Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • longest seat post competition
  • el_boufador

Out riding this week my mate commented on my genereously endowed seatpost

Seat height is set up for in pedalling in the pic.

This is as a result of being freakishly long legged and also enjoying the chuckability of a smaller frame.

Anyone better it?

dans160
    Free Member

Are you a clown?

el_boufador

yes

MrNutt
    Free Member

you need a flashing red light on that, how many people does a passenger airliner carry? there are lives currently at risk!

TooTall
    Free Member

the chuckability of a smaller frame.

One of the most overused phrases in cycling perpetuated by men who think they like a bike thats too small for them.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I don't have a pic, but my dialled alpine with GD seatpost looks pretty similar. My legs are also pretty long and since I spend more of my time messing around on jumps or downhill's with the post dropped I can put up with it looking silly on the infrequent climbs and flats. My bike looks good with the seat dropped, silly with it raised, but gates look like gates 100% of the time.

I'm only 5'11", but even my 19" commuter has a silly long seatpost.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

makes mine look ok

clubber
    Free Member

No pic but my mate who's 6'5" with very long legs had USE do him a custom post that was silly long at something like 60cm on the agreement that there was no warranty if it bent. It went on his Whyte which made it even more fugly…

messiah
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

Geewavetree have you bought Rob's bike? 😉

Bez was king of the long seatpost if i remember, found this though

from stewartpratt.co.uk

TooTall
    Free Member

My bike looks good with the seat dropped, silly with it raised

Image more important than performance shocker!

It went on his Whyte which made it even more fugly

Man forces bike that is evidently too small to 'fit' shocker!

wwaswas

you don't need a longer seatpost, just a larger frame;

Bagstard
    Free Member

TooTall – read my post again – "mostly used for jumping and DH". Function over form.

D0NK

Tootall there are some people with long legs and short (for their height) upper bodies. Agree with you on "Image more important than performance shocker!" tho, see a lot of that – not necessarily aimed at bagstard.

GeeWaveTree is that near darwen tower?

maxray
    Free Member

Surely you must all have fukt backs having to stoop to the bars like that??

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

with my new forks the bars are 20mm higher so spot on

the next size up giant is too big 🙁

DickBarton

The angle of the shot makes it look even longer but it's basically 4mm shy of the minimum insertion mark on the bike…Just arrived from shop and was the first thing I did (hence the flat pedal bits still attached).

Pretty much all my bikes have a lot of seatpost showing…I'm a lanky streak of p…

el_boufador

Frigging hell! I'm soundly beaten by Bez and Dick Barton I think.

TooTall what's your point re: small frame chuckability?
    Go and ride a big MTB. Then go and ride a BMX. The BMX will no question feel more 'chuckable' – i.e. changes direction quicker, easier to throw around, easier to hop/jump. OK this may be somewhat to do with geometry, but part of it definitely the physical size of the fame.
    For me, erring on the small side for frames is just a less extreme version of this phenomenon.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I heard Bez had ordered a custom 10" Inbred and a 600mm seatpost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Am I the only one who wants to see pics of you all actually sitting on these bikes?

therealhoops
    Free Member

That is indeed a long seat post. Quite why you had to park your bike by the local 'glory holes' is beyond me.

geoffj

Not mine

MrNutt
    Free Member

IU'm 5.10 and ride a 16 frame, with wide bars and a layback seat post, why? because its a hoot, a larger frame may be a more "correct fit" but to me a larger frame would only really feel better on long long distance XC where as I am more of a fan of hooning around in the woods and a like where a smaller size bike does seem to instill a bigger grin factor than a proper grown up seriously fitted bicycle. moo.

firestarter
    Free Member

if ever there was a case for a 36er then dicks bikes are it 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

Go and ride a big MTB. Then go and ride a BMX. The BMX will no question feel more 'chuckable' – i.e. changes direction quicker, easier to throw around, easier to hop/jump. OK this may be somewhat to do with geometry, but part of it definitely the physical size of the fame.

Yes – the difference between a MTB and a BMX are rather large – hence the choice of tool for job. However, the difference between a L and XL in a frame are so minimal on the 'chuckability' front that it can't be more than a couple of hundred grammes difference. Example – Turner 5 Spot geometry:

2010-Turner-5-spot

Those numbers are not that far apart, the contact points are going to be similmar distances apart, the wheel base will be similar. So, between a S and an XL there might be a decent difference, but there is almost nothing between L and XL.

I get 'chuckability', when it is the difference between a BMX and a MTB. I don't get it when people claim the differences up or down a frame size. The numbers aren't different enough.

Woody
    Free Member

This was a custom build for Nightfire (as he was on here) by Raoul. Don't know if he still has it but I can't imagine it fitting many others !

rootes1

i win?:

😆

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Can't compare with any of these

molgrips
    Free Member

What's with all the people with saddles pointing up in the air? You like smashing your perineal nerves to bits or something? You're meant to sit on your sit bones, not your soft delicate perineum.

gingerflash

"The BMX will no question feel more 'chuckable'"

A BMX has 20" wheels and about a 75 degree head angle.

rootes1

what size wheels on this?

binners

Dick Barton relaxes with the paper after a ride

🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

@dick barton

Maxed out seat posts and all those spacers would indicate to me that you are buying the wrong size frames.

What size are they?

gingerflash

"what size wheels on this?"

Looking at the chainset, i'd guess they were 700c, which makes the whole thing pretty scary.

Sam

"what size wheels on this?"

Looking at the chainset, i'd guess they were 700c, which makes the whole thing pretty scary.

They look like 700's, which would make the seat and top tubes somewhere over 85cm by my rough reckoning. Must be a build for someone 7' plus. A true candidate for 36" wheels…

Like these, but in a bike to fit the guy who rides the Kelly, would look pretty much proportionate.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

I bought my frame small as it was the last in the lbs and the large i "need" was online and i couldn't wait!

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone ridden a 36er?

glenh
    Free Member

Maxed out seat posts and all those spacers would indicate to me that you are buying the wrong size frames.

My bikes look a bit like that. However, I have long legs for my height, so the frame size is fine. Larger frames are too long for me.

DickBarton

Kingtut – not sure it is the wrong size – reach feels perfect (the larger frames felt very stretched out) and when standing on the floor, I've got 2" clearance between top tube and groin…but yes, they do look like they are too small – if you buy into the thought process that the stem needs to be flat against the headset…

Ridden at Laggan…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, there's some seriously FUGLY bikes on here! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘longest seat post competition’ is closed to new replies.