Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Long Mynd must rides?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'm off to Long Mynd for the first time in a couple of weeks and will be using the route guide from issue 37 as the basis for what I'll be doing. This means I'll be heading down:
    [*]Mott's Road
    (Not sure of name but goes from c.Pole's Cottage to Little Stretton.
    Minton Batch (Which I know I *have* to do as it is The Law)
    And this (which pretty much takes me back to my bunk house)[/*]

Is there anything I should give a miss (will Mott's Road/Carding Mill be packed out with walkers midweek mid August?) or that I *must* ride? Ta.

fozzybear
    Free Member
    HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers fozzy – I've got that marked out on Memory map but, to be honest, the enthusiasm of the ST article elevated that into my preferred route 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'm planning a trip down there in the next couple of weeks, when/if it stops raining. I've got a couple of routes on Memory Map you can have, but they are in the 25/30 mile range. Mail me if you're interested.

fozzybear
    Free Member

ST article??
    did i miss one on LM?

tankslapper
    Free Member

You want to try getting over from Long Mynd and doing a circuit round east Ridge as well

Good cycling to be had in the Cardingmill Valley on Caer Caradoc etc

disco_stu
    Free Member

the flat tyres route that fozzy mentions comes recommended, i've done it a couple of times, minton batch and the final descent are both corking downhills

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

ST article??
    did i miss one on LM?

Yeah, it was in issue 37 (I keep trying to access theMag Archive but there's some kind of problem); the first paragraph starts, "Shropshire has the best riding in the UK. There, I've said it." And continues from there 🙂 I can't scan it in right now but if you fancy a copy of it then send me an email and i could get it done in a fortnight or so.

the flat tyres route that fozzy mentions comes recommended

Yeah, it looks good. I think shares a final descent with the way that I've adapted the ST one – down here which is how I'll be ending my day 🙂

on Caer Caradoc etc

I'm doing a bit round there the day before my full day on Long Mynd – just enough to stretch my legs without making the day after Hellish. Is that where you mean by the East Ridge – I don't really know the area so I'm not sure where you mean.

Mail me if you're interested.

I surely will, thanks 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'm being lazy, but has anyone got a gpx of that flattyres route? Please.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers Muddypuddle – it's a bit out of my way (I'm getting to Church Stretton by train ) but I'll be driving before the end of the year and will revisit the area once I'm on four wheels.

CM – ygm 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Cheers HW, all sorted this end.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i'd avoid any routes at the weekend that go down carding mill valley as it can be full of walkers ( its worth a go to see if you can ride up it without stopping )

scruff
    Free Member

Pole Cottage down to tarmac, then pick up stream / track to glider club climb, brigns you out at top of Minton Batch. Dont ride any footpaths early in he morning or later after the walkers have left. Especially one directly south of an Unholy tarmac climb.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, Trig point – Pole Cottage – Little Stretton is great. That decent i found very challenging when i first started out mountain biking especially near the bottom.

Also Trig point NE to Motts Rd `junction’. Take right hand fork bridleway towards cross dykes and down to Plush Hill. Drop into The Batch and into All Stretton.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd must rides?’ is closed to new replies.