Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Just bought tickets to see the Pixies in Glasgow!
  • grumm
    Free Member

It's a Doolittle anniversary tour – prob my favourite album of theirs. Hope they are good – seen a few recent youtube clips that sounded pretty decent.

BTW anyone know any good places to eat not a million miles from the SECC?

Ta

doug_basqueMTB.com

Man that'll be good. Shame it's the SECC but I'm sure they'll manage to pull it off.

Yeah, there's loads of options for eating round there. Firstly don't park in their car park, it's hell on hearth. Park on Sauchihall Street near the University end (or just off). There's two great resteraunts round there. Mother India is fantastic if you want a curry. Also there's a Malaysian place, can't remember the name but it's obvious I think that is very 'traditional' but very good if you don't order the pork gristle or anything! OH! There's Thai Siam there too if you fancy that, bit more expensive but you might catch the pre-theater which is a good deal. Then a pint and dram or two in the Ben Nevis and you just need to walk through the walkway over the Clydeside Expressway and you're there.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one mate, thanks for that. V useful.

Yeah I much prefer intimate venues to big arena type places generally but I'm sure it will be fun anyway.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It's a Doolittle anniversary tour

Holy **** shit, runs to buy tickets.

Garry_Lager

I saw them on a reunion tour a few years back at a festival – really good tbh – you'll be impressed. I'd seen them in their prime in Manchester, all time great gig, and their sound was just as good as I remember. Kim's been eating well since then, mind.

Doolittle is also my favourite I reckon – maybe not their absolute best but it was the first one I heard.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sold out :cries:

llama

saw them at brixton 20 years ago dragged along by mrs llama

went in not bothered

came out a big fan

I actually cried when they turned on the lights at the end and did stormy weather. Don't tell mrs llama though!

TN
    Free Member

I saw them in Sheffield about 20 years ago too – my god, they were fantastic. I also went along 'as a favour' because my friend ended up with an unused ticket and didn't want to go on her own. It is up there with the best gigs I have ever been to.

I am sure they will be fantastic Grumm. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

They were already sold out when I found out about the tour a week or two ago.

Might check ebay for more reasonably priced tickets closer to the date. Did you pay an arm and a leg Grumm?

Possibly controversial, but I think Bossanova is my fave album.

DezB
    Free Member

Doolittle better that Surfer Rosa?! Getouttahere!
    Both fab in their day though.
    I nearly bumped right into Kim Deal at the Portsmouth Guildhall when I saw them back in the day… ooh, star struck 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Sold out for which gig? The Glasgow one? I bought them last night – they are seated ones though so I will be miles away etc but never mind. £30 from a link on the SECC site.

DezB
    Free Member

I've got Surfer Rosa on my iPod -random selections are great on the commute.
    Just had a thought though – should get Doolittle on there, if only for ..

"Cooky I think you're… TAME!!!!"

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

doug has it spot on.

diggers
    Free Member

thanks for the heads up, just got myself two tickets 🙂

nickc

"All I know is that he was into Field Hockey players"

roper
    Free Member

Anyone know if they are planning to tour Spain?
    😕

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Pixies.

No definite article.

Now, where's that arrogance thread?

nedrapier

Got my tickets for Brixton in the post yesterday morning!

I nearly hijacked the "Can't believe it's been 20 years…" thread, but deleted by accident and couldn't be beothered to rewrite.

Can't wait. It was the first album I got myself (after a few of Dad's hand me down LPs – Stones, Deep Purple, Dire Straits and…. flannagan and Allen. still a bit wtf about that last one)

DezB
    Free Member

Last one? Last TWO!

nedrapier

I'm not averse to a bit of Knopfler, but even if you hate them, there's still a clear winner in the odd-one-out stakes!

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

HEY! been trying to meet you

I ordered my tickets on the day of release, saw them when they played Meadowbank a few years ago but the sound wasn't great, really looking forward to this one though

see here

MrGrim

Same here for the Meadowbank gig, I wasn't old enough to go to the original gigs when they were first together. I got back from Meadowbank to home in Fife at midnight before having to get to Glasgow Airport for a flight at 02:00 😀

Got SECC tickets on the day they came out. Forget what anyone says about the SECC being a rubbish venue, it's going to be great!

grumm
    Free Member

This Sunday – woot!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Pixies

pah

I'm working at a Daniel O'Donnel gig in a couple of weeks

In DUBLIN

Home country and all that

now THAT'S rock and roll

MrGrim

Great gig. Sons and Daughters were a brilliant warm up and the Pixies rocked the SECC. Sound was a lot better than expected. The video behind Here Comes Your Man was ace 🙂

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I was there last night. What a gig. Got home at 1:00 this morning, still drenched in sweat feeling a little battered and bruised. The ringing in my ears is just starting to ease off now.

atlaz
    Free Member

I saw the Pixies at V a few years back. Felt very much like they were there for the money. Frank Black kept giving Kim Deal filthy looks whenever she tried to interact with the audience.

The music was good, but as a show it was a bit of a let down.

nedrapier

Going to see them tomorrow night! Anyone know if The Big Pink are any good?

Sqwubbsy – what time did the gig actually end? I'm trying to work out whether I need to orgaise somewhere to stay in town, or if I'll be able to catch a train back out to the sticks.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

nedrapier

They did about an hour and a half set starting at 9ish, so finished about 10:30. A few b-sides then on to Doolittle followed by two encores which was mainly tracks from Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim.

Enjoy.

grumm
    Free Member

That was awesome! Not much in the way of banter with the crowd but they sounded great and it looked good too. The second encore went on for ages!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Had a nice meal and some live jazz earlier in the day in the 78, then a few drams in the Ben Nevis afterwards. Excellent evening!

slimtubing
    Free Member

Seeing them here in Auckland in march Woot!

nedrapier

It was great. Brilliant album, brilliant gig. That'll add something to the next 20 years of listening to Doolittle!

Some of their least well known B sides to kick off with, but the bassline to Debaser kicked things off good and proper. Bone Machine, Into the White and Gigantic as encores.

Frank and Kim even put on a little tiff for us right at the end!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Just bought tickets to see the Pixies in Glasgow!’ is closed to new replies.