Member

psychle – If I can find the funds (and it survives the winter as a SS) I'd like to put an Alfine 11 on it next year.

Schweet… the perfect winter bike eh!? 8)

lipseal
    Free Member

Only asked don't take it to heart. :mrgreen:

ir_bandito
    Free Member

well- the perfect winter bike would be rigid frame/forks, but belt-compatible rigid frames are hard to come by (yet)
    I wanted to build one up to give it a go before buying a new belt-specific frame.

Kahurangi

I'd tone down that 4th tag before the wife see it. It's essential!

Woody
    Free Member

Very nice.

Lionheart
    Free Member

i have have been looking for a Kona A to do just this! Interested to hear what it cost and how it runs?

kimbers

that is the bike of the future

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That washing in the background should be dry by now.

Ringo
    Free Member

Bandit where did you buy the kit from was it direct from gates. I'm looking into it myself at the moment and am shortly having a custom frame built up

Kahurangi

Neil – do you mean the tablecloth? or the Sofa? Poor stalking!

What have you done for top tube hose guides? Cable ties? John Swann @ the bike shop is using two silver ones on his A so if you buy a black pair he'll swap one.

Oh, and his is faster. It has white forks.

Northwind

That's ace, keep us updated will you?

PJM1974
    Free Member

That is great!

How well does a concentric BB/Pivot bike pedal?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i've wanted to do this to my Kona A – but have come to the conclusion that an unemployed person, who has 3 working bikes already, cannot afford to do this.

or to keep the kona A frame.

hence mine is for sale 🙁

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ringo – belt was direct from Universal Transmission (Nicolai)

Will update with more pics and ride review, erm, once I've ridden it!

oddjob
    Free Member

NIce idea, but my god that is an ugly thing.

Sorry

turboferret

I had a quote of around £150 from Shand Cycles for a belt and sprockets, so a bit cheaper than getting direct from Germany.

Might be worth giving Steven a shout if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Rich

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Good skills, looking forward to having a go. Makes me think of those rubber band powered aeroplanes I built as a kid.

Also leaning your bike against the wall like that is going to mark the paintwork…..

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

very nice Paul. Can I ask why rigid frames cannot take a belt drive?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Rigid frames can take a belt drive. But you have to get the saw out to fit it and then weld it together again, so it ain't going to be cheap or pretty!

foxyrider
    Free Member

SS FS? 😯

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

ah just realised that. 🙂

I guess with the full sus you take the rear linkage apart to get it on? guess someone needs to invent a belt that can be split then put back together….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I believe there are some rigis frames around that can be 'split' and rejoined. Doubt a belt can be made strong enough to be spilt

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have wanted to do the hardtail belt drive as well but not have a one off frame made. After looking around I bought a Whyte 19 as it thats looks good to cut and rejoin with plates. Will post pics when both brave enough and flush enough for the belts etc Thanks for link to Shand Cycles

thepodge
    Free Member

I've been looking at doing that with one of these:

only problem is they don't have horizontal dropouts so I'd have to stick to magic ratio

xc-steve
    Free Member

How does a belt drive pedal? Is it as instant as Metal? Or do you notice some slight stretch? Is it completely silent?! I want a full review!

epicyclo

Neat job ir_bandito 🙂

I was planning doing this to a Kona, but the price of the frame I was looking at went up, and I got diverted onto other projects and I'm not that keen on suspension anyway.

I'll be interested in your ride reports.

(BTW if you get flex problems they can be fixed.)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think Chipps tested an experimental Orange P7 singlespeed with a belt drive of some kind and was quite impressed with it. I recall he said it felt like a chain but very quiet and it continuously shed any mud it picked up.

kimbers

ill say it again it is the future

no nasty oily rattly chain to catch mud and clog up

pivot around the bb solves chain growth problems and probably avoid a lot of complicated suspension designs all wee need now is a lightweight belt compatible 10 speed version of hammerschimdt and life will be good

come on bike manufacturers sort it out

kona dont even make the A anymore do they?

molgrips
    Free Member

That, with a rohloff, is the ultimate.

wwaswas

kona dont even make the A anymore do they?

there are 'issues' with having a main pivot that is around the BB as far as pedalling efficiency is concerned. It's not an issue so much on play bikes but for the Kona A which was an xc bike they were a problem.

I guess new shock designs may help, though?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why can't you have a chain tensioner on a FS belt drive bike?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘I've gone and done it now… Full-sus, belt-drive content…’ is closed to new replies.