Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kerching. Cashing in karma… The Cycle Junction (Wheelock). A public thank you!
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

I must have done something nice to someone recently (can't really remember, but I do try…) 🙂

I've not been commuting long, but it's a nice 22 miles each way, main road for half of it, then the other half on the Route 70 Cheshire Cycleway – relatively quiet roads, nice scenery, usual stuff. I think that if I do it once or twice a week, it's a fair few hours of 'free' cycling time – I'd spend 1.5 hours a day in the car anyway, so 3 hours on the bike is great value.

Left work tonight, the sun was out, the wind almost on my back, Friday evening, everything right with the world, about 4 miles in and on the country lanes and felt something rubbing on the back wheel. I stopped, held the bike at arms length to have a peer at it to be greeted by the almighty BANG of one's rear tyre exploding. I must have trapped the tube when seating the tyre (a good couple of hundred miles ago…) but nonetheless, it was a touch annoying. Still – I had a tube, levers and a pump – no hassle.

Pumping away at the new tube, it was a tiny bit disappointing to see the valve stem sheer off just north of the rim. This now put me in a little bit of a pickle. It would have been less of a pickle, but embaressing nonetheless if I hadn't left my mobile at home for the first time in over 8 years. I was in the proverbial and facing a long walk.

So I stuck my thumb out. The builders van that came along first ignored me, and then there was a long, long wait for the next vehicle (bearing in mind it's a nice quiet, low traffic, cycle route…) The next vehicle was a van as well – driven by Mike from The Cycle Junction in Wheelock near Sandbach. He came to a halt just down the road and reversed back.

What are the odds of that happening? 🙂

To cut a long story (not very) short – bike in the back, visit customer to collect her bike, back to the shop, unlock, turn lights on, buy tube, borrow track pump, lock up (it's now about 7pm) and ride home.

Thanks Mike – you're a gent and I wish you well with the new business – you got me out of a right old mess, and I'm sufficiently grateful to you to let the STW massive see me make a fool of myself in public by telling the story! 😳

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Good luck aswell, but £10 for a tube and fitting?!

pastcaring
    Free Member

John_Rowlands – Member

that what my mates shop charges, every other bike shop in the area charges £15! (north london)

you could alway DIY?

hillsplease

Mike sounds like a top chap. Splendid work. It does seem that LBS land is largely populated by thoroughly decent and helpful types. Hurrah!

timmys

It took you six months to decide to post the highly insightful info that a particular bike shop charges a pretty standard price for supplying and fitting a tube?

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

It took you six months to decide to post the highly insightful info that a particular bike shop charges a pretty standard price for supplying and fitting a tube?

Nope, only just found the thread 😀 Agreed a profit has to be made, but have vision of some poor kid going in with a puncture asking to be repaired only to have a months worth of pocket money taken?!

wwaswas

It’s probably £12 now with Vat rises etc 🙂

pastcaring
    Free Member

but have vision of some poor kid going in with a puncture asking to be repaired only to have a months worth of pocket money taken?!

tube £4/5 work shop time £5/6. workshop time costs the same for fixing a puncture as fitting a headset/cables etc

i really don’t see you point.

kid should learn to do it himself! like we all had to, it’s not hard…

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

tube £4/5 work shop time £5/6. workshop time costs the same for fixing a puncture as fitting a headset/cables etc

Headset fitting tool: Around £100?
    Tyre levers: £2.50

Cant see how the cost is the same?!

pastcaring
    Free Member

it’s the time it takes!

no special tools to fit cables, mec etc. work shop time costs the same what ever the job!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Customer (OP) was happy. Isn’t that the important bit?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

WhingingTrackWorld strikes again!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kerching. Cashing in karma… The Cycle Junction (Wheelock). A public thank you!’ is closed to new replies.