• This topic has 43 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Locks for London? Advice gratefully received
  • RRD
    Free Member

Work has brought me to London town and I plan to commute.

I’m after lock advice – any suggestions (I’ve heard more than 1 type as thieves usually don’t carry the tools to break more than 1 type?)

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, use two.

My tip is an Abus Granit as the main lock clicky, then a cable for your front wheel (Krypto cable would be my tip)

Then, just make sure you choose where you lock with care.

Welcome to the Smoke! You’re going to love it here!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

As Flashy suggests, Abus Granit/Kryptonite New York as main lock, with cable for front wheel. Replace QRs with those 5-sided allen key skewers most bike shops do.

Oh, and if you really want to find your bike still there when you come back to it, then make sure it’s a tatty looking old hack bike that you won’t be too upset over if it does get nicked. The scabbier the better.

Try to look for busy places with CCTV about, rather than some secluded alley way. All the usual common sense stuff I spose.

bullheart
    Free Member

Kryptonite New York locks. Heavy, but actually the visual deterrent alone can work. And as above; cable for the front wheel/seatpost.

I use two. For my beater bike…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but your ‘beater bike’ is really quite nice, Bully… 😆

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I used a Kryptonite “new York” as a mobile lock and one of these as my permanent mooring at work.

Avoid the ratio of “the nicest bike with the weakest lock”.

bullheart
    Free Member

The PA wasn’t the beater bike. It’s now up for sale… 🙁

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Or move somewhere nice?

grantway
    Free Member

To be honest buy one that your insurers agree on
    Second waste of time has most carry Bolt croppers
    or a battery operating grinder.

What part of London you going to be living in?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What a truly helpful and enlightening piece of advice from GG. How totally unpredicted….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s true though and you know it.

😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Erm it’s not but thanks for your input anyway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When people as different as Elfin and I agree, GG, you know that you are wrong here.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Well, be in denial if you will, but the truth sometimes does hurt.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Constipated again GG?

Try more fresh fruit.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

No, I prefer Liver and onions, whilst swimming. In a Pool. 😉

RRD
    Free Member

Thanks all

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The shackle needs to be 16 mm + in cross section and the locking mechanism need to be double locking IE both ends of the shackle.

Mine is big enough to get both wheels (front off the bike)and the frame round a lamppost – cost a lot and weighs kilos.

almax have a good rep and look at motorcycle stuff as well

the Abus linked to has a decent rep as well but i would get the bigger one

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RRD, the location element of locking is really useful to keep in mind. As Elf says, CCTV is good, as is a busy place. I try and use places like taxi ranks or outside restaurants where people are sitting outside. Even sadder to say, I also try and lock up alongside more desirable bikes. 😳

Markie
    Free Member

I went for an Almax. A few videos on youtube comparing them and the others vs bolt cutters.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Best of all is to not lock it up at all. I’ve had two bikes nicked in the past few years in Manchester, one was even locked inside the building where I work. One of them was a crappy Decathlon bike I found in the cellar of the house I moved into, and must have been worth 20p.

Is there anywhere secure at work (inside) that you can use?

grantway
    Free Member

New one in London is bike jacking
    IE knock you off the bike and taking it.

huws
    Free Member

Theres some useful info here

get a cuppa first though as it’s 27 pages long. 🙂

pinches
    Free Member

i use an Abus Futura Mini on my roadie, with a pitlock skewer on the front wheel

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

New one in London is bike jacking
    IE knock you off the bike and taking it.

Not that new; first robbery attempt I experienced was about 20 years ago. Increasing number of incidents however. Be mindful of riding a nice expensive bike in rough areas. Quite a bit of it happens round my way, but the local scrotes know to leave me alone. Sadly crime will always be rife in big cities, so the risks always have to be considered.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“Quite a bit of it happens round my way, but the local scrotes know to leave me alone.”

Is that because of your ‘Gerrard’ shirt you ride around in?

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No it’s cos I’m nasty and ‘orrible. 😀

tinoflyer
    Free Member

Firstly GlitterGary? Really!?

Secondly, to the topic in hand. Don’t get any advice from the police. They released their top tips a few months ago and basically they said, a) don’t buy an expensive bike, buy something cheap – apparently the best quality of bike does not make up for its attractiveness to thieves.

b) purchase two locks that equates to 30% of the bike’s value – thats right – I should have £240 worth of locks for my Cannondale Bad Boy.

A tad excessive.

The best advice I got, was buy two different locks – one of them should be a ‘gold’ standard (perhaps something around £60). I purchased a ‘silver’ standard lock as the secondary one – one D lock one chain lock.

