Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Lee Quarry and MX riders- your thoughts?
  • hora
    Free Member

So, I watched three MX riders there this afternoon (one of which was actually quite talented the other two were basically pap).

Then one decided to ride up a black run staircase at speed that I had painfully comedown not so long before. It starts with a trials-like rock obstacle then curves round on itself.

Crackers. Utterly so. Thing is – there is **** all one can do isn't there? Thats a serious accident waiting to happen with no way of identifying the mx rider.

I dont want to bash MX riders- I actually think it looks fun but not on cycle trails. Thats a recipe for disaster.

gusamc
    Free Member

So, I watched three bike riders there this afternoon (one of which was actually quite talented the other two were basically pap).

Then one decided to go down a tricky descent at speed that I had painfully gone up not so long before. It starts with a trials-like rock obstacle then curves round on itself.

Crackers. Utterly so. Thing is – there is **** all one can do isn't there? Thats a serious accident waiting to happen with no way of identifying the bike rider.

I dont want to bash mountain bike riders- I actually think it looks fun but not on country trails used by walkers. Thats a recipe for disaster.

Maybe if tke mxers got free, custom built areas to play at it would be less of a problem.

hora
    Free Member

Aye -cant they have the central bit with the cyclists round around and then criss crossing through? Some lovely loose banks to climb, Rocks for trials etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe if tke mxers got free, custom built areas to play at it would be less of a problem.

Firstly , your spelling is worse than mine, congratulations.

Secondly, when was the last time you saw a cyclist on an MX track?

By default MX is the more expensive hobby, pistons and rings last about as long a superstar bottom bracket. They do hundreds of times more erosion (erosion is proportional to power * weight), ergo their facilities are either built to withstand erosion (supermotard racing), or more commonly use it as a feature (motocross/supercross).

So no MX'ers don't have the free facilities MTBers do (arguably Swinley isn't free, and others charge for parking) but equally, mountain biking costs peanuts in comparison bot to get involved in and to build and run facilities. Thus attracts a different market. Can you imagine as many families getting into mountain biking if they had to shell out what they would for MX?

rOcKeTdOg

is it dedicated cycle trail with no access to MX bikes or a free for all to use area?
    if the former complain, if the latter you just gotta suck it up

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

The former, I believe!!

rOcKeTdOg

website suggests otherwise
    Use of the trails is free and they are always open. All we ask is that you respect other users, whether they're on Mountain Bikes or not!

http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/LeeQuarry.aspx

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Still think MX are not allowed as motorised vehicles…
    …maybe. Am sure someone who really knows the answer will post 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – any need to be so harsh on gusamc? One typo and you castigate him for his spelling. Chill out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Use of the trails is free and they are always open. All we ask is that you respect other users, whether they're on Mountain Bikes or not!

Site also only mentions walkers and cyclists, no mention of MXers, 4×4's, hovercraft's or tanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – any need to be so harsh on gusamc? One typo and you castigate him for his spelling. Chill out.

Steeling my title as STW's worst speller! I'm rightfully annoyed!

p.s. spot the deliberate 'typo' in my original post.

el_diablo
    Free Member

I think the big clue might be at the top of the linked page

'Lee Quarry Mountain Bike Centre'

and the fact there's a big **** of gate with 1 foot high blocks at the base to try and stop anything you can't lift over them coming in.

hora
    Free Member

and the fact there's a big **** of gate with 1 foot high blocks at the base to try and stop anything you can't lift over them coming in.

I don't think they are coming in that way- probably over the moors/parked a few miles away as well incase anyone comes to have a word.

firestarter
    Free Member

You should have punched him in the face. As there was a few of them they would obviously have just left it at that and ridden off 🙂

hora
    Free Member

firestarter, if I didnt have respect for MX'ing or obviously one was quite a talented rider to watch I would have said something. Couldnt be assed. I decided I wouldnt ride up there often. I'd rather it wasnt me facing someone at a motorbike at speed heading towards me on a black run. No thanks.

I cant see any enforcement pratical or working so its pointless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Call police next time, take pictures and report.

ph0010421
    Free Member

IMO, MXers shouldn't be there.
    The woman with three staffys yesterday wandering up the final downhill section shouldn't have been there, either… 🙄

hora
    Free Member

take pictures

Of what? You can't identify them. Thats why I say its pointless. They arent daft. No reg plates plus they arent going to unload a transit at the bottom of the trail where the mountain bikers are then ride up and into the quarry!

rOcKeTdOg

I dunno about gates, I've never been, just going on what the website says, I recon hovercrafts would be awesome fun though

firestarter
    Free Member

it was in jest mark 🙂

hora
    Free Member

it was in jest mark

sniff! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of what? You can't identify them.

A picture of them in the act may be useful if they are spotted again, The bike can be identified (Make/Model etc) and the Helmet in combination may be enough for the police to look out for.
    I think the police can confiscate & destroy bikes ridden under Antisocial behaviour rules.

