Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Lighterlater (lighter evenings campaign) vote this friday – lobby your mp
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been covered lately, but if you like the idea of an extra hour of evening light year round (so more time after work for a nice long ride through the summer) then get onto the http://www.lighterlater.org/ website and send an e-mail to your MP to try to get them to vote for the bill this Friday. Otherwise the bill will sink without trace.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Did I just give this a crap title? Doesn’t anyone like the idea of an hour’s more riding time on summer evenings?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

maybe, or it could be that we’re all in the grip of an apathy related to our lack of exposure to daylight – who knows?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

or maybe we prefer what we have now.

Very south east centric. The further north and west you go the less sense this makes – dawn at 10am anyone?

This crops up every year or two and its always the same.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where I live, I don’t see that there would be any benefits.

scaredypants

I don’t need longer summer evenings, just longer autumn & winter ones. I’d favour BST all year round (or even an advance in autumn)

ourmaninthenorth

Er, there isn’t an “extra” hour’s light. There’s the same amount in each 24 hour period – whether people in London want to load it to the beginning or the end of the day seems to have very little thought for anyone else.

Accept that we live in Northern Europe – summer days are “long”, winter days are “short”. Make transport, etc. decisions accordingly.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

How very odd – seems like a no-brainer to me. Shift an hour of daylight in the morning (from when most people are asleep) and add it onto the end of the day instead (to when they are awake).

I know that your days are only around 7 hours of daylight in Scotland in the middle of winter, but given that, I don’t see how it would have a detrimental impact there (it would still be dark both morning and evening), whereas it definitely would have a very beneficial impact for anyone who likes doing sport after work for most of the UK (which is where most of us live).

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

BTW – I don’t live “in London”

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Scaredypants – this proposal is for a year round adjustment, so autumn and winter would be covered.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And to many of us the proposal is totally stupid.

This way we have less dark mornings for longer and that makes a huge difference. I think the timings of the hour change could be altered however moving everything an hour forward would give us much darker mornings without any evening gain ( as it still would be dark in the evening rush hour)

How would you like it not to be light until gone 10 am?

I lived in Glasgow during the 70s experiment with this and it was universally hated.

Solo
    Free Member

I hate the suggestion. Quite tired of people keep suggesting it, without, it seems, a true appreciation of what impact it would have on people living up North.

Children going to school in darkness is just one example.

Such suggestions grate on me as they are purely lifestyle driven.
    hour’s more riding time on summer evenings?

I prefer to keep things as they are. Not all the ideas people had in the past, are bad ones or need messing with.

I lived in Glasgow during the 70s experiment with this and it was universally hated.

See ?
    😉

scaredypants

rightplacerighttime – Member
    Scaredypants – this proposal is for a year round adjustment, so autumn and winter would be covered

I know, though I’d prefer it not to include summer

I lived in Glasgow during the 70s experiment with this and it was universally hated

Well, if it’s going to be dark til gone 9 for your journey to work under current arrangements, you’re just saying no to spite the rest of us, aren’t you 😉
    “Safety”-wise, didn’t the accident reports during that exp show greatest gains for N England and S Scotland rather than London TJ ?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’m cool with dark mornings (I’d be at work anyway), so despite living in scotcheggland I’d like it to be light in the evening for another hour so I can do stuff I enjoy.

higgo
    Free Member

How do I vote against this daft proposal?

Macavity
    Free Member

“How very odd – seems like a no-brainer to me.”
    no-brainer possibly has different meanings to different people, but usually means a someone with no brain’s idea.

uplink
    Free Member

Shift an hour of daylight in the morning (from when most people are asleep

It’s light by 8am in most of the UK in the middle of Winter – I think you’ll find most people aren’t asleep

You’re a student, right?

si-wilson
    Free Member

dawn at 10am anyone?

Is it really dawn at 9am now in most of the north? Or just a few very isolated north western parts?

nickc

dawn at 10am anyone?

I’ve just googled sunrise time for Edinburgh and it says 08.19 and sets at 15.44, so under lighterlater that would be 09.19 and 16.44.

Doesn’t sound that bad to me?

And conversely for June it would be 05.27 and setting at 23.03 (under lighterlater)

which also to my mind doesn’t sound too bad either.

Saviola
    Free Member

Saw this on the news some ‘expert’ explained how it would be so beneficial to us all.

The fact is we have roughly 8hrs daylight in UK at this time of the year so no matter what if you work 9-5 you won’t see any of it 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’m not a student. Actually at 8 I’m getting my kids out of the house onto their bikes to ride to school with them.

Andituk
    Free Member

They tried it in Portugal and it was an utter failure apparently. Try getting your kids to sleep when its still daylight at 11pm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickc – so at teh moment itsw lightish in morning rushour and dark at evening. Under lighter later it would be dark for both. Thats supposed to be an advantage>

there is still some time to shortest night as well.

