Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • jetboil?
  • surfer
    Free Member

Looking at some lightweight cooking bits for the OMM.

I have a lightweight gas stove and was looking at an Alpkit Ti mug (when they come into stock)

However the Jetboil looks good and although heavier is an attractive and apprently blisteringly fast complete unit. They have also come down to under £50 so would be nice to have one for long days out as well as overnighters.

So, anyone recommend? criticise or comment please?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been toying with getting one, but to be honest all I really need is a decent windshield like this to go with my pocket rocket and titanium pan.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product210.asp

jordie
    Free Member

I have a Jet Boil and it is a pretty good bit of kit.The big cup that
    comes with it also can boil up Pasta and noodles in there and the lid serves as a handy drain. I still can`t believe how fast this thing boils
    water.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Superb bit of kit

psychle
    Free Member

They're very good (though a bit expensive). They do boil water very quickly (I did a test against my little pocket rocket, the difference was around 30% quicker, that was using a windshield as well), so you use less gas (handy if you're travelling light).

psychle
    Free Member

The coffee plunger thing is pretty handy as well 😀

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

And great for heating soup, milk, boiling pasta, sausages, etc.

Smee
    Free Member

Great bit of kit.

Dave
    Free Member

It features in the stove grinder next issue.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Cant say I have made up my mind but its good to hear comments from people that use it.

Thanks Stoner!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i decided, like stoner, to go for the msr pocket rocket, titan kettle and windshield option. Despite it's obvious advantages the jetboil system is too heavy and bulky for our needs. Very impressed with the MSR stuff. If you need titanium cookwear then dalehollowoutdoors on ebay do the very lovely snowpeak stuff for a great price and even marked mine up as a gift and included a birthday card! Arrived faster than a UK order placed on the same day!

Snowpeak also do a titanium hip flask 🙂

Dave
    Free Member

Snowpeak portable firepit is a thing of lovliness too.

deft
    Free Member

I use an MSR Pocket Rocket + Alpkit Ti mug. Coleman do a 300g/240ml canister that will fit inside the mug so size wise it ends up half that of a jetboil

montylikesbeer

I love my jetboil, a few weeks ago in Scotland bivvying up high it was superb and very light.

Dave
    Free Member

Very light?

montylikesbeer

when you take into account a small gas cannister (very efficient burn and burn time), burner and pot.

tragically1969
    Free Member

not used one but I would say its too heavy\bulky for the OMM but it depends how competitive you want to be, like most above i used a Pocket Rocket and a small pan for the Saunders MM, dont think you need anything more

glenh
    Free Member

There are lighter options, but the jet-boil is great for multiday stuff as it's so efficient on gas (100ml canister will do 2 people for 2 days, meals + drinks). I also like the way it all packs inside itself.

As monty says, if you take into account the integrated pan+mug and the reduced amount of gas you have to carry, it's pretty light.

Stoner
    Free Member

For interest:

MSR Pocket Rocket = 85g
    MSR Ti 850ml kettle = 118g
    Windshield = 50g
    100ml cannister = 200g
    = 450g in 850ml

JetBoil = 425g
    100ml cannister = 200g
    = 625g in a litre pack

glenh
    Free Member

For the same amount of heating, as an extra 100g canister to the pocket rocket setup = 650g

Stoner
    Free Member

ooooo, lets see some calcs and evidence for that one glenh! 🙂

every gramme and calorie to be counted!

Dave
    Free Member

that's a heavy windshield. Mine's 20ish

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i use a piece of tin foil as a wind shield, sometimes supported by two tent pegs 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

According to the manufacturers specs, a pocket rocket will boil 16L of water on a 227g cartridge.
    A jetboil will do 27.5L with the same amount of gas.

surfer
    Free Member

This year speed will not be an issue. I am only doing the C class with a less fit partner! Strictly speaking I am not to anal about weight however I need to get some kit for the OMM this year which I will use for future trips or future MM's. It makes sense to buy wisely now so I have the kit when I want to do the faster classes.

I am leaning more towards Stoners windshield solution and Deft,

MSR Pocket Rocket + Alpkit Ti mug

29erKeith
    Free Member

Will you be short on time at camp on the OMM?
    are you trying to save the world by using 2 gramms less gas for each litre of water boiled?
    would you rather have a lighter smaller pack on the OMM?

I'd go smaller and more compact, time's not and issue and your not going to save the enviroment with one especially when you take into account the extra material used additional weight in transporting 'em etc

jet boils are great for car/base camping but not on an MM IMHO

surfer
    Free Member

I'd go smaller and more compact, time's not and issue and your not going to save the enviroment with one especially when you take into account the extra material used additional weight in transporting 'em etc

[quote]

From a usability point of view speed of boiling isnt really a concern and they are all equally functional etc and given that I will only use it quite briefly for a 2 day event the amount of gas I carry is neither here nor there. 1 small canister will cover my needs. Weight and size are important so the MSR and Ti Alpkit mug it is.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Pocket rocket.

People wil laugh at you when you produce the jetboil.

Probably.

Coke can stove?

Still prob go pocket rocket myself.

Dave
    Free Member

Weight and size are important so the MSR and Ti Alpkit mug it is.

In that case I'd go with a Whitebox and Ti mug.

Stoner
    Free Member

pffft. Whitebox? Are you planning on cooking for a family of four? You're not trying hard enough!

Esbit's where it's at!

Weight: 13 g

🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Jetboil here,very fast as stated above,my only concern is they can be a bit unstable, and prone to falling over when in use,apart from that I cant fault it.

Built in lighter is great too. 😉

aviemoron
    Free Member

Stoner, I'm loving that. I had something similar made up from cheap n cheerful tent pegs and a "hexy" block; light, simple and aaaaah the smell! Takes me back.

Dave
    Free Member

Stoner, I like to taste my food not the fuel ;oP

Stoner
    Free Member

Welcome to Bob's ridiculously lightweight bits of kit emporium

Bob (and Rose) live in the vale below us. Havent been round there recently, but its an alladins cave of little cool bits of kit.

Stoner
    Free Member

I want to have a go with one of these
    The video of Bob on the website is good too.

http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product398.asp

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘jetboil?’ is closed to new replies.