Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Let's build a shed….
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Having finished the building the house, Im now allowed to build my bike shed (and wine store and wood store).

Starting Friday afternoon with this

and this

Got here by saturday afternoon with a boozy lunch

And made the trusses and purlins today, fitting them just as it was getting dark:

Might board the roof tomorrow with some WBPly and start on the log store on the side.

Then a bit of a break as my sawmill guy is on holiday so I cant get my hands on the cladding material for a few weeks.

Pointers, interior design suggestions and insults below, and bonus points if anyone can get me a date with Sarah Beeney.

nickc

trusses and purlins

snort, guffaw etc etc

DT78
    Free Member

So jealous…

My man shed is but a fantasy, but one thing I’d quite like is a ‘secret’ section with a sliding wall, just big enough to store a bike or two hung on the wall.

Mainly in case the scrots get in they are unlikely to get the best bikes, but also added bonuses of making me feel like batman and being able to stash new purchases from the wife 🙂

How much are you estimating all the materials are costing you (for what dimensions)?

Stoner
    Free Member

How much are you estimating all the materials are costing you (for what dimensions)?

no idea.

I get a hefty discount on my builders merchant account so timber comes out quite cheap for me.

I think I pay about 60p a metre for 3×2.

Wont really know ’till the monthly statement from the merchants comes in, but when Ive finished Ill put up a post it you like.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is there any reason why you din’t use more of that concrete slab area?

Looks quite nice that.

Sarah Beeney’s pregnant at the moment, I think…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sarah Beeney’s pregnant at the moment, I think…

Sorry about that…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think I pay about 60p a metre for 3×2.

😯

Get me some please. I’ll give you 80p a metre.

WCA please don’t get TV presenters pregnant.

geoffj

Looking good that Stoner. Any pics of the Stoner towers build?

Blower
    Free Member

you got planning permission 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

The rest of the slab is for the wood store.

I need a covered area to be able to dry store up to 2 tonnes of wood pellets for the boiler and a couple of cubic metres of logs for the stove/second boiler.

geoff – Im afraid I havent gone round with the camera yet. Ive just got another days grouting to do then I’ll borrow a mates wide angle lens for some pics in a few weeks.

here’s just one for a mate who made the wall shelving to my design:

and a view of the stairs/gallery

and a dark one of the kitchen/day room before Id fitted the last few windows, so its a bit dark.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice shed/house skills

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Forget Beeny; it’s Kevin McCloud you want!

Love that bridge.

miketually
    Free Member

That’s ace. I’ll need to do something similar to our tack room and stable as some point as the existing timber upper (with asbestos roof) is rotten. The concrete slab and brick lower wall can stay, and I’ll just rebuild the top half.

The house is okay too, I suppose 😉 Is Uncle Kevin coming round to impregnate your missus see your Grand Design?

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers.

Everyone was saying “grand designs” to me during the build but since we were on budget, on schedule, and didnt make it out of swallow spit and stainless steel I presumed Kevin wouldnt have been interested 😉

this is the bridge across to the office.
    Its now got proper office furniture in etc. but as I said, Ill do some proper pics in a week or so and then get them up.

nickc

Maps front and centre… 😉

We need to go walking soon

langy
    Free Member

Beautiful.

Take it the rest of the slab will be covered for the wood, right? Can see the bike stand being moved out on to that in the summer when the wood stock is lower and the evening is warm… primo!

surfer
    Free Member

Very nice Stoner, top notch.

Anthony
    Free Member

The purlins all run through at the same height as the trusses, have you halp-lapped them in?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep – all truss/purlins half lapped as the roof is going to be WBP boarded, not lathed.

Maps front and centre.

Oh yeah.

I went for a bivvy walk in the black mountains the other day. Picked the wettest weekend for a year to do it mind 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Those crates which I assume carried the stone flags are possibley the hardest wood known to man, you need a chainsaw to cut them buggers up, grim as !

titusrider
    Free Member

You get your man badge from james may 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

KKF – nearly…
    Those crates were for the lime mortar which comes in an airtight plastic ton bag. We used it for pointing and repairing the original outer skin of the barn.

The flags came in these crates:

which Im using in the garage as materials storage.