But I am always careful as to where to park it and I have good insurance.

I am still waiting for the day it gets nicked though – so to make up for the day I lose it, I am always looking to see what I would replace it with!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Is there REALLY an increase of bike-jacking incidents?? Theres a few articles, in road.cc and in the guardian for instance, but they are both based on one press release from ETA (a bike insurance company).

I rode an old hack bike round London with a beefy lock on it for a year, left on the street outside work and at the station overnight and never had a problem. I often looked for a better bike with a worse lock to lock it next too.

This is pretty cheap for the security too…
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onguard-Brute-Shackle-Lock-111mmx202mm/dp/B0010VLO4E/

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ah, Elfin. I’m only joking mate, sorry about all that footy stuff the other day, you seem like a nice fellow really.

If you’re up in Bradford in the near future, and fancy a curry I’d be up for it. That’s not a proposition by the way. 😀 It’s just I’m moving to that area soon.

tinoflyer – I don’t possibly know what you’re on about, dear boy.

DenDennis
    Free Member

after having had two bikes nicked over the years when i lived in london i finally saw the light and decided to just get a crappy old commuter bike (covered in tape and a bit of dodgy spray paint).
    you’ll spend the same $ required to get a decent lock and then you never worry about leaving it locked up with a ‘normal’ lock- happy days. that one even survived a couple of overnight stays on the streets of islington. obviously good to not have QRs etc.
    even the toughest lock wont stop some rotters if they are that determined…..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t get any advice from the police. They released their top tips a few months ago and basically they said, a) don’t buy an expensive bike, buy something cheap – apparently the best quality of bike does not make up for its attractiveness to thieves.

This is the best advice you can get, tbh. I’d agree with that, based on 23+ years of commuting in London. If you wanna find your bike still there when you come back, then the scabbier it looks, the less attractive it is to thieves. This is common sense. If you want to leave your £1500 bike locked up in a public places, then just face the reality that it will be a target, and even if it’s not nicked it may well be stripped.

Course it’s not nice, but it’s the reality. I use a scabby old hybrid skip rescue bike, to buzz about on. If it does get nicked, I’m not crying too much cos it’s only cost me £50 or so. Actually the lock probbly cost more. 😮

Is there REALLY an increase of bike-jacking incidents??

Sadly, there have been spates of such crime in certain areas, but limited to the roughest parts of London really. Being aware of your surroundings and potential dangers can reduce risk of getting robbed, but the same with anything; iPhones, laptops etc. Stick to busy streets and avoid rough areas. Again, if your bike is scabby, then you’re far less likely to attract such attention.

Ah, Elfin. I’m only joking mate, sorry about all that footy stuff the other day, you seem like a nice fellow really.

GG; I don’t take any of it seriously, I just like a good argue now and then. 😀

Bradford you say? One of me favourite places outside London, innit? Is one most beautiful place in World….

juiced
    Free Member

in London ( West) I use 3 or 4 d locks and a cable for the wheels. D locks are rated Gold or max. Plus a cable for the saddle, and seatpost.I also use an additional large armoured cable to look menacing.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Park it underground in a secure basement like I do and then use a Kryptonite lock & cable

nickname
    Free Member

I use a Kryptonite KryptoLok plus cable – since moving to our new office we no longer have bike storage, so I have to use the public ones.

If you want to ride a blingy bike, then I’d say get it insured – it’s what, £70 a year?

If you want the best lock/chain then go for Almax. One of the few that can’t be done by croppers, but it’s probably stupid heavy, and it’s expensive.

Then again, lots of people (incl. me) keep their locks locked to the rails over night to save carrying them home.

For cycle specific locks, the Kryptonite new york is probably the bestest.

Having said all of the above, it does seem London is full of blingy bikes lately (ride to work scheme perhaps?), so the changes of getting yours nicked might be reduced 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

look for something that is about the same length as your waist so your can wear it like a belt (like the couriers!), as it is easier to carry the weight like that.

BigJohn

Locks for London? There’s a place that sells nothing but.

Camden Lock Market.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I supposse if you wrap your frame in duck tape the theif might think that is not worth the hassle to strip it all off?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Locks for London? There’s a place that sells nothing but.

Camden Lock Market.

What a stupid thing to say. 😐

Everyone knows it’s where they sell canal locks.

See?

Now don’t be so silly in future. 🙄

z1ppy

The link that normally trotted out by now…. http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

(not being sarcastic, just surprised it’s not been posted)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Locks for London? Advice gratefully received’ is closed to new replies.