Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Just been mugged and I hit the guy
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Walking back from the bar i Switzerland and this guy stepped out in front of me a little too close. He asked if I had a light (for a cigarette) and I said no, I don't smoke. He said 'Then give me your wallet'

He pushed me backwards against the wall and started to pull a knife from his pocket.

I decided that I didn't want to be there and thought punching his face would be a good exit strategy. As I went to punch him, he leant backwards to save his face and got the full force punch in the throat. Him hit the ground gasping fairly quickly.

As he hit the ground, his two mates came out of the alley already armed. I pointed at their mate and shouted 'Hospital'. During the confusion that ensured I left.

Two questions

1) Am I likely to have done any lasting harm? I know he was a toerag but I hit him out of reaction rather than thought and he didn't appear to be breathing very well when I left.

2) How long before I stop shaking with fear/adrenalin? I was tired and wanted to go to bed but am now unable to unwind.

tinribz
    Free Member

If he was pulling out a knife he deserved it, wouldnt waste your time thinking about it.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I was surprised at my reaction, I don't normally hit people.

Watching him lying there gasping for air wasn't nice.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Watching him lying there gasping for air wasn't nice.

Nor was pulling a knife on you.

And it might have saved you from getting stabbed by his mates.

Just be glad that it turned out alright for you.

brakes
    Free Member

good for you
    did you contact the police?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Yep, you chose the right thing to do at that moment. Some **** pulled a knife on you and you're okay – be thankful you're unscathed and delivered his come-uppance.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Now trying to go to sleep.

Not sure if I am angry scared or what.

I lie there for 15 minutes and then have to get up and walk around.

Will try to sleep again. Night all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I lie there for 15 minutes and then have to get up and walk around.

It's the adrenalin.

Let us know how you are tomorrow.

deserter
    Free Member

well done you may have saved your life tonight, quite frankly **** him

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Chances are he'll be ok. A swift punch to the throat is a very effective way of putting an attacker down.

Well done.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Don't worry about him,you played a blinder 8)

LHS
    Free Member

As above, if any f***er pulls a knife on you then its fair game. I would have stamped on his groin whilst he was on the floor just for good measure.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Good effort, sounds like the **** deserved it. Might be wise to report the incident to the police, just in case he did attend hospital and the police got involved. Your word against his.

surfer
    Free Member

Am I likely to have done any lasting harm? I know he was a toerag but I hit him out of reaction rather than thought and he didn't appear to be breathing very well when I left.

Whats wrong with you! 🙄

Seriously it sounds like you got off lightly, its a shame he wasnt on his own. I would have been tempted to carry on once I got a good punch in! OK maybe not if he was on the floor but I wouldnt feel any guilt.

wwaswas

My reaction would have been the same – defend myself then worry I'd hurt the other guy. My view is that the 'worrying about the other bloke' thing is what makes me different to them.

Hope you're ok this morning – I'd report it to the local police, if onyl so they can patrol there a bit more and see if they come back – you won;t have been the first victim.

.duncan
    Free Member

Sounds like you were more successful than i was… british types hit you from behind then around the face a few times and then ask for your wallet. None of this cigarette sociable-ness 😉

Well done is all i can say, not many people get away from a 3 v 1

Jamie
    Free Member

What i am wondering is how you will manage to turn this into a plug for a certain cycling event.

bruneep

Jamie – Member

What i am wondering is how you will manage to turn this into a plug for a certain cycling event.

Bare knuckle fighting.
    Is it one of the side events?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

well done!

try and forget about it (easier sad then done i know)

oldgit
    Free Member

BigBikeBash I've been punched in the throat and went down like a sack of spuds, no lasting harm done.
    How long will the adrenalin rush last? a fair while and it sometimes comes back. I've fought off two muggings/assults. One had a bicycle chain, but he seemed more worried than me. I didn't have to hit him just hold him off. The second was a kid with a penknife, it was tiny, mother of pearl with Denmark and a mermaid on it! I saw him off though he did somehow stab me in the hip. Sometimes I can be somewhere and I get the sweats.
    I'm not cowardly, but I can't understand why it still comes back and bothers me. I suppose it's the thought of what could have happened.

lowey

1) who cares.

