Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • I've had such fun in the woods today …
  • cinnamon_girl

Me and my mid-life crisis bike had a terrific day despite grey skies and a little rain.

As some of you are very well aware, I have "issues" with my riding 🙄 Can't ride for toffees, should join a knitting circle, shouldn't be allowed a day pass from the old folks home 😉

I asked the legendary jedi if he could help me and, boy, what a mighty fine session we had 8)

Jedi has the patience of a saint, trails were sessioned then riding assessed and what was particularly useful was jedi taking pics so I could see afterwards my body positioning. Couldn't believe the effect that a brilliant instructor can have with instilling confidence. No bullying, no shouting, just the passing on of knowledge and the belief that you can do it.

Big up to http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

simonralli2
    Free Member

I can't help but associate the word "sessioning" with people who know how to ride bikes to be honest, i.e. the only people who talk about sessioning can actually ride a tad! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Hello Simon!

Well, you know I can't ride but should I use the word "repeat" rather than session?

Are you enjoying the West Country?

Bunnyhop

Another fan of a skills course here.
    Even though I still can't do the things I was taught, my riding has improved.

Glad you had fun c_g, that's what it's all about.

jedi

cinnamon girl pics

i really enjoyed today elaine. thank you for your kind words too 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Bunnyhop 🙂

Blokes don't realise that most of us girlies didn't play on skateboards/bmx's when we were younger – we were given dolls! I feel I have totally missed out on learning balance skills and it's so hard when you're that much older 🙁

cinnamon_girl

jedi – I don't do Facebook!

jedi

i emailed you 🙂

Trekster

Blokes don't realise that most of us girlies didn't play on skateboards/bmx's when we were younger

Some of us are old enough and have lived out in the sticks(farm workers son)not to have known about these things 😕 can`t say I missed anything tho 😆

it's so hard when you're that much older

I suspect you are younger than I…………….. 😉

Well done, good to see you are getting back to enjoying your riding again, always think too many people lose their enjoyment trying to attain "targets" 💡

eg there is a guy locally who has done a trail in 1hr 20mins. I had a go without knocking my pan out and managed it in 1hr 40min. I am at least 20yrs older than this guy 🙄

jedi

age is just a number, you only grow old when you stop

loddrik
    Free Member

And I thought this thread may have been about dogging…

Trekster

age is just a number, you only grow old when you stop

Oh yes………………. 😀

Strange tho when you enlighten people what age you are what their response is 🙄
    Mike @ switchbacks was a classic 😆

btw…my "thing" is jumping, just can`t………………………

cinnamon_girl

loddrik – sorry to disappoint 🙂 The Chat Forum is over there>>

So … Trekster … do tell about Mike 😉

(The "youngsters" probably won't appreciate it!)

jedi

i'm back there coaching tomorrow ,group intermediate/advanced

simonralli2
    Free Member

cg

Just messing – I would love to have some training days with jedi, always have done!

Not been riding much these last few weeks and only really done one proper ride, but that just rocked with the local posse down here – loved the trails – just need to get out a bit more.

cinnamon_girl

Simon – jedi's the man 8)

So are you close to Dartmoor then?

Trekster

So … Trekster … do tell about Mike

When the subject of age came up I said I was ?? and his exclamation was ffs I have been riding with a XXyr old ❗ 😯

jedi

trekster, what???????

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Jedi /C_G : Those photos are at Swinley, right..?

Photo 10 of 13 – I've totally gone over the hadlebars at that exact set of rooty drops if I'm not mistaken! About 1 1/2 years ago.. It never looks as steep in the photos, does it? It was a great set of drops until some serious rain turned the run out from them into a front-wheel-sucking slimy rut that threw me off not once, but TWICE in succession (when I tried it again immediately after).

…Perhaps I could do with some Jedi-skilz? Hmmm…but I think he'd probably laugh at my bike. (At the time, the over-long stem, forks too soft and 1.95 tyres at 60 psi could have had something to do with my rapid off-ige.)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

CG – good to hear you enjoyed it. Like me, did you feel a big difference by the end of the session?

IMHO everyone would benefit from a Jedi session to review and improve the skills. I just can't stop thinking about what I learnt on Monday – it all makes sense and works.

erbii
    Free Member

Nice pics cg.. Keep it up 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

So….. what happened next………….air or a gentle roll-over? 😯

jedi

the coaching sesssion was at aspley woods, woburn sands.
    duntstick, the pic was when we worked through pumping and were going through the technique of jumping.

jedi

oh and she did start airing the front wheel over.
    was a very progressive day.( edit function timed out on above post )

andyspaceman

Hey Jedi, just saw on BikeBiz.com that you'd got UK Bike Skills started. I come over to STW, and lo and behold it looks like people are already having a whale of a time on your sessions.

Good work fella. It's a great line-up of coaches you've got.

Bunnyhop

Cinnamon_girl – you got air? I'm so jealous.
    Was talking to Conor on Saturday, he was trying to exlain the concept.

Totally agree with you about the boy's playing on BMX. I tended to ride horses.

I can't access the piccy's either, me no do Face book too.

jedi

just back from another group session.
    i havent seen bike biz site…………………will look in a min 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Save you the trouble of finding it…

UK Bike skills news item

jedi

thanks barnaby 🙂

shortbaldone
    Free Member

jedi – drink much beer you will
    feeling the force here……..

jedi

shortbaldone, what?? 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

head up, looking ahead, brakes covered.

=PRO!

cinnamon_girl

Bushwacked – yes, I definitely did feel that jedi's tuition made a difference 🙂 It was such a good feeling when it all came together 8)

Years ago, I did a bit of horseriding and sometimes used the indoor school. It had mirrors, strategically placed, and that was so useful for checking your body position cos actually you are not always doing what you think you are doing!!

no_eyed_dear – you may be thinking of the Alpine Trail at Swinley?

mangoridebike

bit of a bump – saw this over at the Dirt site.

Nice one Jedi – keep innovating 🙂

http://dirtmountainbike.com/uncategorized/tom-dowie-training-days.html

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘I've had such fun in the woods today …’ is closed to new replies.