Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lost VW key Help
  • nukeproof
    Free Member

Only have one remote key and, reading the manual, it says we need a ‘key fob with a number’ to get a replacement: we haven’t got one! Anyone know if we can still get a replacement key?

wwaswas

“Anyone know if we can still get a replacement key?”

Pay an arm and a leg, usually 🙁

nukeproof
    Free Member

Pay an arm and a leg, usually

Yeah, thats what I’m expecting

Whoops, sorry…put in wrong forum in my state of panic: Any mods around to move it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

stupid question: have you really lost the other one?

nukeproof
    Free Member

have you really lost the other one?

Yep

marcus7
    Free Member

Problem is you get two normal keys a black plastic “wallet key” and the key number tag which a VW garage will use to re-cut an expensive key. I’m pretty sure VW will get you a key from the reg (you’ll need pukka id etc)but as they have said it will cost ya!

TheGingerOne

The 2 keys would be identical, but usually the ‘spare’ key has a plastic tag with it which contains the serial number for the keys. It might be on its own in with the service book / manuals (or wherever all the other car paperwork is).

I am not sure whether there is some all knowing VW supercomputer which would know your key serial number off of the VIN number?

TheGingerOne

Doh, too slow!!

marcus7
    Free Member

Don’t feel bad I only know this cos I sold my Bora today and managed to find the full set.. 😉

nukeproof
    Free Member

Whilst having to spend out is not good I’m more concerned that I will not be able to get a replacement key but I assume its got to be possible.

geoffj

You don’t need the plastic tab. As long as you have a working key/fob you can get another. I looked into this a while back and it was going to cost around £150.
    Luckily Mrs J found the one she had lost before I bought another.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Okay, that sounds promising. Just have to be sitting down when I get the quote from the VW dealer

Appreciate the advice…thanks

geoffj

…oh and don’t bother trying local locksmiths, VW have got it all covered.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Depends what age it is, if its an older one then you can ‘code’ the remote (about £80, but often found on ebay & VW forums for £30 upward)yourself, then get a new blade cut from the likes of thomsons, £10-15 & your sorted.
    I used to have a Seat Leon & wanted a ‘flip key’ managed to get a new one sorted for less than £50 using the above info.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Cheers.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Just quoted shy of £200 😯

geoffj

Just quoted shy of £200 [8O]

A tad more than I was quoted. FFS if this isn’t profiteering I don’t know what is.

carlos
    Free Member

Hi,

If you pull your key apart there is a long number (part number) something like HLO 1J0 959 753 AG (thats my key) and a very small 3 digit number, at a right angle to the part number, normally towards the end, either Mhz433 or MHz434(mines 434). Get on the bay and buy a key with a matching number and MHz code on it, obviously you will need a new blade and have to have it re-coded for it to work, so take it along to VW and get them to re-code and cut the key to suit your car. Think I paid around £85(vw) and £30 (e-bay). Maybe check with your local VW stealer and ask on the cutting and re-coding price as mine was bought etc.. in early 08.

HTH

Carl

ski
    Free Member

Carl speaks the truth, apart from needing 20/20 vision to read the HLO number 😉

Is your a 2 or 3 button remote nuke?

carlos
    Free Member

If you scroll down to the second post it shows where the part number and MHz numbers are, as Ski says they are very small and need good vision to read/see them.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/148545/984910.aspx#984910

Carl

nukeproof
    Free Member

Thanks carlos & ski.

ski – 3 button

The remote part of the quote was £65 so hopefully getting it off ebya should save me. Just a bit worried about pulling our ownly working key apart: does it just pull apart? Better google that as well

carlos
    Free Member

No worries
    Yes they just pull apart, can be a bit of a pain though as nothing to grip onto. Easiest way is to fit a key ring to one end and insert a finger, flip open the key and pull.

Carl

nukeproof
    Free Member

Cheers Carl. One more quick question. To start or open the car manually, is it just the blade or is the frequency/fob relevant there as well?

skidartist
    Free Member

HLO 1J0 959 753 AG (thats my key)

Makes note, orders key and starts stalking Carlos’ post for clues about where he might park his car.

Is it a nice car?

carlos
    Free Member

Skidartist, yeah I think so, you’ll need the SKC to programe your key though and proof of ownership etc.. for VW, so no worries there, other wise my key would work in every other VW with the same key part number and MHZ.

nukeproof, The Fob is the bit that allows you to start the car, a built in transponder/imobiliser is the bit that needs to be re-programed by VW to match your car, see reply to skidartist. The blade will open the car door, boot, glovebox and will fit into the ignition BUT it will NOT start the car until the codes match.

HTH

Carl

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lost VW key Help’ is closed to new replies.