2) probably 12 hrs or so before the adrenalin totally wears off.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Sounds like reasonable force to me, one punch to defend yourself, stuff him

willard

BBB,

Good job on getting away from a tough situation. No one likes to get mugged and with a knife involved, it was probably the best thing to do. Glad you got away safe.

My only concern is that, in Switzerland, going to the police may land you in trouble more than him, so just take it easy.

Hope you slept ok by the way, I know how badly adrenaline can mess up your sleep.

alpin
    Free Member

1) Am I likely to have done any lasting harm?

does it matter?

Sidney
    Free Member

I like this mantra:

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Well done for surviving. I think you are lucky to come out of it unscathed.

LHS
    Free Member

does it matter?

+1

DezB
    Free Member

Hopefully.

Hope you didn't hurt your hand.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know that tickets for the big bike bash are desirable but what I want to know is… how did some guy in Switzerland know that you were the man to mug?

jonb
    Free Member

Sounds like reasonable force, if your going to hit someone with a knife it's probably recommended to hit them hard enough that they don't get back up soon.

Shame you weren't carrying bombers.

meehaja
    Free Member

re: lasting harm, probably not, the force of the punch would send all the air within that space upwards(not very much) or downwards (lots). As a result, the gasping for air will be because you winded him. The trachea (windpipe) is quite flexible to allow you to swallow large pieces of food etc. Can't think of anything that would kill him or seriously damage him instantaneously (unless he was obviously bleeding/fitting/dead) chances are he was just winded, shocked and will have a stiff neck/ whiplash this morning. Shame he didn't fall on his own knife really.

good effort, 10/10

juan
    Free Member

I am just glad you're ok… I though switzerland was meant to be a crime free place.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Good on you. Saved yourself and possibly others from a knife weilding nutter. Nowt to feel guilty about. And next time you by a beer think if it as a free one, paid for by the money you nearly lost.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Punch in the throat – that's brilliant! If he'd not backed off and just took it in the face he'd have probably been able to carry on his assault. But instead you've floored him in one go and probably not messed your hand up in the process.

Get that man a medal!

backhander
    Free Member

As I went to punch him, he leant backwards to save his face and got the full force punch in the throat. Him hit the ground gasping fairly quickly.

That is textbook and you have covered the self defense angle very well. He won't die so don't worry.
    I did a similar thing when a somali tried to mug me a couple of years back. Go down quick don't they?

Caher

I would still go to the police and the British Consulate and tell them your story. Not sure if you are visiting Switzerland or living there but they do have some funny procedures that are not intuitive sometimes.

This must have been a one off event as this is a really safe country.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Had a similar experience many years ago on the last tube of the night in London. Been to a Clash gig (told you it was a while ago!) and as my mate and I got on the tube 7 or 8 skinheads got on to.

To cut a long story short two of them pulled knives and we didn't hesitate to get the first punch in. The one who went for me was very drunk and stumbled as he tried to stab me and so I grabbed him around the neck and bashed it against the connecting door, by this time we'd reached a station so we jumped off and legged it.

The next day the local news reported that 4 skinheads had been attacked by a gang of 10 or 12 punks and one had a broken jaw the other a broken arm.

Did we do the wrong thing – maybe but they were planning on stabbing us so they deserved everything they got.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What's that smell?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As others have said, **** him.

Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that. Its not like you antagonised him to pull the knife is it?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I am all for turning the other cheek these days but I grew up in Brixton and have been knifed 4 times (only stabbed once, slashed the other times). You did exactly the right thing, I wouldn't give it any more thought.

leftyboy
    Free Member

What are you saying ourkidsam?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Just been mugged and I hit the guy’ is closed to new replies.