Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Leading beginners round Calderdale – route advice please!
  • RustySpanner

Am taking another group of beginners from our climbing club for a spin round Calderdale in couple of weeks.

Last time I did it, the route was Heptonstall, Edge Lane, Gorple, Widdop, Walshaw, Hardcastle Craggs, lunch in Hebden then up to Horsfold, London Road, canal to Hebden then up Colden Clough and back to Heptonstall.

Everyone enjoyed the ride (even the girl who turned up on the singlespeed 'crosser!) and none of the beginners were too intimidated by the relatively easy terrain.

Been trying to plan a different route, but everything I come up with seems to have a few bits that might seriously intimidate newer riders.

Anyone got any suggestions for an alternative 20 odd mile route round the valley suitable for complete beginners? Fitness shouldn't be a problem, just having difficulties trying to work out something without too much techie stuff.

Thanks in advance.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This is actually tougher than I thought Rusty as most of my riding around there is trying to fit as much madness into about 10 miles of riding!

I can scribble on a map if you like but I'd look at something like Hardcastle Craggs > BW up to the House of Sh*t > across the tops towards Widdop > farm track to the road up to Widdop > down across the dam at Lower Gorple > BW climb to Egypt > farm track/BW to Blackshawhead > BW descent from here into the valley floor > up Jack Bridge climb > road to Slack > BW zig zag descent back into Ragley Wood > steep tarmac lane climb back to Heptonstall > finish on the Blue Pig descent from Heptonstall back to Hardcastle Craggs.

No idea on the length of that but looking at it, it sounds pretty decent for a beginner ride.

RustySpanner

Cheers Dave, much appreciated.

Not as easy as you'd think is it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Leading beginners round Calderdale – route advice please!’ is closed to new replies.