Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Like the C2C, but not the C2C – any ideas?
  • rnagain
    Free Member

Hi.
    I did the offroad C2C from St Bees to Robin Hood's bay a couple of years ago with a a few friends. Had a brilliant time all round so I'm looking for something similar to do later this year.

Can anyone recommend some good multi-day routes? Ideally with a bit of adventure thrown in.

On the C2C we travelled very light and did it in 4 days, staying in Youth Hostels. But would be up for other options that involve light camping or even maybe a bit of bivvying.

Many thanks.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Welsh Ride Thing at the end of May … 3 days riding, 2 nights under the stars and it's all for a good cause. If you (or anyone) would like some details email stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk and I'll send some over.

Entry cut off is end of March.

Cheers
    Stuart

orena45

A Scottish off-road C2C? That's what we did last year having done the English C2C off-road the previous year.

Chew
    Free Member

Theres also the Welsh C2C as well. Similar distance to the St. Bees one.

chakaping
    Free Member

West Highland Way?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

South Downs way

If your brave/cheeky the cornish costal path?

ebygomm
    Free Member
    rnagain
    Free Member

Thanks all – looks like there are plenty of options.
    South Downs is my local haunt, and doing the 1 day BHF event nearly finished me off a few years back.

Welsh Ride Thing sounds like fun. Stuart, I'll email you for details.

Orena45 – how many days is the Scottish c2c? Is there an established or favoured route? I guess it is a fair bit longer than the english or Welsh one.

Cheers

samuri
    Free Member

Trans Pennine trail. Mind you, it's only 180 miles so it's hardly a multi-dayer.

anotherstan
    Free Member

still s8tannorm ygm

mick_r

We did the more southerly Walney to Wear route – but spiced it up a bit with off road add-on over first day.

Barrow to Penny Bridge on regular W2W route. Then up to Nibthwaite at bottom of Coniston. Climb into Grizedale Forest (bits of BW and North Face Trail), pop out at near Tarn Hows, few more BWs to Loughrigg. Over Loughrigg into Ambleside, then over Jenkin Crag and Garburn Pass to Kendal. Sleep and eat.

Guess you could add more off road on the next day.

orena45

rnagain – we did our Scottish C2C over 5 days, I don't there is a particular established route but ours was around 220 miles off the top of my head. I did it with Stevethebarbarian off here who planned it following some advice from the STW massive.

The route was:

Day 1 – Stonehaven to Braemar – 60 miles. This included the plan of riding to the top of Mount Keen which is the highest Munro you can legally cycle over. By the time we all got there, it was getting on so we missed it out…except for Stevethebarbarian who, still recovering from a broken collarbone, decided to do it on his own! No GPS log of Day 1 unfortunatley.

Day 2 – Braemar – Kingussie – 34 miles. Day 2 GPS log

Day 3 – Kingussie – Fort Augustus – 34 miles. Day 3 GPS Log

Day 4 – Fort Augustus – Cannich – 36 miles. Day 4 GPS log

Day 5 – Cannich – Dornie – 37 miles. Original plan was for us all to finish the C2C at Kyle of Lochalsh, but as our hotel was at Dornie, when we got there we were too knackered to carry on and come back so we finished there (however me and one other bloke did carry on to KoL the next day so we could say we did it!) Day 5 GPS log

It was a good few days riding with some amazing scenery to be seen! Here's some photos 🙂

uplink
    Free Member
    rnagain
    Free Member

Great – Thanks very much for the route details, Orena45! I am really tempted by this.

Some great pics too – it looks like a fantastic and very scenic ride, and sounds like it's certainly long/hard enough to be a bit of a challenge too.

Those late in the day route choices sound familiar – had to admit defeat and miss out going over Grisedale to Glenriding at dusk during the C2C, having got a bit lost and very tired on the top of Greenup Edge in driving rain earlier in the day.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Like the C2C, but not the C2C – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.