Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Laundry – cost of using washing machine/launderette? Sorry!
  • cinnamon_girl

My Googling skills appear to be rubbish. 😳

I am trying to find out the cost per load of using a washing machine (cold fill only) and ideally should factor in a water meter as well as detergent.

Alternatively, what is the cost per load at a launderette?

There’s bound to be someone on STW who knows so thanks in advance. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Mumsnet?

cinnamon_girl

druid – I would be terrified, and I speak as a woman!

Actually:

/Sammie to the Forum/

Ideal first post for you. 🙂

toab
    Free Member

I used to go to a cheap laundrette in Aberystwyth and it worked about £4 a load ( or £6 if you wanted things really dry, rather than dry enough to finish off at home).

The washers at that laundrette were twice the size as normal washing machines so took twice as much

cinnamon_girl

Thanks toab. What was the cost excluding tumble drying please?

Edit: I assume that £4 just includes the usual spin?

Stoner
    Free Member

Use the energy rating for the washing machine to calculate energy consumption per Kg of load:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_Energy_Label

so, say a B rated washing machine with 5Kg load, is a maximum of 0.23 kWh per KG, or 1.13 kWh.

assume electricity costs about 12p-15p per kWh, so 14p per 5 Kg load in a B rated washing machine.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you Stoner. That doesn’t sound very much for a programme that takes 1.1/4 hours, also has to heat up water?

Stoner
    Free Member

a washing machine might be rated between 2 and 3 kW. It doesnt need to heat water for the whole 75 minute cycle, in fact probably only a third of the cycle so for 25 minutes or just under half an hour. 2kw for half an hour is 1kWh or 12-15p.

Think of it like a kettle, the element isnt much different – kettles are rated at between 2kW and 3kW. Think how much hot water you could make with a kettle on for 25 minutes.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again Stonor, beautifully explained. 🙂 I find it difficult to get my head round these things!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I took my down jacket to the local launderette recently, to tumble dry it. I think a full wash in a machine was a couple of quid or something. Far more expensive than running a machine at home, even if you factor in the cost of a new machine every few years.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re trying to work out if it’s cheaper to use the laundrette or buy and run a wahing machine, then your own washing machine will always be cheaper…. Laundrettes have to make a profit you know! 🙂

Or Indesit was about £250, 8 years ago. At 2 loads a week (That’s on the low side) it’s cost about 31p a load based on that.
    Electric and detergent? £4 for 25 washes on detergent sounds about right – 16p? (Call it 20p)
    Electric? Lord knows. Even if it’s £1 a load you’re still only looking at £1.50……..

🙂

EDIT
    Slow typing, just seen the posts above. 70p a load then!

toab
    Free Member

C_G, yeah £4 to wash and swin but noi tumble drying.

My Laundrette did tumble drying in 20p installments so usually I just sorted out the things I really needed straight away and did those.

I think running a machine would be cheaper

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the replies. 🙂

Definitely not getting rid of my washing machine. Have been doing washing for someone and if it was one or two loads then I wouldn’t charge. But it is more than that and I am not being taken advantage of!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G – This would have made a great first post indeed. Especially as I could tie it in to my concerns about using reusable nappies for my second child (expected April).

I’m concerend that it would reveal me to be a mumsnet fraudster though!

cinnamon_girl

No no! Us STW’ers won’t say anything, your secret is safe with us. 🙂

Go on TheSouthernCrumpet Sammie, you know you want to!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But some how other STWers have been ousted on there!

Maybe I should give you my e-mail for other mumsey type questions.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But it is more than that and I am not being taken advantage of!

Ah. Fairy nuff!

Saccades
    Free Member

Until the GF put her foot down I used to get all my stuff washed at a laundrette, £15 for a massive bag of dark wash in the main compartment and whites in the end pockets. Used to come back all washed and dried and folded and would last me nearly 3 weeks.

A bargain in my eyes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Until the GF put her foot down I used to get all my stuff washed at a laundrette, £15 for a massive bag of dark wash in the main compartment and whites in the end pockets. Used to come back all washed and dried and folded and would last me nearly 3 weeks.

A bargain in my eyes!

Well, if it lasted ‘nearly 3 weeks’ that’s about £290 a year, or £2320 for the (to date) lifetime of out £250 washing machine…..

I’ve saved £2000! 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

launderette near me is £1.40 (+ your own wash powder) for a wash load slightly larger than a domestic washer. The wash lasts about 30mins tho, my washer takes about 1 1/2 hrs.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get a washboard and mangle and roll your sleeves up woman 🙄 or each time you have a bath chuck your washing in with you 😀 Cheaper than both washing machine and laundrette, unless your hoping to meet a guy in there wearing Levi 501’s. 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Well, if it lasted ‘nearly 3 weeks’ that’s about £290 a year, or £2320 for the (to date) lifetime of out £250 washing machine…..

I’ve saved £2000!

But your not including the price of the drying and folding…

I hate laundry, there should be a washing/drying/folding/putting away machine that doesn’t complain when I bring muddy mtb gear into the house.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ha Haaaaa!

Now I know who’s washing CG is doing!

🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just buy a washing machine innit!

Can’t afford one? I’ll swap you mine for your Ibis/Litespeed….

cinnamon_girl

Gimme the guy in the 501’s. 8)

PP – oh yeah? 🙂

Elf – no way will I part with my Litespeed!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – oh yeah?

Yup.

**smugness overload**

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s ok. The Ibis will do.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Laundry – cost of using washing machine/launderette? Sorry!’ is closed to new replies.