The moors round there are completely f'ked from MX bikes there is no need to trash a dedicated mtb area.

If they want a playground maybe they should get access to another quarry and build something.

Andituk
    Free Member

MX bikes are definetly banned. I think there's a number on the information boards that you can call and report anything like that on.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

please report, (to police and council) the quarry is not open for MXer's other than the classic moto trials groups who use the quarry with the permission of the landowner

the pictures are helpful but not essential

Tonyl who posts on here is the Lancs CC person responsible for the quarry

there is are a number of other venues in the area (Cowm and Hapton for example) for MXer's

you know when a "raid" is due as they put up the sign's stating MXers are banned and will be confiscated. It is usually trggered by a number of reports

firestarter
    Free Member

mark i was having a little joke about the other thread and the punch lol

hora
    Free Member

I know!

Blower
    Free Member

ph0010421 – Member
    IMO, MXers shouldn't be there.
    The woman with three staffys yesterday wandering up the final downhill section shouldn't have been there, either…

why staffies,why not just say 3 dogs?

firestarter
    Free Member

🙂 hows the on one goin

philfive
    Free Member

hora i was up there from 1 this afternoon and saw them too, there where also a group of about 8 that did the whole red route. the group of 3 your on about where riding the pump track and all of the trails, i said something but they just ignored me 🙁 they can happily use all the other bits of the quarry but should stay off the trails. on another note i cam down the black route to the stone desent from the quarry face only to nearly hit a runner coming up!!!!!!!!

rangerbill

No they are not allowed there.
    You can ring the crimestoppers number or local police and complain. BUT make sure you ask for a log number. Take a picture if you can as MX riders will usually ride in the same kit.
    If you dont ring the police then there isnt a problem and the trails will be wrecked before they are open.
    If you do speak to them (thats up to you), politely tell them they are not allowed here and they should try Cowm leisure which is just round the corner and is aimed at 4×4 and MX

Crimestoppers – 0800 555 111

Cowm leisure http://www.cowmleisure.com/

Even though they are riding illegally there bikes STILL need to have valid tax mot and insurance….which means a number plate, proper lights etc. You can only ride a 'field bike' on your own land.

Hope that helps

knott4me
    Free Member

what a bunch of knob heads.ive had a runner ut not a mx co9me my way at lee quarry.going next weekend armed with a stinger.

singlespeedstu

which means a number plate, proper lights etc

Get your facts right. There is no legal requirement for lights on a bike. 🙄

philfive
    Free Member

must admit i liked the new stuff but where was the new slab? the trails in the middle are a little confusing.

ph0010421
    Free Member

Blower – Member
    why staffies,why not just say 3 dogs?

What's your point?

As I say – three staffies. The woman was blond, too.

hora
    Free Member

philfive circa 20mins after that bloke/female just missed you the MX'er went up the sameway at speed. I don't think he would have jumped out of the way if he came across a cyclist at the speed he hit it at to clear/grip. Plus he had no spotter at the top to spot/stop anyone entering the run (not that he cared).

I saw a cop program on Freeview tonight- bad 4×4 offroaders on Brecon and I do remember two loads of Rangers coming down just before I set off up.

Actually I think I will ride there again and I'll be abit more proactive (after work during the week this week).

Philfive was you on a white/silver bike/black top? I saw you go down and I had to wait for the male/female (VERY slow) runners to get right up before I could start!

hora
    Free Member

Does http://www.cowmleisure.com/ cost money to use? (or it must do?!)

hows the on one goin

fine 😀

i said something but they just ignored me

Although I sat and watched them: I reckon they were mid-teens and one mid-30's. Abit simple looking (and thats an honest assesment- their open faced helmets/no goggles showed simple clean but very working class complexions). Are you sure MX is an expensive hobby? They looked bloody thick to me*.

*I swear on my Mothers life on this particular bit. No **** about.

Edit: Rangerbill- whats to stop you just dialling 999 legitimately then or is it because you are on private land?

BadlyWiredDog

their open faced helmets/no goggles showed simple clean but very working class complexions

That's the great thing with the working class these days, the message about exfoliating, cleansing and moisturising is finally getting through. It really does make me optimistic :-/

philfive
    Free Member

Philfive was you on a white/silver bike/black top?

yeah it was white, you must of been the guy on the green hardtail?

when i was in the middlebits one of them nearly fell off and rolled down the hill 😛

hora
    Free Member

Silver full sus/Brit army jacket. I saw him – he tried climbing the lose bit and got it wrong. Like I said before- no problem with that- I have respect for opening it up and going at a steep (and lose) climb like that. Then it got to them riding on the mountain bike trails- I couldnt get my head round that. They had everything else to go at yet chose thin trails to rip up. Dickheads.

philfive
    Free Member

you went back up the climb as i decided to go home, about 6 more people came up to ride then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry and MX riders- your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.