Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Look what just arrived! (SRAM XX/Seven Cycles content)
  • solarider
    Free Member

Picked up my new XX this afternoon and just finished fitting it. More news tomorrow after a dirty ride, but so far, so good!

Some discoveries:

1) The SRAM TT900 shifters and Pauls mounts work really well. Cheaper, lighter and more reliable than the XX shifters (you always have the friction option). Plus I love the old school look!

2) The Red front mech works really well (The Duo has to use a braze on road front mech).

3) The rear mech cable routing is a pain!

4) The front shifting is every bit as good as 'they' say. Do believe the hype. The rear is as good my old XTR, but the front is streets ahead. This is the new benchmark.

5) The cassette really is a work of art, but at that price so it should!

The last time I posted I still 'only' had 6 Sevens. Well, now the magic number seventh has arrived! My TT bike. Broke the habit of a lifetime and went with SRAM instead of Campagnolo.

And just for fun, here's the others!

Happy New Year All!

simondbarnes

That really is a (rather expensive) hideous collection of bicycles!

PJ266
    Free Member

😯

Hideous? The only two that could possibly offend is the full sus and the TT bike. The others are just standard (looking 😉 ) bikes.

markenduro
    Free Member

Like the first hardtail, not sure about the FS though, only a mother could love it…

speaker2animals

Here we go again. I won't repeat my comments of the last time that you showed us all your collection of Sevens.

Not that you are a show off at all.

Now then what was the comment? "More reliable than XX shifters" how do you know? I have yet to see any short or long term reports on production XX kit on the web or mags. But wot do I know.

PJ266
    Free Member

Not that you are a show off at all.

Jealousy mebbe? This is a bike wedsite, just as people on classic car websites post their classic cars.

solarider
    Free Member

speaker2animals. As with any post, if you don't like it, you don't have to read it!

The reliability point, as I explained, was about being able to shift to friction option should anything go wrong. Was that not self explanatory enough?

qwerty
    Free Member

Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Wrath, Sloth, Envy

looks like you got 'em all covered

which one is which though ?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

you, er, looking to retire at any point? i'm sure i could have a go at your job…. certainly willing to try for the pay you must be getting!

lovely bikes.

tails
    Free Member

Nice bikes gopping stems. Either way good work on that collection.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I think the road bike/cross bike look like they've been crashed into a wall at speed but If the owner likes them then who cares what I think?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Nice doors. Your bikes look a tad ornamental for my liking, have they ever seen mud / road?

oldgit
    Free Member

Keep us posted about the XX and be honest. I used the Middleburn Duo some years ago, but the upshift was dreadful with that system. So I'd love to know how SRAM have made the transition from inner to outer ring a smooth one.
    And can you easily swap back to a triple chainset for big enduro events or 24s.
    And will you be using it for purely race or will you do some general riding with it?
    Interogation over.

flange
    Free Member

Jesus Christ- the bloke posts pictures of some STUNNING bikes (stem or otherwise) and all you lot do is lay the boot in.

I think they're lovely, fair play to you and yours. I really like those Pauls mounts as well – could you fit those Return to Centre SRAM shifters on there?

piha
    Free Member

Quite some collection of bikes you've got there and good on yer for sharing em with us.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Jesus Christ- the bloke posts pictures of some STUNNING bikes (stem or otherwise) and all you lot do is lay the boot in.

Most of us have seen them before, to the OP do you have that photo of them all lined up outside?

Paisley
    Free Member

Stunning? Nah, nice but not stunning. Judging from the photos the OP is a tall fella and no bike is stunning in a big size. Headtubes are too long, ruins the look.

oldgit
    Free Member

Holy cow solarider just looked at the prices, I can get it trade but still.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Kato

hubba hubba

Wookster

😯 love that Ht dude proper, proper lush!!!!!!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Can I be the first to suggest that you need a road SS? Or if there is a mrs SR, a tandem. And a track bike. Do they make a jump bike? 🙂 My favourite is the rigid 29er, lovely bike that.

Here we go again. I won't repeat my comments of the last time

Look, the bloke is proud of his collection of bikes, and rightly so. I'm sure he's worked bloody hard for them, and could have wasted his cash on something stupid like a car instead. This is a bike forum, where people enjoy looking at nice bikes. Here are some, be happy for the guy that owns them!

JoeBones
    Free Member

Are Halfords the agent for them?

marsdenman
    Free Member

all that (expensive) attention to detail – yet, Sir, your ODI end caps are at all sorts of angles….. 🙄
    😀

reggiegasket
    Free Member

god that TT bike is a right minger 8) There's brand loyalty for you.

do SRAM not do an E-type mech for the XX gruppo, so you could run that on the fullsusser, rather than having to use a Red road mech?

The singlespeed is wonderful – I don't like it but what a fantastic beast 😯

baldSpot
    Free Member

Did I have too much mulled wine or do I only count 6 bikes?

rOcKeTdOg

loving the thumbshifters

bikerbruce
    Free Member

wow.
    give me an email maybe when you have riden the xx in mud etc…as im just wondering weather to stick with xtr reliability or move on to xx.
    well a lovely set of bikes.
    thanks
    Bruce

bananaworld
    Free Member

bananaworld
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

bananworld did you get a new green crayon and a bottle of scotch for Christmas 🙂
    I must say that Seven road bike with the carbon main triangle is the best ever bike I've had a ride on.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

erm……just a stab in the dark but i'm guessing you like to ride ti??? 😀

very nice btw, i'll need to save all my pocket money for the next decade!

bananaworld
    Free Member

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Managing to get a green light for two sets of XX in the same day – I'm betting your job involves some pretty incredible negotiation skills! (or you're single)

Love the first one!

Full suss – and TT – fugly

all the others….very nice!

PJ266
    Free Member

bananananaworld ^ I lold.

radoggair
    Free Member

surely an e-mail and pics to SEVEN about brand loyalty can maybe get you a big discount cometh the 8th addition ( not if but when by looks of it)

They are lovely bikes, think in a small ( my size) they would look awesome to me but i think smaller bikes do look better

woody2000

Is it just me, or does the OP need a size up? Love those niner forks, look great on that HT too. 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

Bananaworld. I would usually object to such a blatant hijacking of a thread, but loving your work there!

Hungry Monkey. These make what would otherwise be a pretty unenjoyable job worthwhile.

Kingtut. Rest assured, they all get lovingly abused.

Oldgit. I can't understand how they have done it but the inside of the 'big' (well, it's not that big actually!) ring is heavily shaped, and it works incredibly well. I'll keep you posted how it rides off the workstand.

Reggiegasket. Unfortunately SRAM don't do an E front mech. It's just about the only one they don't do, and since Seven use the Maverick suspension system, they recommend this way over an E front mech anyway.

BaldSpot. Check the piccies and put down the glass!

Paisley. I agree, smaller bikes look sweeter, but as I am tall, I don't have a whole lot of choice.

Thanks for the comments all. Yes, the TT and FS are 'individual' looking, but they look better in the flesh (ie only mildly ugly rather than truly fugly!).

solarider
    Free Member

Woody2000. They were all custom made, and I always specified as compact a frame as possible. My first real mountain bike was a Kona back in the day, and I have always liked the way it looked and rode. So, admitedly the seatposts are on the limit, but as many have pointed out, they are already big bikes, and I didn't want them looking too much like a gate!

woody2000

Ah, should have realised really. You're not gonna splurge that kind cash on the wrong sized bikes I suppose! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Look what just arrived! (SRAM XX/Seven Cycles content)’ is closed to new replies.