• This topic has 42 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I've had a go at customising my Fox Forks – what d'ya think?
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

I got these Vanillas cheap, with knackered stanchions (linky). I decided to learn how to paint, looked at a colour that matched the old 2001 Rock Shox SID team (electric blue, found VW Scirocco Rising Blue similar). The finish is far from perfect, and I have to wet and dry the lacquer off 4 times before I got a smooth finish, but for a first attempt and for the bike I think they look alright!

As they arrived (covered in oil…)

After splitting and stripping the paint:

‘Spray booth’

Rebuilt:

Decals? (they do not include the white edges…)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

In the “rebuilt” picture, what is the faint line around the downtube? Is it the edge of a sticker or where you painted over a massive crack? 🙂

Anthony
    Free Member

Did you use any etch primer?

Trimix
    Free Member

I like that colour – nice job.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Tracker1972 – The line is helitape 🙂

Anthony – Yes, primer x 2, colour x 3, lacquer x 2

Trimix – Thank you very much 🙂

oxym0r0n

Nice work – where did you get the new decals from?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That wouldn’t be my choice, but it does look good, suit the bike and you’ve made a good job of it! 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nice. I saw a guy at a race once who’d had his fox lowers resprayed fluo orange to match his Orange Clockwork reissue. That was also ‘proper bo’ (as befits something really good in 2001)

walla24
    Free Member

Lovely, good job.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How’s the toughness?

Swalsey
    Free Member

Oxymoron – The decals are from Slik Graphics (not silk as I tried to find!). The guy who runs it now has a dedicated set up for non-custom orders and was very helpful. Delivered the next day! The are standard graphics btw.

PeterPoddy – what would your choice be? I’ve not attached graphics yet as I am not entirely convinced on the colour – this was the inspiration as yellow looked cheap:

Thanks walla 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

The finish seems pretty tough, it didn’t scratch easily when I was building them up. Is that what you mean? :S

stayhigh

Nice work, looks very nice. I have a couple of questions for you as I’m thinking of doing this myself next year for my gf’s bike.

I was planning on Nitromors on mine, what did you use for stripping the paint with?

Were the lowers sprayed with just a standard rattlecan?

What grade wet & dry did you use?

Cheers 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

Here is a simply copy of my method for you – I’m an amateur but this is the result of my research efforts! 🙂
    – Strip down to lowers
    – Use nitromors to remove as much paint as possible, then 80+ grit sand paper to get the rest off if needed
    – Wash with muc off or similar
    – Use about 800 grit on any chips or scratches
    – I used primer and lacquer from Halfords car range and followed can instructions. The colour was mixed specifically for the new VW colour and I was told it was a better quality paint. The spray cans are all fine for this in my experience, however I had a lot of trouble as it was my first time with getting the coverage even and drying times. Lacquer needs to be sprayed a bit further from the surface but the normal ‘build it up in small layers’ was very true.
    – 2 coats primer, 2 colour, 2 lacquer.
    – 1200 grit wet sanding between coats (washing with much off and water then properly drying before the next coat)
    – drying times were huge – in the end I waited until I could not smell the solvent any more! The extra cold temperatures not doubt affected this.
    – I had most trouble with the lacquer as the complex shape meant some areas dried whilst I was still spraying, resulting in a rougher finish. In the end I sprayed the circumference of each leg at the same time in contrast to doing front, then side, then back. Oh and never, ever try to remove dust, hair or anything else whilst it is drying – it takes more work to correct that than it does to wet sand a tiny bit when dry.

Hope that’s useful to somebody!

stayhigh

Excellent stuff Swalsey thanks for that. My other half wants a green themed bike so that will be a great help especially if it comes out looking half as good yours 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

You’re welcome – cheers!

DT78
    Free Member

I’m impressed! I can see another project for me on the horizon 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Good job.

sc-xc

Looks very cool, and I reckon yes to the fork decals.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Very nice! Might try and do a frame. Was it left to dry outside in a shed/garage?

Macavity
    Free Member

Customising?
    No this is customising.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1442/lubbockdude1115648us1jp3.jpg

But… then again I could be wrong…

Onzadog
    Free Member

The finish on the paint job looks great and I really like that colour. Were you not tempted to remove the brake bosses while you had them stripped down?

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Customising?
    No this is customising.

I hope that guy has his rear wheel bolted in tightly…

Edric64
    Free Member

Not cool he’s wearing socks with sandals ffs

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good one.

radoggair
    Free Member

nice, and colour looks great althou doesn’t quite match bike

All you need to do is flip the stem, sort out your front brake cable hose and you’ll be ready

Swalsey
    Free Member

radoggair – stem has just been replaced with a zero rise X4, cable hose will be corrected with wider riser bars, and thank on the colour 🙂

Onzadog – yes I was tempted, but lacked the correct tools at home. I am thinking of doing them again in metallic black though as I’m not convinced with the blue, so may well do that!

HoratioHufnage – no they dried inside due to the temperatures up here

sx-xc – cheers. When I decide on the final colour, I will go for the decals, I agree that they look good!

Taff
    Free Member

Did you spray the crown as well and if so how did you mask the threads neatly? My Fox’s are in grey at the moment and want to spray the crowns black and the legs white. Sprayed a fair few frames in the past but with the current temperatures and masking required I may go and get it done.

bruneep

I take it you are single, with a spray booth in your kitchen

Taff
    Free Member

Did you spray the crown as well and if so how did you mask the threads neatly? My Fox’s are in grey at the moment and want to spray the crowns black and the legs white. Sprayed a fair few frames in the past but with the current temperatures and masking required I may go and get it done.

Ambrose

To make this ‘work’ would the dude need to pedal backwards?

Hairychested
    Free Member

He looks comfortable, could I please have some of the stuff he uses?

Ambrose

Obviously some thought has gone into this- on closer inspection it seems that the whole drivetrain has been swapped over.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Taff – Member

I didn’t spray the crown but may do. I’m not sure what you mean by the threads as they are not on the crown, but I masked the rim brake threads and the inside of the disc caliper tabs using carefully cut masking tape. I used the old seals packed with toilet paper to keep the bushes clean of paint etc.

runeep – Member
    I take it you are single, with a spray booth in your kitchen

No, I live with my girlfriend, I have 4 bikes mounted on the wall in the spare room and she is strangely OK with my behaviour, including refurbishing her split rim alloy wheels from here polo gti 🙂

fruitbat

Did you use an etch primer on the bare alloy? If not, I suspect that the paint adhesion might not be as good as you would want!

Swalsey
    Free Member

Yeah I used primer first thanks 🙂

EDIT – I did not use etch primer, didn’t realise ‘etch’ was any different until now, however the primer I used was suitable for bare metal and the surface was thoroughly cleaned and roughened up!

Euro
    Free Member

They look really well but aerosol lacquer is awful stuff. Can’t see them looking that good for long.

juiced
    Free Member

look brilliant. Nice bike too.

Swalsey
    Free Member

thanks!

Euro – why is it that bad and what is the alternative please? I’m keen to do another set, either these in black or my full suss in red.

Euro
    Free Member

The lacquer in a can is more about giving either a gloss or matt finish to something rather than a toughened final coat. If you really want it to last (and they look well – so you should really) take it to a professional spray shop and ask them to put some on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I've had a go at customising my Fox Forks – what d'ya think?’ is closed to new replies.