Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Magura fork DIY service
  • auricgoldfinger

Anyone know if there is a similar guide to the fox one around for servicing these (mines an 08 Menja BTW).

Cheers

cy

There are loads of tech documents on Magura.com. If by service you mean a proper clean and lube, then it’s really easy – undo the nuts on the bottom of the fork, pull the legs off. Clean stanchions and instead sliders, funnel lots of suspension oil (10wt min) onto the foam rings undo the seals at the top of each slider leg. Slide legs back on, but before the piston rod ends poke through the holes in the bottom, turn upside down and pour another 10ml of oil into each leg. Push sliders right home and do up the nuts.

auricgoldfinger

Yep, that’s what I mean, a proper clean and service. I’ll have a trawl through the Magura website.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cy, you sound like you know what your doing with them, have you dabbled with the damping oil?

fancy putting in some thicker stuff (can hear cavation at 4 clicks form closed) and upping the volume to make them a bit more progressive.

RicB

Took me about 40mins to do a lowers service on my 100mm Laurins, and that was being very careful. Really very easy to do.

Couple of bits of advice gleaned from those who c*cked it up.

Of the two lower leg bolts, one is hollow (the rebound side). Don’t bash that to release the lowers. Instead use the solid bolt from the other leg (once that leg is released). Hollow bolt is apparently easy to shear off and probably very hard to replace.

Buy an oral syringe from your local pharmacy. They cost pence and make squirting oil into the lowers much easier and less messy. They also make squirting oil directly into the foam rings very easy. I saturated the foam rings without even having to remove them.

I personally added 23ml (the max recommended) 5wt synthetic oil to the air chamber. Just remove the top cap with a spanner and squirt it in (let the air out first!!) I was struggling to find the sweet spot between small bump compliance and bottoming out. Adding oil reduces the air chamber volume and makes the travel more progressive. Made a huge difference.

I was very impressed with the seals – 12 months of twice-weekly night riding and the foam rings were still like new.

auricgoldfinger

OK, bit of googling and found a forum post containing a pdf or a service manual from Magura.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

auricgoldfinger,
    Could you post that link?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Magura fork DIY service’ is closed to new replies.