Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Kielder Midges
  • Chevin
    Free Member

I'm collecting together bits for the scarily close Kielder 100. Is Avon Skin So Soft(?) the best midge repellent? Does anything actually work?

Cheers,

Matthew

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Yes it does work well. they do one now with repelant in it aswell

MSP

Midges aren't much of a problem away from the Scotish highlands and west coast, if you must use something use deet, skin so soft is just a myth.

uplink
    Free Member

Does anything actually work?

The only thing guaranteed to work is Deet

Other stuff may work for you but not others & vice versa – Deet works for everyone

uplink
    Free Member

Midges aren't much of a problem away from the Scotish highlands and west coast

You've not been to Kielder when there's a hatch then?

wwaswas

I got eaten by midges in the New Forest a couple of months back.

We wondered why everyone else in the campsite was in their tents with the flaps down when we rolled up and started pitching our new tent.

TooTall
    Free Member

I will never ever camp in Kielder again. I did it once. The sheer terror of watching the swarms of midges throwing themselves at the pub window only built the anticipation of getting back to the tent.

Picking midges out of your teeth because you inhaled a cloud of them isn't nice.

midgebait
    Free Member

As a former trail-builder at Kielder all I can say is 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tootal MTFU

thomthumb
    Free Member

Midges aren't much of a problem away from the Scotish highlands and west coast,

are they well known to respect borders?

unsponsored
    Free Member

Have you been to Kielder?

TooTall
    Free Member

Nope – I'd take Surfer-Mat on before camping in Kielder again!

*squeals like a girly*

matth75
    Free Member

Skin so soft seemed to work for JonB & me up there the other weekend. Mind you it's the standing still that seems to be the point at which they eat you alive. Bee keepers outfit anyone?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Nope – no midges at Keilder 😆

midge eater

drain

DEET is the word. Evil stuff, it's a case of whether it kills you or the bugs first, but it certainly works.

That said, they didn't give me any grief at last year's Kielder 100 despite not taking any midge repellent, but maybe I was just lucky.

It is, as you say, now scarily close 😯

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I'm going to slightly hijack this thread.

I may be selling my entry ( I won't bore you with why ), is anyone interested ?

Mail in profile.

😥

jonb
    Free Member

Indeed, skin so soft does work for midgies, not for anything else though.

Deet also works but I'd avoid it unless it was necessary as it's not particularly nice. If you have time on your hands I think the "active" ingredient in Skin so soft is limonene (I vaguely remember making some in an undergraduate lab, or using it a precursor to something, the ether makes things fuzzy).

Over the last few weeks they've not been that bad but it's been windy an we weren't there in the evening.

mark_b
    Free Member

I have 'fond' memories of turning up to a Kielder Sunmmer Polaris many years ago and wondering why the marshalls were all wearing full mosquito head nets.

Then we got out of the car and found out why. In your eyes/ears/nose/everywhere within seconds.

Gave you an incentive to keep riding though to escape the buggers.

neninja
    Free Member

Kielder can be a nightmare for midges. Hamsterley was bad the other night – fine until we got back to the cars and started gassing – within minutes we were being eaten alive.

At least it got us on the way to the pub quicker.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

DEET

slowjo
    Free Member

IME Skin so Soft works well for midges, mozzies and whatever those evil things are in Thetford Forest that leave series of golf ball size swellings (that weep) all over your legs, arms and any exposed area. So you smell like weird but if it works…..

nedrapier

nedrapier

Skin so Soft kind of works. You need to spray it on thick though, and it works by making it difficult for the midges to actually puncture your skin and make a withdrawal, rather than making it genuinely unpleasant like DEET does, so you can still feel them landing on you, but you might not get bitten as much

And although it's not as poisonous as DEET, it certainly makes your food taste pretty nasty if it gets on your lips, your fingers and your food

Drac

Midges aren't much of a problem away from the Scotish highlands and west coast, if you must use something use deet,

Really?

elaineanne
    Free Member

i went to Keilder once just walking and we were swarmed by midges. sat down for a picnic and were swarmed by hundreds of the little blighters ! and the more we tried to run away from them, they just kept going round in circles above out heads ! it was awfull…
    went to Whinlatter forest t'other day and i was eaten alive by midges… im still scratting my arms and legs. lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Kielder Midges’ is closed to new replies.