Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lesson For Today
  • robgarrioch

I HATE descending on slick rocks. Despite previous experience, still managed to have a proper off on the final descent section near the end of Innerleithen today, until which things had gone really well; climbing over wet rocks; easy. Descent from the moor; very happy. Surprise rocky down-side of one big hump and…

I've devised a personal mantra when going to trail centres; "when rocks are slick, don't be a p***k" (having trouble getting that through this thick skull). Oh well, a lesson lived etc 🙄

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ouch.

Was that on a jumpy bit or was that on a rocky bit you are meant to ride down?

I shall learn your lesson as probably riding AE tomorrow, or if it is still wet like today will go to Mabie instead.

thomthumb
    Free Member

tyre pressure too high?

robgarrioch

You probably wont remember it Simon – I've traversed it before with no probs; it's on the main XC route, the other side of a hump you ride up & over, with an escape route to the left – wish I'd bloody taken that, then I'd be revelling in the lovely warm glow that comes after a well spent ride. Hope you get a decent time in tomorrow.

Tyre pressures..? Dunno, didn't have problems anywhere else, which included the black section, which did involve more than a few dabs on my part.. Front just seemed to tuck under as rolling down the rock face, I'm sure my body positioning contributed, or something. Will now consider the Mountain Kings as 'cautious' in the damp. Had 3 laps of Lee Quarry 2 Saturdays ago in lashing rain with no real probs either. Anyway, look forward to conquering it on the next visit – a set of Trail Rakers on the way for the coming months.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends on the rock-type.

Wet Mendip/dales limestone = glass
    Wet CyB metamorphic = limpet (good job too as it's always raining there)

Oh and MKs suck IMO.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Source of issue – Mountain Kings, get some proper grippy tyres if you're riding slippy rock.

robgarrioch

I've had no probs with the MKs till now, + the brown sidewalls of the protection models suit the Pitch lovely. If it's not dry though, there are issues – thought black chilli was THE grip-giver.
    Should qualify the above a little – this was a s/track slope that had large stones set into it, not bedrock. Should've taken a photo of the angular edges… Won't affect my enthusiasm for Inners in the slightest (unless it's raining!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lesson For Today’ is closed to new replies.