The two crates on the slab, I’m going to modify and stack so that I can use them as log bins.

Stoner
    Free Member

Slower day today – the wood store end of the slab is a funny shape and the posts needed anchoring.

Roofing next week and Ill order the cladding. Since the cladding may take a bit of time to turn up but the insulation and ply lining is on its way on monday I may build it inside out 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Looks great. I made a similar construction many years ago for an office and log store. Enjoyed doing it much more than the day job.

Stoner
    Free Member

Enjoyed doing it much more than the day job.

Ive had a fantastic year where Ive been able to all this stuff as well as the day job.

Has to come to an end eventually though 🙁

takisawa2

All those beams.
    Just crying out to have bikes hung from them. 🙂

Lovely job Stoner. Lovely job.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just a thought, but you are aware that there is a popular festival at the end of this week, which involves the use of incendiary devices, aren’t you? Maybe take precautions against the possibility of your lovely creation being undone by an errant firework?

You wouldn’t have to worry if you lived round here though; all the wood would’ve been chored to make a bonfire anyway. 😆

tollah
    Free Member

When did you move house?

Stoner
    Free Member

Sheldon – We moved in in September (Sold the house on the hill and the purchasers wanted in before term time – a bit early for my plans, but only by a few weeks. We survived.)
    We’re down near the Gullet now so you’re welcome to drop in when you’re in the neighbourhood. BTW how are you two, the job and the dogs?

Way ahead of you Taki. This is my old shed, the new one will be moreso 😉

Bunnyhop

Stoner – your home is stunning. However you do need curtains 😉 House, not shed.

Our house is finally finished after 3.5 years. Got the last room finished at 11.00 p.m Wednesday night. I went to bed a very happy woman.

Just the wood store to build now. I will show hubby your pictures and maybe he’ll get some inspiration.

What have you done with the paddock btw?

Stoner
    Free Member

However you do need curtain

What on earth for? 🙂
    There’s no bugger around to look in!

Anyway, on one side of the large glazed area the blinds are integrated into the double glazing units to manage solar gain/privacy.

What have you done with the paddock btw?

procrastinated.
    Will deal with it next year when I have the energy. Till then it’s a scruffy field with pallets in it.

miketually
    Free Member

We’ve almost finished out kitchen (apart from the flooring and door) and it’s lovely. Finishing a whole house done as you want it must be ace.

We’ve been in here 54 weeks and have (had) done a new boiler; new rads; new external doors; 2 new windows; full rewire; new kitchen; had a double doorway blocked up and opened up old doorway; put in a new internal wall; had some work done on the roof and chimney; and made a start on taming the garden.

Doing a whole barn conversion must be exhausting. Looking forward to pics.

Stoner
    Free Member

mike – was your kitchen the one in the photo with the exposed joists and plumbing? big open plan thing? Looked like great space, Got any finished pics?

clunker

your shed is better built than my house!, looking forward to the updates.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Great project! Great house!

My dream is to do what you have done/are doing there. If only I had room for a bike shed!

My day comprised of buying 12Sqm of cheap laminate flooring and laying it in my tired old conservatory. Project total £52!

Please make sure we get more pics and a running commentary.

Stoner
    Free Member

My day comprised of buying 12Sqm of cheap laminate flooring and laying it in my tired old conservatory. Project total £52!

from small acorns grow mighty oak laminate floors.

will put some more pics up next week then. cheers SB/clunker.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stoner, thats Nice with a capital ‘N’.
    Mind you, if you ever start trolling, now we know.

miketually
    Free Member

mike – was your kitchen the one in the photo with the exposed joists and plumbing? big open plan thing? Looked like great space, Got any finished pics?

No, mine was built in the ’70s and didn’t include a single straight line. It’s 30-odd feet long and tapers from 10 feet at one end to 6 feet at the other, with both walls curving. The joiner had to take 40mm off one end of a 3.2m kickboard when making the plinth, because the floor has a bit of a slope on it too 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

a bit of a slope

AKA a drunkards challenge?

Blower
    Free Member

i like the old shed too!

arent sheds great..just put new roof on mine last week.,2 shed’s in the garden now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Let's build a shed….’ is closed to new replies.