Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes- is there snow?
  • Blower
    Free Member

Title change.. how much snow? 🙄
    Weekend of riding at the weekend,staying at grasmere,wondered how bad it is at the mo? want to do Hellvelyn and Walnar Scar maybe.
    cheers.

karnali
    Free Member

as a guess form looking at the moutnains from this morning scommute in snow level around 400m so there will be snow on hellvelyn, walna may be ok, may be ok on hellvelyn some one will be along who's ben up lately i'm sure. the lower trails around ambleside should be ok.

lowey
    grumm
    Free Member

FELLTOP CONDITIONS REPORT from Helvellyn at 1400 on Wednesday 3rd March 2010.

There is little snow or ice on paths below 450m. Above 450m, the snow depth increases with height to over 100cm in drifts, even on the summit plateau. At lower levels, large sections of paths are covered with compacted snow and ice. Higher up, recent westerly winds have deposited loose windslab on north-east to south-east facing slopes. In places this loose snow is lying on more compacted neve and is potentially unstable. Both Striding and Swirral Edge are in full winter condition, with loose snow on the steep exit ramps, and should only be negotiated by the experienced. Large cornices along the summit ridges are also heavily loaded, so please keep well back from the edge.

Full winter clothing, footwear and equipment including ice axe and crampons are essential for anyone venturing out onto the fells and going above the snowline. The deep snow covering all paths, combined with low cloud can make navigation at altitude challenging, so good navigation skills are essential, as is the ability to assess your route carefully and be prepared to turn back when necessary. Several upland tarns, including Red Tarn, have frozen and are hidden under a blanket of snow, so best to keep well back from the edges.

Summit statistics from Helvellyn at 1400:Temperature: minus 0.6 c Wind chill: minus 7.0 c Max wind speed: 13.7 mph Average wind speed: 11.8 mph (southerly)

Lowey that webcam is from 2nd November. I can see a reasonable amount of snow on the hills from my bathroom window in Lancaster 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

there were walkers/climbers in our hostel last weekend. We stayed low on our bikes but still plenty to be had

EDIT: I meant there were walkers/climbers with crampons and axes!

d'oh!

Blower
    Free Member

Low may be the way to go! 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Helvellyn a couple of days ago (not my pic)

lowey

Lowey that webcam is from 2nd November

Opps… 😳 Well spotted Grumm.

rideit
    Free Member

Ansa, it is not bad, it is fantastic! All routes below about 2000ft are in superb condition, ground is hard and there is no snow and very little ice. We have had no real amounts of rain for almost a month, this week has been blue sky, sun and frosty nights. Walna Scar will have some snow and some patches of ice, but will be rideable. Helvelyn will be doable if you are experienced and know what you are letting yourself in for. Pete, who works here was on the summit a few days ago on a bike, no problem. However, if we get any wind then the snow pack will become glazed, and it would not be a great place to be on a bike. Keep lower and enjoy some fantastic riding. If you need route advice just ask. Andy@biketreks

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Not sure about Helvellyn, but the snow was waist deep on top of Skiddaw last Saturday. It's been a pretty sunny week though and the snow looks to be gradually receding towards the tops up here (Keswick).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes- is there snow?’ is closed to new replies.