Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Marmalades B&B – Accomodation on the Doorstep of Lee Quarry
  • scenetoomuch
    Free Member

With the Weekender approaching fast we’ve finally managed to sit down and tell you guys about our experiences up north last month, Matt and Elaine, sorry we’ve been so slow to put this up!

Last month myself, biggraham and dusterbenny went on a trip oop north to Lee/Cragg quarry and the Mary Towneley Loop. As confirmed southern softies we stopped at Cannock Chase on the way up which was the last sunshine we saw on the trip! On the way Graham managed to shred the wiring loom on his car rack which led to some slightly tense motorway driving with no indicators or brake lights, we were booked in a the truly great Marmalades B&B and on arrival both Matt and Elaine made us properly welcome with brews ready almost before we were in the door! A lovely welcoming house and excellent hosts made sure the drive was swiftly forgotten and on their recommendations a takeaway pizza (the second one from their place) was quickly sourced and consumed.

Next morning with the weather having closed in hard we abandoned all hope of the MTL and instead took Matt and Elaine up on the offer of a guide round “a short local loop” 5 hours later having been truly humbled by our hosts riding skills and fitness and our lack thereof we were back and hosing the bikes down and getting ready to head to Rawtenstall for a curry and a few beers, once again Elaine hooked us up with some recommendations for places to go, suffice to say we bumped into them later in a bar and I’m very sorry for forcing them to stay out till god knows when drinking (particularly the Sambuca!) and dancing when I’m sure they had better things to be doing! (and sorry for ruining Matt’s Sunday training ride and Elaine’s run, we might not be able to outride you but at least we can out drink you! well some of us can I don’t think Ben counts as he can’t remember most of it 🙂 )

Sunday dawned and several very rough looking bodies dragged themselves out for the Lee Quarry play/explore session for another 4 hours of rain and stupidly high winds though the boy’s in the trails comp kept us entertained and the burger van was an absolute godsend. Even in the sideways rain the trails were still rideable and we all managed to just about stay on the bikes, though hangovers and cross winds didn’t help.
    Sadly Monday dawned and back in the car, back home and back to work. We managed to stop at Cannock on the way back down and surprise surprise that’s where the sun came out!!

So what we wanted to do was just say a public thank you to Matt and Elaine and to tell you guys what a good time we had, we’ve never come across people so devoted to riding – from their local knowledge, attitude to the bike storage and repair (they put a stand up in their lounge!) to the free flowing coffee and breakfast choice.

Thanks again guys, we’ll see you in September, we’re already training!

http://www.marmaladesbandb.co.uk/

Also our photos are on Facebook if you’re interested

Pics

RenagadeMarmalade
    Free Member

Ahhh shucks guys we’re blushing here!

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write this, since opening the B and B it always surprises me how many thoroughly top people we meet.

If you’re back up in September and up for an epic there is always the MTL Challenge… I’ll get the Sambucas ready!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Marmalades B&B – Accomodation on the Doorstep of Lee Quarry’ is closed to new replies.