Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Long distance offroad touring bike.
  • ton

if you were to build/buy a offroad touring bike, what would you buy or build.
    or what do you use now.
    and pics off your bike in nice offroad places would be greatly welcomed.

cheers 8)

RichT

Salsa vaya or fargo.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i really like the look of the surly troll – but it’ll be a long time before i can get the money for that. so instead i’ve just got an inbred (yawn) currently with the courier…

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Thorn Sterling/Nomad

singlespeedstu

Long distance you say?

These guys seem to do alright.

[video]http://vimeo.com/8579880[/video]

plumber
    Free Member

inbred

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Roberts Roughstuff

Retrodirect
    Free Member

DON’T BUY THORN.

I owned a thorn Raven, the only bike I’ve ever sold through hate, it handled horrendously. I ended up selling it right before the 3,500mile bike tour it was bought for and used my commuter bike instead (roadrat)

druidh
    Free Member

Vaya/Fargo have already been mentioned. Consider also the Kona Sutra if you want drops.

For flat bars, the Troll would be nice and flexible. I also fancy a Pugsley, with a spare set of 29er wheels…..

Having said that, my plan this year is to use the Ragley Ti I’ve just built.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roberts or Tout Terrain

Perhaps a Rob Mather if the little fella would make some.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Prob an inbred with a trip to the frame builders for a few extra brazons.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’m just putting together an Inbred 29er, at the moment I tend to use a 26″ Inbred for off road touring / bivvy trip duties. I was buying a Fargo but really wanted either slot/sliding dropouts or an EBB, so slot dropout Inbred it was.

epicyclo

ton – Member
    if you were to build/buy a offroad touring bike, what would you buy or build…

A Ti Pompino with Big Apple tyres or a Ti SIngular with road/cx geometry with BA tyres.

paul78
    Free Member

Van Dessel Whiskey Tango …

http://www.vandesselsports.com/?page_id=17

Can’t wait to see these in the UK.

Built as a 1×9 monster cross with frame bag for bikepacking 🙂

ton

mcmoonter………..nice that, but just too big.

have you ever had a bike that was perfect for you plans……….and then you sold it.
    what a numpty i am seriously.

might have to email sam again……… 😳

markenduro
    Free Member

+1 epicyclo, I have already asked them on the on-one site, don’t think they will though….

Have a kona sutra but it will only take 37mm tyres so probably ultimate off-road tourer would be something with 29er wheels and loads of rackmounts/brazeons. The Ti fargo looks good.

gazc
    Free Member

been using my C2W voodoo wanga with pretty much original spec for bivvi/camping/off road touring and it’s been great. really like the versatility of it – v brake and disc, singlespeed or geared, rack mounts, 2 bottle cage mounts etc pretty similar to the inbred for that

did st bees – robin hoods bay lightweight bivvying with bags strapped to the frame/bars and a semi off road tour of the picos with camping gear stuffed in ortleibs out back on a pannier rack and its been great for both, but would think i’d take my commuter (surly cross check) for a more road based tour

wors

You had a look at the pompetamine alfine?

trailertrash

What I wouldn’t buy is an 8′ long Puglsey like the idiots in the Riding the Spine video. Jeeeezzo.

RustySpanner

Old steel Specialized Rockhopper for me.

It was a bit big for serious techy off road stuff, but with a set of P2’s, a Blackburn rack, Brooks saddle, Ortlieb panniers and bar bag it makes a great tourer, both on and off road.

I like it very much, have had it for years and would be very sad to get rid of it.

Handles really well loaded or unloaded, it’s light for a tourer and I still use it as an MTB if my other MTB is out of action.

I nearly bought a Kona Sutra or Surly LHT last year, but couldn’t justify spending the money when the Rockhopper is so good.

Apparently, 26 inch wheels are the thing for serious tourers these days as you can get spares anywhere, but only Europe and the US has guaranteed availability of 700c stuff.
    I’ll probably never go further afield than the Isle of Wight, but it’s nice to dream. 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

have you ever had a bike that was perfect for you plans……….and then you sold it.
    what a numpty i am seriously.

I am really enjoying it though ton…! It’s currently being set-up for a 3day jaunt around the Cairngorms in May. Best bike I’ve ever ridden by far…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d use my 853 Inbred. Can’s see anything that bike can’t do, TBH, and touring would be right up it’s street I think 🙂

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Perhaps a Rob Mather if the little fella would make some.

Rob’s was still building last time I spoke to him, but he’s very selective and didn’t get back to me 🙁

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Fargo and absolutely love it. Currently running it with Big Apple 2.35’s and it just eats up everything. It’s become my ‘go to’ bike so far this year just because riding it always puts a smile on my face.

Ton, that Fargo on Ebay may fit you actually as the Fargo sizing is a bit funny. I’m taller than you and am on an XXL (24″) so the XL (22″)may well be ok. Not sure if the geometry page is still on the Salsa website as that model is now unavailable and has been replaced with a new suspension friendly Cream version.

I’d love to go proper touring on mine but can’t see me ever doing it. 🙁

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Have a kona sutra but it will only take 37mm tyres

What year is your sutra? Enough clearance for 26″ wheels with 2.1″ tyres in one of the 2010 brown ones. Better for offroad touring than 29er wheels and easier to get spares.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Surly Troll: Alfine, dynamo, front and rear racks and Big Apples. I’ll try and get some pics up later for you. I love it so far, but that might just be new bike feeling!

avdave2

DON’T BUY THORN

I’m going straight downstairs and throwing nine in the skip, I’ve only had it 5 years so not really long enough to realise it was so bad. 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Van Dessel-bit heavy at 7lbs!!! but I have found my next bike 😀

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

DON’T BUY THORN. …it handled horrendously.

It appears that handling is in the hand of the beholder. I’ve ridden mine for thousands of klicks, loaded, on and off road, and it’s been truly brilliant.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

DON’T BUY THORN

I’m going straight downstairs and throwing nine in the skip, I’ve only had it 5 years so not really long enough to realise it was so bad

I’ve had my Thorn Sherpa for about five years as well and love it. With the right tyres it’s OK off road. Its been designed for rough stuff touring and whilst it isn’t the most agile of bikes it is nice and stable and something you can ride all day with no hassle.

Thorn now do a frame called the Ripio which is a kind of touring MTB. The only problem I can see with Thorn bikes is the fact that the designer feels that disc compatible steel forks are the work of the devil so its V brake only on the front unless you buy your fork elsewhere.

Aidan
    Free Member

The Singular Swift worked out pretty well for me. Obviously, no braze-ons for racks but that won’t matter if you’re going to go with frame-bag/bar-bag/saddle-bag.

Or you could enquire about getting a custom Pegasus with fittings for a rack.

Edited for photo-inspiration:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aidan is that Wales 😉

Aidan
    Free Member

It is, but I’m not going to tell you where 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Long distance offroad touring bike.’ is closed to new replies.