Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Kinross Sportive recce – Sunday April 3rd
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just following up on a post from a couple of weeks back where I rashly promised to organise a recce for the Kinross Sportive, which is on the 23rd April.

So, is there sufficient interest to do this on Sunday 3rd April? I’m super-busy with work until the skool holidays start so that’s the first date I can manage.

Post here if you’re interested and then I can work out times, meeting point, route etc.

Cheers,

SC

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I can’t do the 3rd – TBC/hervelo have organised a recce of the etape route (although i’m not doing the etape, i like the route so going along anyway). Druidh will also be on that.

Can we look at other dates? Are you doing the black route on the day of the sportive (can’t remember if i asked you this already)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

No probs on other dates.

I’m on holiday for 2 weeks and aside from a weekend in Cologne from 15th – 17th, don’t have any major plans.

Suggest a date within that period and I’m sure I can fit things around it – can you manage mid-week?

I’m doing the black route on the day.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m up for it given a more suitable date

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK Druidh – what dates suit?

druidh
    Free Member

Oh yeah – that’s right. Put it all onto me!!

druidh
    Free Member

9th/10th, 23rd/24th all work for me. Some mid-week days are fine too – especially Thu/Fri.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

9/10 cool for me too. Could take a Friday off if suits, as long as weathers nice – it’s not usually when I take a day off to ride!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Up for that also but again planning on the TBC/Etape ride so an alternative date would be ideal.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Let’s say Sat 9th for now and keep Sun 10th in reserve in case the weather is shite on the Saturday. Unlikely, I know, but the Costa del Fife isn’t always the shangri-la it is widely portrayed to be…

I’m thinking of a route based round the western part of the black route – 60 miles or so. Details to follow…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Stuart – if I’m free I might tag along. Will keep an eye on the thread.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Nice one SF. You can keep me right on navigation…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Couple of roads on the route I’ve not done – the ones near Newburgh and the Wicks o’ Baiglie climb.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Isn’t Wicks O’Baigle the climb from Bridge of Earn up to Glenfarg?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Nope – scrub that. Just looked at the OS map. Looks like I need to do a recce of the recce.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie, I might be up for this, but my climbing is mince. Looking at the route, it takes in just about every badass climb in the county.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Pace will be easy-ish McM. We’ll keep it under 24mph average…

druidh
    Free Member

stuartie_c – Member
    I’m thinking of a route based round the western part of the black route

shortbread_fanylion – Member
    Couple of roads on the route I’ve not done – the ones near Newburgh and the Wicks o’ Baiglie climb.

stuartie_c – Member
    Nice one SF. You can keep me right on navigation…

Do you want to rethink that last comment???

druidh
    Free Member

stuartie_c – Member
    Pace will be easy-ish McM. We’ll keep it under 24mph average…

It’ll be fine, DGOAB will be pulling us along….

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Do you want to rethink that last comment???

What can possibly go wrong?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, DGOAB will be pulling us along….

Oo err matron

I know the part from Kinross to Dunning and the Yetts o’ Muckhart well, and the bit over the Cliesh hills. I’ve never been over the Knockhill way before. Should be a good loop.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – here is the plan.

Date: Sunday 10th April
    Time: 10am start (get there for 9:30 to allow for fannying around)
    Meeting point: Loch Leven Community Campus

Plan is to ride from Kinross to pick up the black route at the climb towards Path of Condie then onto Dunning before returning via Glen Devon, Knock Hill and Cleish. This is the western section on the map above and has most of the hills on the route. This takes us back to Kinross and there is then the option to ride the Eastern part of the route (much flatter) depending on energy levels and weather.

Post below if you’re definitely coming. I’m not bothered if people hedge their bets until the Saturday, as long as I know on the day who will be there. Similarly, no probs if you opt in then wake up on the Sunday and don’t feel like it – just let me know (email for my mobile no if you don’t have it already).

Cheers,

SC

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Kinross Sportive recce – Sunday April 3rd’ is closed to new replies.