This way its lightish for morning rush hour the whole winter and dark for evening. Under lighter later it would be dark for both.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

higgo, you could e-mail your MP via this website – it’s the same mechanism that Lighter Later are using via their website to encourage people to ask their MPs to support it.

It would probably be more persuasive if you could come up with a good reason not to vote for it though.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m not a student. Actually at 8 I’m getting my kids out of the house onto their bikes to ride to school with them.

& you rather it was dark then?

Not a student? Southerner then

thomthumb
    Free Member

i just don’t see the argument that a dark commute in the morning is loads better then a dark one in the evening.

maybe i’ve missed the point?

scaredypants

Found the followign (can we trust RoSPA?)
    Relates to 1968-71 “experiment” – obviously potentially other confounders (apparently breathalysers came into common use then) but even so, …

(number of deaths/serious inj saved, and % change by region)
    England
    South East
    South West
    Central
    Northern
    Wales
    About 25
    Scotland
    Southern
    About 25
    Central
    North East
    Northern
    Small increase – less than 20
    +9
    Total Great Britain

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scardypants – they had to revisit those figures when people pointed out there was major changed to driving laws around that time – drink drive or seatbelts – can’t remember which. After taking that into account the numbers were far less convincing

Tomthumb – here it would be both commutes in the dark under lighter later not just one – so it would be worse

scaredypants

A 1998 report, commissioned by the Government to resolve the arguments 😉 about the likely effects of SDST, used two different methodologies to predict whether there would be casualty savings by switching to SDST.4 It concluded that there would indeed be casualty savings and stated:
    • Overall, there would be around 450 fewer deaths and serious injuries, including between 104 to 138 fewer deaths (depending on which methodology is used).
    • In Scotland, the casualty reductions would be slightly lower, proportionately, than for Great Britain as a whole. Nevertheless, it was estimated that SDST would result in 41 fewer deaths and serious injuries and 57 fewer casualties in total. (The smaller numbers in the Scottish data reduced the reliability of the estimate).
    • The effects of darkness were found to be greater for pedestrians than for vehicle occupants, in both Winter and Summer
    • The effects were found to be greater for fatalities than for non-fatal casualties.

votchy
    Free Member

7pm start for mid week rides is a 7pm start, wkether it is light or dark is irrelevant, say NO to change 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

forget about what this will do to daylight hours in winter – it’s dark all the time anyway.

it’s winter.

forget about what this will do to daylight hours in summer – it’s light all the time anyway.

it’s summer.

this will make a nice difference to spring/autumn, when we all get sent home to bed at 7pm because it’s dark, but woken up at 5am because it’s light.

lighterlater would mean an extra hour out playing in spring/autumn, and an extra hour asleep in the morning.

it’s a brilliant idea.

ahwiles
    Free Member

cue someone complaining how ‘lighterlater’ will mean that it gets dark in winter…

any minute now…

RepacK
    Free Member

or maybe we prefer what we have now.

Very south east centric. The further north and west you go the less sense this makes – dawn at 10am anyone?

This crops up every year or two and its always the same.

&

And to many of us the proposal is totally stupid.

This way we have less dark mornings for longer and that makes a huge difference. I think the timings of the hour change could be altered however moving everything an hour forward would give us much darker mornings without any evening gain ( as it still would be dark in the evening rush hour)

Your POV is very much based on where you live in the country – why should it carry more weight than someone who lives somewhere else? Put it to the vote I say, let a little bit of democracy cloud the issue.. 😉

Andy

Sorry quite happy with the arrangements. With GMT meaning an hour extra of daylight in the morning it means that I can still walk the dog in the mornings at 7am, so this suits me. Without GMT I would be travelling to and from work in darkness. At least now I see some daylight in the mornings

lovewookie

At the moment the arrangement works well for me.

I get to bike with my daughter to school in daylight, she gets picked up at 3, when it’s light. Changing this would make no difference to how much daylight I see pass by the office window.

ourmaninthenorth

Put it to the vote I say, let a little bit of democracy cloud the issue..

Hold on, this isn’t Switzerland, you know..!

j_me
    Free Member

How about a compromise: don’t put the clocks back in autumn, but still put them forward in spring.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, I’m in the South East and I think it’s a BARMY IDEA! Mainly becasue I leave the house at 6.30 am every day, and the sooner it gets light, the better I think 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

& you rather it was dark then?

Not a student? Southerner then

I’d rather it was light. BUT, on balance, I’ll put up with taking them in slightly less light in the mornings if it means we get more light in the evenings from May ’till Sept for having fun.

fbk
    Free Member

Sorry – stupid idea. I don’t want it any darker than it already is when I leave for work. I look forward to the clocks going back in the Autumn so I don’t leave for work in the dark and get home from work in the dark!

And I’m in central Britain. So Ner!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Lighterlater (lighter evenings campaign) vote this friday – lobby your mp’ is closed to new replies.